Bounce?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Sho-ju, May 29, 2003.

1. Sho-ju

Sho-ju New Member

Why are TKD patterns done with a bounce?:woo:

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

If you are looking at the ITF hyungs, I think that has to do with sine wave

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

there's no bounce in ITF TKD Patterns
    Sine wave is not Bounce.
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

There is an up and down motion though right . . . at least that's my understanding of sine wave. If I'm wrong could someone explain it to me pls. Thanks

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

True, "most" ITF schools use this `stepping motion' known as the "knee spring" or "up/down motion". The body rises as a technique is in transition and drops at the end of the technique whether it be ablock or attack. This causes the body to move in a "sine wave" which supposedly adds more body mass behind technique thus creating more power.

I don't know .... I find it rather "bouncy"and choppy myself rather than "fluid". I use more of a hip snap in my movements and breath control in order to achieve the same results.

6. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

i never thought of it as jumping really

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... :confused: but its not a "jumping" ... your feet don't leave the floor.
    You use your leg muscles dropping your body weight, and then increase your height before dropping again towards the end of the technique.

You can see this in some of these patterns performed here ...... http://www.taekwondo.to/patterns.htm

8. jakmak52

jakmak52 New Member

I was taught not to bounce, to stay parallell to the floor,no up and down movement.

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

the sine wave is basically used as power generation in ITF Hyungs. there is no Bounce as per se... its more of a fuild stance transition. ok me seen the video the person is IV dan and seriously i don't like his form,
    My teacher's form look awesome :D in the form I sensed too much tension while going thru the motion at upward n lower crest of sine wave.
    just my view... but it will give u idea about sine wave.
    -TkdWarrior-

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Below are some of the stories as to how and by whom sine wave was introduced into Tae Kwon Do.
    What story do you believe.???:confused:

The Western Story
    Grand Master Sheiff was watching some people horse riding when he observed the movement of the riders. The faster the horse went the greater the movement of the rider. In training he applied the up and down movements he had observed in the riders to his techniques in the Dojang and felt they where a lot more effective. On consulting General Choi and showing him his new discovery sine Wave was born.

The Eastern Story
    A noted Korean academic was travelling from Korea to Japan by ship, in extremely bad weather. The ship was hit by a large wave and passengers were thrown across the ship, and as a result many suffered serious injuries.

The academic was struken by the damage that a wave could cause and experimented on ways of lessening the damage without success.

It was during a causal conversation with some friends about his experiments that a senior ITF instructor who was with him thought about the idea that if a wave is invincible maybe it could be applied in Tae Kwon Do. He put his idea forward to the ITF executive who at first were very sceptical, but as you know the rest is history.

The Southern Hemisphere Story
    A number of TKD masters were doing a tour of New Zealand and Australia to promote Tae Kwon Do.

While on tour they were invited to see some of the wild life and went to a kangaroo sanctuary. The masters were interested in the way that the kangaroos and other related animals moved and how efficient it was for saving energy. They looked how this movement could be applied to humans and came up with the idea of sine wave.

The Northern Story
    One of the first TKD masters to be sent to Scandinavia was stuck in a snowstorm while driving to a training session. Four hours later he was eventually dug out. A patrol man waved him on and informed him to follow the signs.

On returning to Korea years later he talked his experience to other masters and thought about how he could show his appreciation to the patrol man He remembered how the patrol man had told him about the signs and waved him on and has dedicated sine wave to the patrolman.
    :D

11. darlph

darlph New Member

I was taught to move smoothly, with no change in head heighth, step to step. I notice in begining ranks they rise or seem to bounce from step to step. I do TKD ITF, also. must be the teachings, huh? In fact, when we are taught to kick, the supporting knee is bent with foot flat on the floor.uummm

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

sine wave is present in lots of different martial arts, including most of indian MA too... i didn't heard any of above version but i made my own after discussing it with my teacher and other martial artists... it was like a relevations to me :D
    -TkdWarrior-

13. Ruan Long

Ruan Long New Member

I never bounce. Instead, I do a steady stance so I could have the advantage of counter attacks and more powerful kicks.

14. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I have always done forms without it. I like it that way and i think it looks better. Then the school i was teaching with, The Sr instructor wanted to start using it. the like and and use it but i still think the other way is better. Thats just me

15. darlph

darlph New Member

You know, perhaps you are noticing hip drive? Sometimes, it may look like a bounce but it should be going forward not up.

16. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: ...bounce:confused: :confused: :confused:

in case you mean the sine wave, the movement of up and down is the use of your mass to enpower your techniques.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  17. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Yes that is what they were talkin about. Havent we talked about this in here before. If we havent, Of well.

I like the forms better without the sine wave but most of the TKD school that dont use it and going into it.