Boxing Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I really didn't think you were show boating all that much, but it is hard to tell the difference between show boating and baiting. Maybe one time in the videos I thought it was actually show boating... but that one time was enough for me to make a call on it. If this makes sense to you.

When you bait your opponent with head forward, you can defend by moving the head away or to the side. If you move your head back, you can use a whiplash type counter, by snapping your head back forward with the punch for power. If you move your head to the side, you are already weight forward so you can shoot in with a lunging punch, etc. I believe you demonstrated both types of counting from your head forward bait set up.

One thing is that the hips are faster than the head. What your bait and counter is set up for is the straight line punch; however, how well are you set up for the offline uppercut or hook?

Here is what we "teach" folks to do when the opponent leans forward in boxing... I know this is Mike Tyson, so obviously he is tough and better than we are at this, but the technique uses the hips and legs and can be faster than the head can be at moving out of the way from a lean.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2JxpcJ2BA"]Mike Tyson - The Uppercut! - YouTube[/ame]

If your opponent worked the uppercuts and hooks whenever you put your head forward, your counter is not as good an option compared to off a straight punch.

Cheers

Edit: I'll say it again, I think your sparring is pretty solid. Keep up the good work. The leaning forward, just be careful about that as a habit. You can use it to counter and gain power, but it does come at a cost. I've seen many knockouts from people leaning forward and getting kicked in the head with a Muay Thai round kick... but I know this is boxing... so I won't push that point.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I liketo use it after I throw Jab cross combo, I have pretty long arms for a guy only 5 11, that might be what helps me. I also like it after a really thundering kick to his gut, the best most guys can do after I land a hard kick is cover up or move to clinch or move back. I really like your light footed attitude inthe ring at times, but your knees hip and back dont look like their all working together, I think you could really utilize the bob and weave to create some better body shot opertunites, I could never do this until I started udeing some really radical dunbell techniques, try getting on your hands and knees, mind that your back is slightly bowed up an grab a dumbell with enough weight you can rep it 15 to twenty times, then go back to shadow boxing, use your bob and weave throw shots as you move up and down, a stair stepper is also good at getting those hips faster. Anyway Im just talkingto hear my head rattle now, your looking goodkid.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Nice vids, although "Fisheye" lens should be used sparing in my opinion :p

Not much further to add, and we (me and you Ero) on chat a lot comparing stuff anyway

:)

keep up the good work.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's difficult posting sparring videos and getting them critiqued when you're not in the 'super No0b' phase. There's always situations with people in the gym the internet community wouldn't be familiar with where you may do things you normally wouldn't, or if you're doing something situational so other areas are lacking. It takes a trained eye to notice things like lunging in slightly with a cross or a wrong pattern of footwork vs. seeing a beginners mistake like not returning your hands back to your face after a punch, running too much or not moving enough which are easily identifiable. Regardless it's nice to get feed back and I have video to reference of myself now in discussions about Boxing so I'm not just talking out of my butt.

I went to chat a few times to let you know I posted some stuff up, but you weren't there :cry:

5. Mushroom

There now, but not for long due to work.

During training/padwork etc when I'm with someone with less experience, I always give the mantra of "Circle away from powerhand". However sometimes in sparring/fighting you either don't have a choice or when you do circle you just be aware or be aggressive (ie jab away) so they can't throw that big hook.

So its understandable that you circle "the wrong way" but as long as you remember to keep your hands up then I say its fine. But against people like Hendo or Fedor...I would just run in a retreating circular path :p

6. Ero-Sennin

Whelp, got a guy for June 1st who weighs in at 187 currently. I weigh in at 220. I have to drop 20 lbs of water weight in the next week. Seriously looking forward to it (not really). Wish me luck. Will probably update weight every day and what I'm doing to cut. Didn't find out until this afternoon so I accidentally had some carbs for breakfast. Anyways . . . .

Day 1 - 2 Gallons water, cutting out carbs.

Weight: 220lbs

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Damn is that even possible? Just start camping out in a sauna ;) Good luck though.

8. Mushroom

:/

Its possible but extremely horrible.

9. Ero-Sennin

Correction, I weighed in at 222.6lbs. I'm also not starting to drop weight until Monday, maybe Sunday if I feel like I need to. I'll probably still cut carbs and be drinking 2 gallons of -distilled- water until I start cutting it to a gallon on Monday or Tues.

I did however do a trial run in a 40 minute workout (30 min shadow boxing/jumping rope in a sauna suit) and came back to the house 8 lbs lighter at 214.6 lbs. While I'm light headed and can't get up too fast because I lost that much water so quickly, I feel ok. Probably won't be the case during next week though :p.

I think because I still have a bit of chub on me I'm retaining a whole lot of water, so cutting the 22 lbs probably isn't going to be as horrendous as it would be for somebody who is @10% body fat. I'm sure it's still going to be hell though. The worst part is the weigh in is at 5 P.M., the fights start at 8 P.M.. The guy I'm fighting is at 187lbs so I have to drop 2 weight classes to get to his, but he's 18 yrs old and it's his first fight as well. Fighting at a gym called "Crosses 4 Christ." Novice bouts are supposed to be 3x2 min rounds, 1 min break so I just have to go hard for 6 min. : P.

So, game plan is getting down in weight, and after the weigh in hitting pedialyte, gatorade, fruit w/ brown sugar, oatmeal, and probably some type of lean meat like protein right away and then keep on hydrating until 30-45min out. Hopefully the show is ran crappy so there is plenty of delay before I fight giving me more time to hydrate.

Anyone who has experience, suggestions are more than welcomed.

