Boosting recovery in 10 hour slots

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Slindsay, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything to help me improve recovery time between doing weight lifting in the morning and Judo in the evening about 10-11 hours after I finish in the gym? I'm following and seeing great results from the Starting Strength program but the problem is that I can only make the gym in the morning on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I have Judo on Monday, Friday and Sunday. I can still perform OK-ish at Judo after hititng the weights in the morning but when I have had to miss a gym session in the morning my performance has been notably better.

At the moment I am wondering what sort of things might be useful in trying to speed up my recovery a bit? Sleeping enough at night is an obvious one but I was wondering what else might help, stretching (As oposed to cooling down on a rower), protein shakes or other supliments, propoer nutrition or anything else like that?

Whilst I'm at it I was wondering if theres anything I can eat a few hours before Judo that might get my energy levels up a bit? tend to go Wake up -> Gym -> Work -> Judo with no time between them and I can feel like I have no energy before Judo which makes me want to skip it a bit. I really love trainning, it's just hard sometimes to fight the urge to go home and laze around on the couch after a 10 hour work day with the gym before it. (I know, I know, stop whinning and train tongue.gif ).

If anyone has any helpful tips I'd love to hear them,

Stephen

2. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Doing so much extra training is not going to have the same effect as doing the program without all the extra exercise. I assume you know this. If you're not careful you're going to crash HARD on one or both.

The Crossfit authors have made mention of recovery techniques in the Journal. Check it out.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Well aware of this, I try to listen to my body as much as possible and as I'm managing to carry on lifitng more each session then I am getting sufficient recovery time between workouts.

The Crossfit authors have made mention of recovery techniques in the Journal. Check it out.[/QUOTE]

Is this the article you mean?:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/29_05_What_About_Recovery.pdf

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Have you tried Glutamine/L-Glutamine supplements? Works really well for me. Also works great on hangovers and colds.