Bored of Kicking?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by jazzysingh, Dec 27, 2014.

1. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Hi All,

I started TKD back in 1995. I have trained a majority of the time with a few gaps here and there (university, injuries).

I have had various problems over the years, ankle problem, knee pains, hip clicking. Anyways, over the last year or so I have had NO interest in kicking. I kind of fell out of love with kicking.

I still enjoy TKD and I know there is a lot of kicking involved but for some reason my passion for the whole flexibility, kicking side of TKD has totally gone.

In 2015 I am planning to work on my hands a lot more, and I plan to pick up a few boxing classes a week if time permits. I am visiting a boxing club in the new year.

Has anybody else ever had this? Where you just don't want to kick or done finding kicking fun any more?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Boxing, plus explore the rest of your art dude. Come do some sim days with JWT to find out how your self defence is, add grabs and low kicks to your sparring and face a new challenge, explore the pattern applications.

Plus judo for the win :)

Mitch

3. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Mitch, I think you have hit he nail on the head. I think it's a new challenge that I want/need. I love Tkd and would never stop but sometimes I want to 'learn' more. Not saying I don't learn but I need a new aspect/new fresh look. I want to do some boxing (work on the techniques and improve footwork/head movement etc). Also I 100% definitely need to work on my self defence this is my weakest link. Grabs/low kicks are cool and we do kinda do some of this in class but its rare.

4. Mitch

I'm going to sort something in the new year in Nottingham, come play :)

You've been competing for years at a high level, but, well, you're knocking on a bit now mate :) Time to find out what the rest of the art us about, and you've got the tools to do it.

Mitch

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

methinks it's time to turn your tkd back into the krotty it was always meant to be! :evil: :ban:

[​IMG]

6. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Yeah Nottingham is very do-able. Keep me in the loop. I am going to be very open minded come 2015.

7. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

The Karate clubs around here ain't anything special. Trust me I have probably visited majority of them over the years! :D

8. Mitch

Like that, but modern and evolved into something better :D

Mitch

9. Fish Of Doom

laugh it up, but if i scream and dramatize enough, i'm getting all the points. ALL THE POINTS, I TELL YOU

#modernkarate

10. Mitch

ALL YOUR POINTS ARE BELONG TO US!!1!

11. Fish Of Doom

tfw i've just realized that sport karate is soccer.

12. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Its happened to me as I got older, its not a big deal, hands are a little tricky though, its not the same as working kicks. Youll likely discover that you have to rest more because your upper body needs more recovery time after an hour of boxing than it does after an hour of kicking, especially if you lift weights or do other upper body exorcizes.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nineteen years together and this is how you treat us?! Kicking has always been there for you. But now you decide you're "bored" and have taken boxing as a mistress?!

Ugh.

Pack your bags and leave. We're taking the house and cats in the divorce.

14. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Its time to endure the pain :D

This made me laugh. I will never quit TKD. Maybe my injuries and aches and pains have finally made me think my legs need a bit of rest.

Boxing will be a supplement for my TKD not a replacement so can I keep the cat? Ha

15. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Perhaps change the emphasis. Instead of trying for speed and power which may cause you pain, concentrate on range of motion and proper technique. Stretching is essential for range of motion in life not just TKD. If stretching is causing you undue pain perhaps the type of stretch needs to be modified.

16. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I felt similar too and backed off on TKD and did some grappling, MMA and Muay Thai.
    I would personally found Muay Thai very helpful and would recommend that as you will pick up some boxing too but in relation to kicking, elbowing and kneeling, hand fighting and clinching. I say that because within TKD patterns and SD side these things can be found but not to the depth of Muay Thai. I found I could make some sense of some elements of patterns and even try applications that people were claiming and disregard or tweak them.
    When you clinch train you do it with no gloves and so the grabbing, handfighting,and clinching that some believe is what's going on within chambers and blocks, can become clearer....add knees and token elbows ( as you won't actually elbow for safety), some trips and you can cover alot of useful things that you can put back into TKD pattern apps and SD/One step, if your going to definitely continue TKD too.

17. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

So far this year I've not been to a single TKD class and my legs feel awesome.

I think I might take a nice long break

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How do you live with yourself? :p

19. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Honestly, I haven't even started to miss it yet ! Is that bad ?! Ha

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You cheated with boxing didn't you?