Boxing Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Im fighting the nfl looking dude, lol.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Seek and destroy!!!!

3. Hannibal

And remember of they are bigger than you you the allowed to kick...apparently

4. Ero-Sennin

Well, ended up getting knocked out in the second round.

Not sure how the fight went. I remember about 3 or 4 punches honestly. The pace/intensity was definitely something different. Not sure how big my opponent was but he was a good head taller than me (I'm 6') and probably had me by 30 lbs.. He really looked like an NFL athlete. :p

Supposedly I was doing good in the first round from what I was told, then in the second the people from the gym were telling me I looked like I was getting tired and dropping my hands which was why I was getting caught. Beyond fatigue, taking a few punches from a guy that big was rocking me. It was an unreal feeling honestly. I took a few punches that made my body buzz, then I threw I caught a big lead hook from the guy and went down. Didn't feel like I could move my legs until the doc was at the corner talking to me.

I don't really know how I'm supposed to feel or think about this. I'm definitely going to continue cutting weight. I was 215 on the dot (216 is where it goes to 'unlimited') and could have denied the fight but I was anxious. Definitely not in my best interest to be as heavy as I am so I'm going to continue to keep working hard and getting to a lighter weight class where I feel comfortable.

Nothing much else to say. Will be back in the gym in the morning. If I can get a hold of a video I'll post it.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Props to you sir.

From what I've read you didn't have the best run up to the fight, but took it anyway.

You've now got more experience than most martial artists here because you've stepped through the ropes.

I'm not a competition fighter, but from reading many posts over several years here it's the level of conditioning that takes most by surprise during their first fight.

Sure winning would have been nice, but let's be honest about where we are. We're not professional fighters. We are hobbyists that take the sport seriously. So with that in mind how do we improve?

Maybe you've learn more lessons by taking a loss. It's a cliché, but there is a truth behind it.

Again, props for stepping through the ropes and I raise my hat to you.

6. Hannibal

What Simon said :)

Bro this took balls and guts - you will have learned and grown so much from this you cannot begin to measure it. Well done for doing it and good on you for letting us come on the ride

Rest up, have a beer and let's get ready for the next one!

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It may not be a win in the record books, but anytime you come out of a fight with no permanent injury, it is a win in life.

Most important right now is making sure you are following doctors orders.

About cutting weight. I've been told that if you go down a weight class (say you go down to 205) then you will be stronger compared to someone that has to go up (e.g. gain weight). So going down a weight class or maybe two should be an advantage for you. Going down several weight classes, well there is a point where losing too much weight is a disadvantage.

As for how you should take it. I don't know. I remember telling a fighter that he should be happy he is alive, he seemed to smile at that, but he could easily have taken it differently to what I said.

I can say that losing is great for learning to be humble. Sometimes fighters get a bit egotistic and a good lesson in humility is due. However, losing can kill your confidence... so if you have doubts, it is natural... it will pass.

I can't say I'm happy about the match making for your fight. I don't want to make accusations, but you were set up in at least that it was a mismatch. Whether intentional to build the fight record up for their fighter, or unintentional and that was just to get you a fight... you should not be fighting your first fight against someone that out weighs you, someone with five fights to your none in experience, and a winning record to boot.

You took the fight though. So water under the bridge.

Heal up and keep training. I give you a standing ovation!!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Sounds exactly like my first ABA experience, tried to fight too heavy and put down in the second with a left hook!

You've done it though, the next one you'll be more aware of what to prepare for.

Something I noticed reading through is the amount of rounds you spar, going 6-7 rounds is all good but the pace is totally different fighting 3x2 at ABA, more of a sprint than a marathon, maybe try nocking shorter more intense spar sets? Just my 0.2c

Well done bud, takes week off and come back stronger!

9. Ero-Sennin

Thanks for the support guys. I should be getting the video today and hopefully it's decent quality. I'm going to refrain from making any comments about myself until I view the video myself because I really only remember a few things.

I really think you have a point about sparring though Seiken, and needing to do sparring at that pace/intensity more. My mind isn't drawing a blank about the fight from being knocked out, it was the pace/intensity that kept me from being able to really process what was going on and that is a significant problem.

