Boxing as a Martial Art

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Keith P. Myers, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith P. Myers

Keith P. Myers Valued Member

Does anyone here train their Boxing as a martial art? If so, what kind of things do you work on apart from the usual sport-related training?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I don't understand the distinction you're making between sport and martial art.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, pretty much this.

4. Keith P. Myers

The simplest distinction is that in Boxing as a sport there are rules to adhere to. In Boxing as a street-defense method or martial art you aren't worried about rules. So here's an example. If you are going to use your Boxing for self-defense, you aren't going to have hand-wraps and gloves. So you may need adapt your punching a bit to avoid injury. You might even strike with an open hand using the heel of the hand rather than a fist. In Boxing as a sport you can't use elbows. In Boxing as a martial art you might train to make your lead hook even tighter so it becomes an elbow strike. In Boxing as a sport you can't go from a high cover to a whizzer to wrench the opponent's elbow, whereas in Boxing as a martial art this is a perfectly workable move. Is that clearer now?

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Pretty sure they just train boxing as is and then beat the crap out of people. It seems to work very well.

The distinction is pointless. Boxers can beat the crap out of other boxers trained to a reasonably equal level trying their hardest to do the same to them. They're hideously over qualified when it comes to dealing with the average untrained joe.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would argue that to change it as you describe doesn't make it boxing.

I use boxing as part of my syllabus and in boxing range hit like a boxer.

If however I make slight changes and start hitting with elbows or palms, or start wrenching elbows, then I would describe it as Pangamut, or dirty boxing from my FMA syllabus.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think that this might be better phrased as "How do boxers amend their training to prepare for self defense." Simply put, these things are not part of boxing. To me, they seem like relatively minor additions to the art, in comparison to managing distance, delivering non-telegraphed really frickin' hard punches, learning to take a punch, etc.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Most don't - they just punch people really hard and that tends to do the trick

And for the love of Thor can we dispense with the "no rules in the street" fallacy? They are called LAWS and most certainly do exist

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

You know, it's almost like people punching each other is a type of attack that you might typically see in a SD situation turned sour... :rolleyes:

Maybe, but probably not. You know, the funny thing about boxers is that they tend to hit ridiculously hard and your average untrained Joe (and even a lot of martial artists) don't cope particularly well with being punched in the face at all, yet alone hard. That kind of shock to the system does a lot to unnerve most people.

Except that isn't boxing. The more you add like that, the less it becomes "boxing" in the typical sense.

Despite that I'd wager that boxing as a whole is more martial than most martial arts clubs offer, even though it is "only a sport".

10. Pretty In Pink

Pronounced TOOKS.

And they are so very "Street":

[​IMG]

11. Keith P. Myers

Geez! I had no idea! I guess I touched a nerve here! ;-) To me, if you are using Boxing biomechanics to move and generate power, then it can be called "Boxing" whether the weapon at the end of the arm is a fist or a palm. Why should it matter? And it is exactly because boxers can "hit really hard" that you better be looking out for your hands if you don't have wraps and gloves on! Elbow strikes are used in the ring, when a dirty fighter thinks he can get away them! Same with headbutts. These of the kinds of things that might make a difference in a real encounter. You can't just assume that someone that tries to attack you on the street is "just an average joe." Mark Hatmaker put out an entire series of DVDs about turning Boxing into a martial art. Its not like I made up the idea! ;-)

12. Pretty In Pink

I'd happily break a knuckle knowing that it will knock someone out. If you're not "just fighting an average joe" then who are you fighting?

Boxers do not train elbows because it is not boxing, and neither are headbutts. And they won't make a difference because a boxers fists will have already done the job.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

As if it's anything else? The gloves are too big for much other than punching

15. Hannibal

Damn you autocorrect!!!

16. Pretty In Pink

I see you've tried to fix your mistake. It's pronounced TOOLS and they most definitely are in the street:

[​IMG]

17. Hannibal

Actually I meant "Thules" as in the proto-Inuit peoples...and they are definitely not found in most streets

except possibly the Northern Territories

18. Hannibal

More like "asked a question that has been done to death here"

You can call a table a fish if you want....doesn't make it so

Doesn't seem to worry BKB folks, or bouncers or anyone else who conditions their hands properly.

Your point being?

Thanks tips....

It's reinventing the wheel - I punch you on the chin you go down.

Plus boxing is as much about evasion and movement as anything else...fancy "dirtying" that up? How about an Ali shuffle with dog poo on your shoes? Street enough?

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Unless of course those people happen to be named Holyfield (headbutts) or Duran (elbows).

20. Hannibal

Both of which suck mechanically as examples of same - also none of which have scored a KO with

Holyfield crashes, he doesn't butt per se

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.