Boxing Gloves - What to look for

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Wadey, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

Wasn't sure which forum was best for this (mods, please move if you feel relavent)

I've got my first san shou tournament coming up in just over two weeks and I need to get some 10oz gloves for this. I've got 14oz that I use for every day, but I've been told 10oz is the size I need.

Is there anything I should look for in the type of glove or is there no difference between training standard gloves and competing (if I'm making any sense!)?

I've found these ones which seem ok:
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-fight-gloves-753123

What do you think? :confused::confused:

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've heard good things about that brand (from a former boxer and trainer), for whatever that's worth. I can't tell you what to look for, specifically. But he recommended Lonsdale to me when we were talking about gloves.

3. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Pro Lonsdale gloves are good, and very expensive. The type of Lonsdale that sports direct and argos sell are absolute rubbish.

If you simply want them for one fight and won't have much use for them afterwards then I guess they might be worth it. Or if you want a pair of gloves that'll last you for years I'd go for these:

http://www.anacondacombat.com/sandee-thai-boxing-gloves-blackyellow/

these:

http://www.deepbluefightwear.com/de...a/product/hayabusa-pro-10oz-bag-gloves/432590

Or these:

http://www.lemarr.com/boxing/product/rival-fight-gloves-rf2/

4. FirstAction

FirstAction Student of Life

Apart from the obvious poor quality brands, I think different makes of gloves are about the same. In general though, leather will last longer than synthetic. The you just need to decide whether you want lace ups of velcro, or both.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

i disagree, most of the top makes of gloves are a little different to each other. For example, my Lemarr 16oz sparring gloves are very soft and cushioning, perfect for me as I'm 93kg. On the other extreme Hayabusa 16 oz sparring gloves are quite compact and hard and are more suited for smaller fighters or for lighter sparring or bag/pad work. Both good quality gloves but both very different to wear.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

7. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

Cheers guys. Thanks for the advice.

Sifu Ben, see you in two weeks!! :)

8. Andy Defuson

Andy Defuson Banned Banned

9. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just get some Sandee leather gloves. They're inexpensive and will last you well.

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  11. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I agree about Sandee.

12. Talisha

Talisha New Member

Well, It's difficult to say which boxing gloves suits you most. You must read buying guide and reviews first, before buying. I found below article, which will help you a lot to choose perfect boxing gloves as per your requirement.

Best Boxing Gloves for Beginners | [Top 10 Reviews 2021]

Regards,
    Talisha

13. Unreal Combat

I stopped reading that guide when it said.

Fairtex
    • Not made for heavy use.
    Like, I've had Fairtex gloves that literally lasted me 5+ years and I gave them hammer.

I don't feel synthetic leather gloves shouldn't be on any list, period. They're trash and won't last 5 minutes with moderate use.

Also it's missing a couple of inexpensive reputable brands. Sandee & Blitz both do fantastic genuine cowhide leather gloves that don't break the bank.

axelb and Grond like this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Fairtex is quality microfiber, and generally cowhide > buffalo hide > microfiber > everything else.

Just my opinion. Also big dependence on what you're hitting (bag vs. person). If you're hitting a bag, the more natural hide the better, if it's another boxer, anything goes.

15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I've never owned leather gloves, and never used synthetic at the same frequency or intensity as @Unreal Combat so bear that in mind while reading the rest of this!
    I've had wildly varying experiences with synthetic. Had some 16oz Lonsdale gloves that got used twice a week at Sanda for padwork, and a 5-10 rounds of sparring, and about the same amount of bag rounds, for about 18-20 months, and they were at the end of their life by that time. That's the best performance I've had from synthetic gloves. I've had some that didn't stand up to half that usage, and some that were naff when I first got them, though that's a 'get what you pay for' cheap glove experience.

For what I paid for those Lonsdale ones, I was happy to get more than a year out of them, but you wouldn't get that training at a higher intensity.

16. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I don't use boxing gloves much, but the one I have had that seem best were Title

Grond likes this.
  17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Title is popular in the US because they are sold by Dicks Sporting Goods, and they do have a nice selection of both traditional hide and synthetic gel gloves.

The gel gloves will far apart over time like the gel armrests on your computer desk chair. Those get a lot of traffic. Think about it that way, leather seats and upholstery can stand a hell of a lot more than gel.

18. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I did not get them from Dick's and I haven't seen them in Dick's, locally, although it is possible, I don't go to Dick's often. I have seen a lot of Everlast there though, and did purchase a set of Everlast there a few years back. Title I purchased directly from the website based on the recommendation of my then JKD teacher. But this was a few years ago

However I did just check Dick's webpage and saw they had them on the webpage

19. Unreal Combat

Fasirtex are an exception, but not the rule. Most afforable synthetic brands will fall apart within months of moderate use compared to tougher leather. Even Fairtex evetually wear away eventually on the surface, the difference with Fairtex however is the quality of stitching and padding which still allows them to be usable years later down the line compared to other brands.

Take into account I've trained & fought with quite a few branded gloves, Blitx, RDX, Sandee, Top King, Twins, Fairtex, Yokkao, Everlast, Title, Revgear, Boon, etc.

Also hitting a person with unbroken in Fairtex gloves is like hitting someone with a brick. Their triple foam density system takes time to break in. :)

Mushroom, axelb and hewho like this.
  20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I got 10oz Fairtex, and they look like 6oz. So compact and like what @Unreal Combat says, packs a wallop. I use these for padwork.
    I got 14oz Venums. And I love them for sparring. Obviously so I can protect my partner and it works my arms more... but more importantly, the weight is on the knuckles/general glove itself.
    Be aware that sometimes (Everlast) would show a 14oz glove but really its a 10oz glove with 4oz on the wrist.