10. Ero-Sennin

Felt horrible all last night from dropping that much water weight in such a short time. Just wanted to gauge how much I could lose though. Woke up at 215 lbs and feeling decent, but mildly dehydrated gauging by the color of my urine.

I'm now going to start cutting out all carbs and lowering sodium out of my diet and keep the 2 gallons of water intake up. I'm not going to drink distilled water yet though. I sweat a lot and easily, and I'm guessing I lose a lot of sodium that way. My physical activity level (low impact stuff like walking for a few hours) is going to be increased a lot and that will keep my sweat going and I'll be losing plenty of sodium that way. Don't want to deplete it entirely since that's rather dangerous, especially for me and how much I sweat. I'm hoping carb/sodium depletion will land me around 210 by the middle of next week before the suck starts.

I'm hoping by Friday I'm around 205lbs, that way I can wake up Sat. and soak in a hot bath and possibly sit around in my sauna suit for a bit to lose that last little bit and weigh in at 200lbs. First time really doing this stuff, hoping my body drops water weight with ease without killing myself too much.

Starting Weight for the day: 215 lbs

Water: 2 Gallons, filtered tap

Food Intake: Low carbs/protein - High protein/fat

11. Ero-Sennin

Yep, no.

Absolutely not.

I'm sitting around 210 right now. I can't stand up without getting a little light headed and I feel like total garbage. I'm confident I could get down to the 200 I need to be at by Friday, but rehydrating within 3 hours enough to fight? Hell no, not happening. I tried to rehydrate/refuel yesterday after hitting the track (bad experience, thank god I had a running partner who provided me a life saving orange while sitting down with me for 40 minutes) and it took me about 5 hours just to feel like I could walk around, much less fight. I would probably continue if I had more than 3 hours from weigh-in to fight time, but the amount of time I would have to refuel is just ludicrous to think possible.

Well, I tried, I know what it feels like to be dropping this amount of water weight for the future, and I'm confident there is no way in hell you could do this safely without having a significant amount of time and resources to get yourself back up to fighting condition.

12. Ero-Sennin

Well, getting ready to leave for my first amateur fight! As far as the situation goes we had notified the promoter earlier in the week that I could not drop down to 200lbs to fight the guy they had originally who was 0-0. I tried, and it's not happening unless I have 24 hours to rehydrate/refuel. From that situation I learned I could lose about 8 lbs in a day for a same day weigh-in and be comfortable to fight. The promoter later that same day ended up with another guy who was in the 201-215 weight class which I can be in no problem as I hover around 215-220 currently (woke up at 217 this morning). Later on in the week we were notified that I can "stop trying to cut any weight." We're assuming this is because the guy we are supposed to be fighting is going to be coming in over 215, which is fine. He's 4-1 so he has the experience, but it is just Novice (under 10 fights, 3x2 min rnds) so I don't think it's too big of a deal when discussing skill level. I haven't eaten or drank anything since waking up because I may or may not have to drop a couple pounds at the weigh-in in water weight which will take me about 10 min. in my sweat suit that I'm bringing just in case.

I have a bowl of berries, yams w/ brown sugar and some greek yogurt to munch on as my pre-fight meal and I am so tired of waiting around right now. We're bringing a camera to the fight and are going to try and get somebody from the gym to film, but no promises. I'll post it up whether I win or lose if we do take one though.

I'm glad the guy I'm fighting is 4-1 honestly. It'll mean a little more if I win and give me more confidence in helping other people learn boxing. More than beating a guy who is 0-0 anyways.

Wish me luck :p

Or not, if you hate me you can hope I get knocked out. That's ok too. ;)

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

All the best.

Hopefully everything goes to plan.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Good luck Bro! Wear tap out shorts and your victory would be assured of course....

Let us know how you do

15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Everything cross for you bud.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Hey man, I didn't want to say anything before due to I not knowing how you would take it, but sometimes the promoters and match makers don't always have your best interests in mind. Promoters want to make their guys look good and in many cases they will try to set up mismatches to pad their fight record.

Having you drop several weight classes in such a short time would have brought you in at a disadvantage to their guy. Now fighting someone that is 4-1 and you in your first fight is also looking like a mismatch.

Since you are brave and you are friend, I say accept this. It is your choice the attitude you will take in and have in this first fight. Accept that your opponent may hit you with punches from where you don't see and from a distance you think you are safe.

I say this because I want to pass on a little wisdom, however it may help you. When you get in the ring and the opponent and the crowd seem greater then they are, you may get psyched out and distracted. People will shout things from the crowd that may bother you. Your opponent may seem all too much together for you to deal with. This may kill your confidence and overwhelm you. You may have trouble dealing with the speed.

Okay, maybe my motivational skills suck right now.

As you gain experience, the speed will slow down and that is one reason getting in to the ring is important. Just remember that you control your own attitude, you control how brave you are. A few things that may help you:

1. Trust your instincts
    2. Listen to your corners (very important!!!)
    3. Stick to your game plan
    4. If knocked down, don't come back fighting right away, take the standing 8 count (you should already know this)

Good luck friend. Kick some ass.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Let us know how it goes mate.

Guard up - Chin Down.

Good Luck

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Man, you are the Apex predator! No fear now, just the taste of victory. The training was hard, the fight is just a formality.

19. Ero-Sennin

Just finished weighing. Actually don't even know who I'm fighting now. Only three guys in my weight class I saw. Two normal looking guys, and the. A 7 foot giant that looks more like an nfl player than a boxer : P. and now more waiting.

20. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Good Luck! And remember, blood makes the grass grow!