Boxing, MMA, and Kickboxing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheMightyMcClaw, May 30, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

again...
    go back and read my post.

I specifically stated... 'the average non-combat sports' person. Again... my example... a boxing clip and an MMA clip... and I've generally gotten the reactions that I posted.

I don't think that PPV stats are really representative of whether or not MMA is more generally accepted by a joe-average population than boxing.

You're mileage may vary.:rolleyes:
    (obviously)

2. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

From my experience, I'm inclined to agree. I don't know many boxing fans, but almost everyone I know has a pretty good grasp of what boxing is, what the basic rules are, and can name some of the more famous former champions. I also don't know many MMA fans, but with MMA, of the people who've even heard of it, most don't have any understanding of the rules, can't name even one fighter, and refer to it as "that ultimate-fighting stuff."

3. slipthejab

I should point out that I don't really have a vested interest either way in which one becomes more popular. Though if any fight promoter wants to cut me in on the profits I'm not going to turn him down. :D

I enjoy both and currently compete in boxing, muay thai and BJJ... maybe given some time I'll be up to scratch enough to actually do a bit of amatuer MMA.

But that is sort of tied in with my point really... people who do MMA have a very good idea about MMA. For that matter most martial artists have at least heard of it and can refer to it by name. But I really do think this is a very small section of the overall population.

Most martial artists forget... especially when spending time on MAP... that we really are not all that different from geeks at a Star Trek convention (which BTW in my book is just about as geeky as it gets). Sorry... I know that bruises egos... but it's true. Most people outside of those you train with have not a single solitary iota of interest in discussing martial arts. It's got about all the possibility to perk up a chat with a lady as a dead slug does... which is to say... none. Which is to say... well... you get the idea.

Beam us up Scotty!!:p

4. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I looked to the sky and Slip gave the answer :D

5. slipthejab

LOL! :p

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I will take a stab at kickboxing! As GC points out it died a quiet death in the 90's and my guess for why is simply......

After competitors threw their required 8 to 10 kicks per round, the matches turned into nothing more then boxing matches. I used to watch Kickboxing matches and think why they even put a limit on the kicks. I mean, if the participants are going to get their kicks out of the way early in the round, why shouldn't I just watch a boxing match?

Some recent changes to K1 fights I have seen on like ESPN 158 :D have actually made rules like: You can't throw a kick unless it is in a combination with a punch!

7. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

well your economic approach to boxing's popularity is exactly what i was gonna say... but u posted first...
    and also those sicilians who funded guys like marciano wouldnt like two half naked guys on top of each other on the floor lol

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Can certainly see that :D My sister amuses me of stories of some guy trying to chat her up with something along the lines of "I'm a black belt in karate".
    I think the only difference between star trek fans an MAist, is that star trek fans know that other people really aren't that interested.

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I can vouch for the fact that not all of them do. :rolleyes:

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

good point....i once invited a bunch of people from my medical school to a fight of mine. i won and ii thought they would all be impress. some were but most most opinions ranged from me being a bit strange to a mindless barbarian.

most couldnt realize why anyone would want to spend there of time being punched in the face.

my close buddy...defending me..."he is not a sadistic animal, he does it to unwind and relax, im not sure how getting bunched in the face is relaxing....me. i try to avoid situations where i am getting punched in the face.

on the other note alot of women told me it was barbaric, inhuman and they did not appove.........but i got a lot more action from them after :) dames just try to figure them out

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I gots to jump on the "I disagree" bandwagon. While I know some people who prefer MA over boxing, when I tell people I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the reaction is usually "wha...?" A lot of people have a passing familiarity with the ufc, but can tell you a lot more about boxing.

12. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Not sure if this is true, but aparently pay per veiw UFC outsells pay per veiw Boxing in America these days.

Although i geuss it depends whos fighting

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well then i mustve found the goldmines. i lived in fort hood texas and now im in the outskirts of DC and people here know plenty about mma. could be cause highschool wrestling is big here though.

14. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

You might be onto something. I remember most of the wrestlers in my high school (Michigan is also very big for high school wrestling) being into the UFC.

15. outspokenreflex

outspokenreflex Valued Member

lol. when did MA become something other than a street fight. i thought that was the whole point of MA...to fight.

16. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I think it is probably more of an age thing than that wrestling is popular in your area. MMA does seem to be more popular with those 30 and younger. If you talked to a bunch of people in their 40's and 50's, I think you would find that boxing is much more popular. I imagine that it would be what the person grew up with.

However, I do think that most wrestlers would prefer mma instead of boxing because they can actually bring their background into the sport.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Ft Hood, Texas? Military, right? Then it doesn't surprise me in the least MMA was popular there. DC? Well, most major metropolitan areas would be in the know. You're also correct about the wrestling thing, especially with Title 9 (?) killing most wrestling programs to balance out the male/female sports ratio. MMA gives wrestlers somewhere to go when their programs get chopped out of the budget to make way for gymnastics or cheerleading ;)

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

once again spot on. its kinda a bit of a funnel effect.he is a young male. so he probable hands with a bunch of young males which happen to be the mma strong demagrapic. also texas is home of the lions den too (i think).

i bet you met a lot of criminals in your daily life...so everone is a criminal

i meet a lot of sick folk ...so everyone must be sick.