boxing and KB punching?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Adam, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Is the pucnhing used in kickboxing identical to what boxers use? What differences are there?

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

The punching I was trained in at the kickboxing club I went to was identical to boxing techniques. I guess its down to the competitions that a club participates in.

3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

The fundamentals are the same, but KB allows additional punches as well. Such as backhands and some places allow punches to the top of the head too.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Adam in Kickboxing (IE Not Muay Thai) the punches are very similiar/ near enough the same as Western Boxing, although the stance is slightly different-generally a tad more upright for kicking purposes.

In Muay Thai (Ring Rules) the punches are delivered slightly differently, because you are not placing as much weight on the front leg when u are say throwing a jab, in case that leg is kicked out from under you. Thrown from a more upright position.

Also the weight distribution and Stance in Both Kickboxing and Muay thai are generally more upright than western Boxing.

One final point in Kickboxing they use the standard Boxing punches (Jab, Cross, Uppercut and Hook and variations upon them), whereas in Ring Rules Muay Thai we also use the swing punch which is banned in Western Boxing (Hitting with the inside of the glove).

Plus of course both KB and MT use the Spinning Back Fist.

5. Hwoarang

Hwoarang New Member

The biggest difference is that a boxer uses more the weight of his body in the hit, a kickboxer uses more or less only his hand, that's why a boxer has a more "lethal" punch. But if you look, an uppercat is an uppercut and a cross punch is a cross punch:)

6. LIQUID

LIQUID New Member

Well when I watch K1 the kickboxers punches are equal to boxing greats like Iron Mike IMO

7. boxefrancaise

boxefrancaise New Member

Well I only know about Savate, in which the boxing actually originally comes frm english boxing so is exactly the same. In fact in training for championships once i went to a boxing club for a few months to work on my hand skills. (not sure they'd met many women in there before!)

Keri

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

they're the same but the kickboxers use a slightly lower stance than boxers

9. gutshot

gutshot New Member

umm...^^ i thought that kickboxing had a higher stance...
    am i right or am i wrong?

10. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

You are right. When they kick they have to lean back, so they stay more upright

11. gutshot

gutshot New Member

thought so

12. Shadow_Blade

Shadow_Blade New Member

Hmm... sounds like you or the person you saw punching is not doing it right. When I punch, I'm not just generating power from my hand, the power comes from my shoulder. I also twist my torso a little and extend on my toes a bit to add the extra power. Anyone who knows how to throw a good punch will not just use their hand. If they did, I fail to see how this punch would do much damage. As for the "lethal" punch, any punch is lethal if connected right with enough speed and power behind it.

13. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

I think boxers punch harder than both MT and KB, simply due to the lower stance, and wider spread legs. Also, Khun Kao mentioned in another post how instead of using theis hips for power, some boxers use explosive forward movements at angles to generate huge power. I'm not sure if this is more / less powerful than the hip movement style.

14. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

One difference i have notcied is that KB tend to be more inclined to use blocks(not always) whereas boxers mainly use lateral and evasive movements.

15. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Sokklab is correct....

I have trained in Muay Thai and Western Boxing. In many ways, the punches are similar, but they are also different. As stated, because of the necessity of keeping the weight off of your lead leg, punches are thrown differently. MT punches are often thrown more from just the shoulder rather than the entire body.

I mix-n-match when I fight. Depending on the situation. Sometimes, I will use straight Western Boxing, other times I will use MT-style Boxing. If you're not careful, when you fight MT (or kickboxing), placing too much weight on the lead leg will get that leg DRILLED!!!!!

Khun Kao

16. Pro Killer

Pro Killer New Member

I've Trained in Muay Thai and Boxing and from my Experience I can tell you that Muay Thai and Kickboxing throw the same punches as Boxing but Dont even come close to teaching about the Punches. If you want to be a good puncher then take boxing Nothing else Is A patch on it! It has mastered that art of punching over and over again and truely dominates, A boxer would dominate any KB or MT fighter in A normal boxing match I promise you, It gets the whole Body into the punch and puts weight on the front leg which improves power, In MT your asking for a good leg kick if you do that!

17. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Savate Punches?

Hi Keri....

Don't Savateurs still use the old 'rounding blow' it's like a hook punch but you hit with the back of the fist, (the thumb of the glove facing the ground) although this was used in old forms of UK boxing I don't think it is today?

Louie

18. Creeper

Creeper New Member

In addition to my Jiu Jitsu studies I started training Western Boxing because I think it's a great asset to BJJ. Lately I've been much more intrigued by Kickboxing than Boxing. I enjoy both punching and kicking (as I've learned informally from friends who study other martial arts) and it seems Kickboxing is not only an ideal style to add along-side BJJ, but the techniques are very practical in the "real-world" where I think some MA techniques aren't so practical like certain Tae Kwon Do kicks and flips. Kickboxing just seems more efficient and adds the element I'm missing in BJJ which is standing/distance attacks. Typically we're taught to give a side-kick to break the knee, but also use it as a way of mis-guiding the opponent so we can quickly move in to bring him to the ground with a clinch.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've been doing kickboxing for a while and finds it adds extremely well to Jujitsu which ive just recentally started up :) BJJ and kickboxing is a good mix :)

I always used to be a kicker so ive recentally started western boxing as well to aid my kickboxing as i feel my instructor doesn't spend enough time on the boxing side of it.
    It's definatly helped improve my performance! Best thing i can suggest is give it a shot and see how it works out.

20. makato

makato New Member

theres only one way to stick your arm out