Boxing Illustrated August 1967

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by ned, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Recently came across this copy of boxing Illustrated from August 1967 ( month and year of my birth ! )which I thought might be of interest to some here.

Front cover features potential fighters for the tournament to contest the vacant HW title,following Ali's refusal of the draft and subsequent stripping of his Title.
    Jimmy Ellis eventually won,in a slightly revised line up,a title recognised by boxing councils of NY,Illinois,Maine,Mass.and Penn.
    Frazier beat Buster Mathias in a separate WBA/WBC contest,later becoming undisputed champion by beating Ellis in a unification fight at MSG in 1970.
    Ali got his licence back the following year and the rest as they say,is history.

Back cover is a great shot from the Dick Tiger vs Jose Torres rematch which ended in a riot after Torres lost on a tight decision,not popular with the largely Puerto Rican crowd.

Also of note is this piece by Reg Gutteridge,concerning the infamous split glove incident in the (then) Clay vs Cooper fight;

"When a then non-champion Cassius clay fought Henry Cooper at Wembley he was knocked on the seat of his pants,wobbly-eyed,with the best left hook cooper ever threw.No fluke.Clay's eyes looked like organ stops but he picked himself up at 'four' and before cooper could unload his punches the bell sounded.
    Before Clay came out for the fifth there was a hullabaloo in his corner when trainer Angelo Dundee,yelled for a new glove to replace Clay's torn left glove.
    The story goes that Dundee smartly split the glove to give Clay more
    respite.
    Here are the facts and the picture to prove them.
    The glove was split in the third round and I sat among concerned Board of Control officials who sent a man scurrying for a replacement during that round.But the glove was never replaced,and the interval between fourth and fifth round when clay came out to cut Cooper up was not extended.
    The loose hair came out of the glove when Clay,alarmed by Cooper's hooking Power,aimed his cutting blows in round five.
    The picture shows Clay climbing off the canvas with the left glove ripped. so please,no more distorted stories please."

Interesting ringside perspective on a much debated incident (let's not bring up the smelling salts !)

Attached Files:

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That's quite a find, Ned. I sometimes have a bit of luck finding old magazines and the occasional book - but they don't pop up too often these days.

I found an old, out of print book on boxing technique a few months ago and bought it for not too much. Of course, it got misplaced during our recent move. :mad:

The best ones are, like in your case, the ones that contradict what we think of as 'historic fact' or offer a different, fresh perspective on an old, time-worn story.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Awesome find there!