Boxing Book

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Dec 6, 2015.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Thanks guys. Would you say Judo is one of the most if not the most street effective grappling art? Also, how long would you say it would take for me to become REASONABLY proficient in both if I did boxing twice per week 1 hour classes (I'm getting a punch bag at home too) and Judo once per week one and half hour class?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Okay, I did. Christmas present for myself. :)
    (I returned to boxing a couple months ago after a very, very long absence from it -- and I'm loving boxing. :) )

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Congrads, aikiMac! Me as well!

4. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Im gonna say boxing and judo compliment each other very well. Boxing in my opinion gives you great footwork and movement along with good hands (obviously). Judo, again in my opinion, offers great grappling in a more desirable area. On your feet. And also teaches ground work so if it goes there you have a good understanding.

Length of time to become proficient is based on you. If you only punch pads and bags then its gonna take a lot longer than someone who starts sparring or even taking it to a competitive level. Punching correct and hard is only half of it, means nothing if you cant hit the other person. Same with Judo, you only do Uke and Tori drills all the time then youll struggle to pull off a throw on someone in a resisting situation as movement, off balancing and timing all come into play.

But thats also the benefit to both of these arts, sparring/randori is generally regular so picking it up is generally pretty quick. Most importantly, enjoy them. Both amazing arts to study :)

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Have you ever OSOTO GARI-ed someone in the street on concrete? I've watched a few videos of it being used in ring and competitions but on street on someone who doesn't know how to breakfall and landed on head, couldn't it kill them? As could a boxing hook to temple/above ear without gloves?

Oh, and I called the Judo club which is like 5-10 mins walk from my flat - going for my 1st class on Monday. really excited :)

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I have not. I imagine it'd be highly unpleasent.

Great! Hope you enjoy :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015