Boxing Gloves for Women?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by inthespirit, Aug 5, 2012.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey folks, my Mrs. has decided to do some boxing classes, was wondering what to do in terms of gloves. Are there specific gloves for women? Are the weights the same? No idea... Any UK shopping links would be appreciated too. Thanks!

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

They do make women's gloves - but they are usually in pink and baby blue (Ugh!).

Try here for some (I don't know how they rate price wise)

http://www.fightshop.com/

I'm sure other people can recommend better places, as it's years since I bought gloves!

3. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

I love, love, love my 14 oz fighting gloves~ might want to start with everlast gloves, (they are cheeper) first to see how she likes it, down fall w/ everlast is I had to wrap sponges in my knuckles to keep from bruising. I saved up for Fighting brand and it was well worth it. Size is weight~ hand compartment is the same in 12,14,16 oz in this brand, they have online help.
    http://store.titleboxing.com/fighting-sports-tri-tech-bag-gloves.html

4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Women's gloves? That's new to me. If you mean 'pretty gloves' that's subjective, you'll have to ask what your wife likes.

The glove sizes for women are exactly the same as they are for the men.

8 oz – common for competitive boxers
    10 oz – common for competitive boxers
    12 oz – common for women and people with small hands for training
    14 oz – common for average size people for training.

16 oz – common for people of all sizes for training. This is the most recommended size for general training and sparring.

18 oz – commonly used for larger weight classes for training
    20 oz – commonly used for larger weight classes for training

Recommended brands are: Title, Grant, Rival and Ringside.

For beginner boxers, Title (classic range) is the most economically friendly and provides good quality equipment for easily affordable prices, however aesthetically they are not what you would necessarily call stylish. But if your wife isn't fussy about looks and is more into practicality, Title is the ideal choice.

http://www.titleboxing.com/

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

What weight gloves you use for training are, generally, dependant on your height and weight. The design and colours you use are entirely at your own discretion.

Take this as a rough guide and not a definitive one. Alot of gyms will say to use heavier gloves anyway to improve striking speed and strength in keeping guard up.

Also bare in mind that just because the glove is heavy it does not mean all its padding/weight is in the fist.

Another brand I will reccommend are Blitz.

You should speak to the Boxing instructor first and foremost.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yes I agree, that's why I recommended 16oz gloves as they are most used in training. 12 - 14oz is more ideal for kids and smaller women but some clubs won't allow you to spar if you're wearing less than 16oz gloves. Working with 16oz gloves will protect your hands better than the lighter weighted gloves and they will help you build overall strength where you need it (@ the OP, if your wife is on the smaller side, ask the coach what ideal sized gloves would be best for her).

Larger gloves are often worn by those who are generally bigger in stature and harder hitters.

8. Unreal Combat

In general this is true, but it doesn't suit all women. I find most of the gloves I sell are 16oz or 10oz. I sell some 14oz aswell but not as many.

9. fitzgerald

fitzgerald New Member

for women? I think you need to search :google: or yeah, i use proimpactsports.com for gloves. You can find it there..

Hope it helps. thanks...

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks for effort ! But probably best check the date of these threads.. If I still couldn't find the right gloves after almost 2 years I'd probably just give up or make them myself :D

I ended up just giving her mine and getting her some longer wraps.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

whatever fits her hands the best

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Kitchen knife? :Angel:

Would be getting used on me if she knew I wrote this ^ :D

13. Saved_in_Blood

When I'm at class I use 10 oz tbh. I'm not learning for competition though and he knows that. Occasionally my trainer will make me use his 18 oz to get a little weight on my fists.

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

From observing "boxercise" classes at my gym from afar, it seems the primary requirement for women's gloves is that they must be pink. WRT brand, I've had good fortune with Everlast.

15. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

My wife did some boxing fitness, and decided she needs some nice 10 oz Fairtex gloves. Since then she has barely used them, and said I can borrow them for bag work at home, but not to take to class and get all sweated on. Of course they are pink, but I'd wear them anyway.

Maybe I'll get some Fairtex of my own. I have seen one with lizards on them, and flags and stuff. Of course the brown ones look cool too.

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Fairtex gloves are awesome.

I got Pink hand wraps... :)

17. Saved_in_Blood

My friend that used to do MT loved the fairtex products... said they made one of the best bags out there

18. Unreal Combat

I wear Fairtex Gloves and Shinguards. Couldn't recommend them more.

I have a review of my own gloves on my blog, link in the sig. Feel free to have a read.

19. Saved_in_Blood

Thanks... will check it out. I don't want the guards though. My trainer and I don't wear them in sparring. I'd rather feel the shot (in a sick way). The side of my leg has finally healed from him kicking me there lol, I thought it was going to take forever.

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The Fairtex sparring ones I got are 10oz, but its so compact and small they feel like 8oz. I'm actually reluctant to use them apart from padwork.
    But they absorb impact so well. And the inside of the glove has a mesh like fabric so the inside dries out a lot quicker too.

I do have some "anti stink" pads that I stuff into the gloves though. :p