Boxing Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Overall it looked like basic boxing training, good stuff. I think you have a great jab and an overhand right to go with it, your close range looks solid but I think your maybe not quit active enough at times in close range you missed some oppertunites for the hook to the body but overall your good at that range. Now for my critisism lols, work the longer range hook more, your shoulder rolling a little and thats good but tie a long range hook onto the end of that Id like to see that.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Phew! I was worried it looked like basic TKD training! :D :p

What exactly do you mean by 'long hook.' Against faster/skilled opponents, long hooks become a pretty dangerous maneuver, only minimized if you're coming in hard and following it with consecutive punches. One thing I didn't see myself doing much in this sparring video is dip/slip to the side and coming back with a lead hook which I've been trying to make an automatic reaction lately, not sure if that's what you meant by your description of 'long hook' or if you mean just throwing a hook from straight punch range?

@Simon - Is there something I can do to make the videos appear in the thread so a MOD doesn't have to come through to make that happen?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

More sideways movement I reckon. You have good head movement, and you can really hit that body too!

I mention sideways movement because it's the way I box and I'm a lot lighter than you are, so it might have to be a different style for a heavier lad.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Your jab is top notch Ero! I think everyone else has said that anyway but just had to reiterate!

Your footwork has improved a lot from the first vid too. One tiny critique is that you tend to "fall" into your advance - you seem slightly off balanced advancing at times, a bit like "reaching in" to cover the distance for the cross. It is more apparent in the first vid and like I said you had really sharpened up on the feet between now and then

Much kudos and respect for posting these bro

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sweet! From around 4'20" to 4'30" looked particularly good to my eyes. Loved the lead-hand hook at 4'30", there was a particularly tasty jab at around 2'30" too.

Like you said, your footwork was a bit linear. You don't move your head much either.

Do you do the ducking under ropes/slacklines practice?

Obviously, I don't do boxing, but one thing I like to do with my guys in sparring is only let one strike, the other can only dodge & evade. I've found that to get the head movement going nicely.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Oh yeah, I forgot:

When you're storming in, are you supposed to be coming square-on?

Anyway, that's some awesome TKD brah! :p

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Probably, but it's way too much for my tiny brain. :confused:

All I do is open the video, then go to my own channel and the "recently watched" section. I add the link from there and it always seems to work.

Anyway, I'm happy to do it. I've done a few today.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ok, cool! I'll try out what you did to see if it works. I had a couple other videos I wanted to put with that one because it was on the same day, but I didn't know it took so long to upload and was ready for bed by the time I got that one uploaded.

9. Ero-Sennin

That's one thing I've been trying to correct myself on, the 'falling in.' You described exactly what I'm doing, trying to cover distance to throw the cross. Getting in to throw shorter range punches is also difficult because of this and it's something I haven't quite fixed yet. Just need more sparring time!

@Chad - I think the lack of lateral movement is something you start seeing with bigger fighters. I also have a bit of a "stand in front of you" type of style. However that doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way! It's one of the things I'll get around to working on with sparring and I've been doing more of it during bag work and shadow boxing. I haven't hit that point where it's natural enough in training to incorporate it in sparring yet (in my mind anyways). I really want to be able to hit good lateral movement to get angles on guys at a close range in the future so I can stay in the pocket without worrying about getting hit. Currently I move 'too dramatically' and end up getting caught with it. Awesome that you picked up on that.

10. Ero-Sennin

I tend to stay away from the ducking exercise because the only place to do it in the gym requires me to do a full squat to dip under the rope! Sucks being taller sometimes. Now that you mention it though, I would probably benefit from doing it regardless to help me out with my head movement. I'm not great with the 'peek-a-boo' style which incorporates a lot of head movement. Definitely a weakness.

As far as situational sparring, it'll be harder to get a video of those because that doesn't always happen in the ring. We do it though. One of my favorite drills to do teaches reaction to a combination and involves one guy throwing no less then 3 punches, and the other guy has to answer back immediately with 3-5 of his own. That way you're learning to 'throw more then one' and not clamming up. The guy not throwing also has to evade/block. Another one I like is a guy throwing 5-6, and the other has to interrupt the combo by throwing punches.

11. Pretty In Pink

It's cool man, my Instructor shouted "move sideways" like 3 times each in 3 consecutive sparring rounds so it's not like I'm brilliant at it myself. I want to spar with you! :D

12. Ero-Sennin

Alright, let's give these two videos a go with correct embedding.

This sparring happened on the same day. If you missed the description in the first one I had already ran for 30min and did 30 min rope/bagwork/shadowboxing. These are rnds 5 and 6 of sparring for me.

It's going to be a bit boring. The guy I'm in with here still has to get comfortable in the ring but he can hit like a ton of bricks. He also has to work on being comfortable being in punching range. I'm not moving much and I'm working on countering off of his punches, only coming in a few times. It's not the same kind of sparring work as the previous video, more technical on counter punching. The first clip is funny as crap because I catch a cramp in my calf towards the end.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GU5IqvSC2I"]tireorange - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX9dVRwly_o"]tireorange 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: Good call Simon! Totally worked!

