Books You Should Read Before You Die

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Master J, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion of course..... however wrong it is! ;)

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Some more from me:
    Steppenwolf - Herman Hesse
    Rashomon and Other Stories by Akutagawa
    The Metamorphosis by Kafka
    Three men in a boat- Jerome K Jerome
    Huis Clos (No exit) and other plays- Sartre. I'm not being pretentious,I just thought it was awesome.
    The Age of Reason - Sartre, same as above!

3. Zodiac Monkey

Zodiac Monkey New Member

Books i keep going back and could be classed as pulp fiction style of books are

Waylander - David Gemmell
    Legend - David Gemmell

and you can read them in a day :)

4. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I liked it. I think his short stories are really good as well.

5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Anyone mention Tuesdays with Morrie yet? :)

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A must read that ranks as one of my favorite all time books.

Title: A Cambodian Odyssey
    Author: Dr. Hang Ngor

http://www.amazon.com/Cambodian-Odyssey-Haing-Ngor/dp/0446389900

This is the book that the classic movie about the Khmer Rouge genocide in Cambodia was based on. The movie romanticizes the subject a bit. But even with that it's still a very powerful film and relatively historically accurate to the experience of Dith Pran. Hang Ngor (the actor who played Dith Pran in the film the Killing Fields) also managed to live through a number of years of torture at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. But I can highly recommend the book to anyone looking to understand the horrors of the Khmer Rouge genocide. It's also a very large testament to the human spirit (as horribly cliche as that sounds). Just a gut wrencher of a book.

Read the book, watch the film. Both well worth it... for me it was such a good read I bought the hardback edition... and have read it cover to cover several times over the years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  7. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

That's one great book!

8. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Esoteric Warriors - Alex Kozma

Lord of the Rings - Tolkien

The Hobbit - Tolkien

Combat Techniques of Tai Ji, Xing Yi, and Ba Gua: Principles and Practices of Internal Martial Arts - Lu Shengli & Zhang Yun

9. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hmmmmm. I strongly disagree. It captured the emotions of this one guy so perfectly. Absolute masterpiece.

Em

btw, forgot to add Paradise Lost, by John Milton.

10. L3vity

L3vity Resident poet

Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

11. insearch4truth

insearch4truth New Member

Another Great Book

Another great book to go along with Plotinus' Enneads is a book by his student Proclus called The Elements of Theology. It really lays out Plato's theology even more thoroughly than Plotinus did.

12. insearch4truth

insearch4truth New Member

Another Great Book

Another great book to go along with Plotinus' Enneads is a book by his student Proclus called The Elements of Theology. It really lays out Plato's theology even more thoroughly than Plotinus did.

13. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Typing on a tablet so expect some typos and punctuation errors. Isnt this list biased in favour of political and philosophical writers which wont make a lot of sense just read in the style of a novel, you may as well stick in some quantum physics ;) * and the novels why Lolita and not Anna Karenin

oops there is some, War and Peace is overrated, only read 25 of the 100 listed

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Kafka on The Shore

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles

15. "A Song of Ice and Fire" series - George R.R. Martin.