Edit: Something I forgot to add was the Doc at the fight made me sign a 30 day thing to say I couldn't fight due to a possible concussion. Kept my passbook and everything and can't get it back until the end of the 30 days. I remember going to get it and the doc was explaining things to me about concussions. I stopped him mid-way, told him I was in the military and getting knocked out was like being next to an IED explosion (another great experience of mine) so I was aware of what to look for as far as signs of a concussion. He gave me a weird look and stopped explaining stuff to me : P. That is what it feels like though, accept the body numbness was a little stronger. I kind of feel like a dummy for saying that, but I didn't want to sit there and have concussions explained to me for the 5-10 minutes that he seemed to want to explain it to me.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations on getting in the ring! :)

11. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Congrats, Ero!

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Finally! After all our chats in er... Chat on getting a fight, one of us actually fought!

Not the result you wanted but as Hannibal said You had the guts and cajones to get in there.
    Well done!

13. Ero-Sennin

Alright, so here it is. Youtube took forever to process it. Quality isn't great but if you view it full screen it's easier to see stuff. Not going to comment on it myself right now, don't feel like it. We went over it in depth in the gym but I don't feel like taking the time to write everything out currently. I will say the end where I get knocked down is pretty funny. It looks like I'm about to pop right back up but instead just roll over and quit. I was trying to move but my body wasn't responding. I couldn't really move my legs until the doc was at the corner, and by then the fight was already called. Well, anyways, here's to learning:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4DBVu2FdQ"]Me Getting Knocked Out - YouTube[/ame]

14. Hannibal

Dude! He was HUGE!! Kudos rating gained an instant +10 right there!

15. Ero-Sennin

Wasn't he? I didn't think I was exaggerating saying he looked like an NFL player. :p

Would have really meant something if I had won. Losing on the other hand, always means a lot more.

I feel an urge to go to the "Does Size Matter thread" and just post "yes."

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You sure he weighed in at 215? in LBs not in KGs

17. Hannibal

I think that has to be a 215+ category! He was 240 if he was an oz!

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

...yeah, you were always going to struggle. You need to be a lot better than your opponent if you are going to give away the best part of a foot in height and with his record, I'm not sure you could assume you were going to be much better.

You showed really good aggression (occasionally a bit too much) but yeah, your hands were guarding for a groin shot for a lot of the second round. It looks like you got dropped because you flew in (with what looked a lot like a superman - nice) and then didn't recover your defence in time to deal with his clubs.

But I don't think you disgraced yourself at all. A lot of people would have started running away, but you kept on getting inside to throw your shots.

And smile, you probably wont face anyone as big as that again.

19. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Firstly guts for fighting him without kneeing him in the nads then supplexing him...

Secondly guts and props to you for having the wherewithal to put the video out there.

Good Luck and keep at it.

20. Ero-Sennin

To put the entire thing into context, I weighed in for the 'super heavyweight class' that goes from 201 lbs to 215 lbs. At 216+ it goes into the 'unlimited' weight class. My opponent supposedly weighed in at 230 lbs but there is a chance that number is a little fishy but that's what we were told. I'm not sure exactly what goes on at these events but I'm not going to point fingers or take guesses to see if things were said to us to make things seem more acceptable to accept the fight. As far as I'm concerned he was 230 lbs. If he was 260 lbs I would have still fought so it doesn't really matter. Dude was just a giant.

However, I still have around 20-30 lbs I can drop in body fat until I'm "ripped" so against a dude who was 230 lbs all muscle was definitely a disadvantage either way. That's two weight classes to drop for me still and I'll definitely continue my weight loss to do it. I had a real rough year in 2012 getting out of the military and being unemployed for an extended period of time. Lots of depression and anxiety and well . . . eating with minimal activity. I was 215 coming back from Afghanistan mostly muscle, then shot up to about 260 lbs of "very chubby looking guy who looks like he used to work out a lot." I haven't really focused on dropping down in weight until Jan. of this year when I started school and really started to get myself back together mentally and physically, so I've already knocked 45 lbs off since then. Just a bit more to go, shouldn't take too long as long as I keep doing things right.

Overall I think from January to today, and overcoming a very tough period of my life last year (still not entirely) I've been doing pretty well for myself in boxing and life in general. Getting knocked out seems like it's just going to motivate me further to better myself and give me reason to. I know what breaking feels like and I don't feel like that. So just one foot in front of the other with a video to remind me of why I need to keep moving.