Edit:Edit: Does anyone else like how these videos look like CCTV? I half expect to see somebody coming in the gym shooting the place up when watching these.

13. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Yes, hook from straight punch range, you had that guy balled up a few good times and I felt you had the reach on him, maybe a shuffle back and a hard lead hook followed with some kind of lungeing punch. You look good though. Now that I think about it Im going to watch the video again to see if your avoiding punches with waist and body movement or if your useing a arm defense, if your slipping and rolling punches the longer range hook is more effective for me, maybe for you to, I dont like to throw a long hook from hands up position I prefer a hands further down point of origin for that punch, but anyway I can tell your better than me so, take what you can from my babbleing and continue to work.

14. Ero-Sennin

I see what you're saying. I used to do what you're describing a lot when I first started a year ago. In the videos I just posted I believe I do a lead hook from long range in the first video at some point and it lands.

The thing with leading with a mid/short range punch (hook or uppercut) is that it can be dangerous against an opponent who is looking to counter or is fast. It's really easy to see coming and avoid or counter. You have to either set it up, be significantly faster, or use it as a surprise by deviating from your own style that you've established during the round to make it work. From my experience it's more of a finesse move or a show of prowess and isn't extremely effective; it can also put you in a very bad position. God help you if you don't have your right hand up when you come in with it too : P.

15. Pretty In Pink

That first video there, every time you throw a jab you circle towards his right hand, look what happened to Bisping. :p

You can circle that way, but you don't want to go more than two steps in any direction. You could hit the heavy bag and just throw jabs and move left and right. Or alternatively you could stance feet shoulder width apart and throw your right hand like a jab and circle to his left.

Again man, you're doing well and it's oh-so-easy to critique, so I'm just letting you know you have mega respect for uploading videos!

16. Ero-Sennin

What you're saying is spot on advice! What you don't know is that the guy I'm sparring in that video is currently a bit 1 diminutional and has a very, very heavy lead hook that he throws constantly if I get close, hence why I'm circling away from it :p. That lead hook from him jars you even if you block it! I'll probably fix myself when his cross starts coming along, because I will be moving right into it!

17. Pretty In Pink

Aaaah, the lead hook. With people that like to do that I often just cover and hit at the same time. If you hit them enough to respect you they stop doing it pretty quickly :p

18. Ero-Sennin

That usually works but in his case it's his "reaction out of anxiety" punch, meaning it is his go to in a stressful situation in sparring no matter what is going on. Even if I block it I end up getting jarred by it and it's annoying, I was surprised when I got caught with it a couple months ago sparring with him for the first time and how hard it was. Totally a familiarity situation with sparring partners in the same gym that nobody would be aware of on MAP.

The guy I'm sparring with in those videos has actually come a long way and I spend a lot of time working with him. He used to be a runner instead of just keeping (too much) distance (literally circling the perimeter of the ring about 30 times in one round), and would put his head straight down whenever you came near while swinging wildly. He's had a lot of improvement on calming down, but there is still a lot of work to be done. Currently I'm trying to work with him on getting comfortable being in the pocket, but things take time. If I were sparring him to beat him I would be doing exactly what you suggested, but after working some 'in and out' tactics for a bit because he tires out quickly if you're putting a lot of pressure on him. Not too constructive for him so I tend to not do that unless I'm being selfish about my sparring work : P.

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sorry, I'm not sure which one in the video is you. I will say the white shirt and the gray shirt. Just one or so point on each.

White shirt: Your jab is late. If you are using the falling step mechanics for power on your straight lead punch/jab, the jab has to hit before your foot completely hits the ground. If you step and all the force of your movement goes into the ground, and then your jab hits.... you are losing power and your jab is late. Once you get that jab to hit solid with the falling step mechanics, the rest of the combos will come into play, like the jab/right cross combo. On the positive, kudos for keeping your hands up. Just relax a bit and move at the hips... keep in mind that head movement is generated from the hips and legs (not just moving your head)... so do some dancing... twist and shout. I like big butts... oh wait... don't sing that in sparring.

Gray shirt: You are show boating when you stick your head out. Stop show boating. Otherwise, pretty solid sparring, IMHO.

Edit: Ah you are the gray shirt. I will look to see if I have more comments for you.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  20. Ero-Sennin

Yep, definitely the grey shirt! In my defense I don't stick my head out to show boat. I hate when people are doing it with that intent. I'm trying to bait the other guy to throw so I can counter when I do it. Another thing I do is put my guard up really high to bait somebody to throw at my body, but I'm not doing it in either video.

If you go to 3:05 on the second sparring video I posted (post 40, page 3) you'll see me stick my head out, then bring my arms up to guard my head. We were joking about it when viewing the video in the gym because I remember my thought process was, "Ok, let me see if I can bait him . . . wait, no, let me put my guard up because he's too fast and I'm going to get clocked."