Books to read

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Jungdo, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

leaving out the books from hayes
    I was wondering if there are any books one should read to understand the art of Ninjutsu better. So that I can have meaningful discussions with you all. And not just be talking out my butt about things I don't understand.
    Thanks

2. Anvilfire

Anvilfire Valued Member

3. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

thanks or

ありがとう

4. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

You get the occasional ones on MAP that do that from time to time anyway, but they've mostly been reading Ashida Kim stuff :D

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  5. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

ok I have got to ask what is the deal with no body liking Mr. Kims books

6. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

It's a long story and it's been revisited again and again so there are plenty of previous threads for you to look at on this forum in order to get the whole picture. Incidentally, his real name isn't Mr Kim, but Mr Hunter, that should give you a brief idea about the fraud that he is.

7. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

Other Authors

The Taijutsu book by Charles Daniel is good, as are the Tantojutsu and Ninpo books by Jack Hoban.

8. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Excuse me,
    I love them; those books are so funny they make tears go down my cheeks. By far, the best is The Amorous Adventures of Ashida Kim. Check them out if you're in for a laugh.
    -Jibran

9. Rus

Rus New Member

I'd also like to get a book ideally with details about the syllabus in so when we do something in a lesson I can refer to the book later for more info out of the dojo if need be.

Hatsumi recently (last year) released Way of the Ninja: Secret Techniques and I was wondering if it was any good, or at all suitable to use as a training aid?

I don't intend to replace training in a dojo with it, that would be retarded (imho), but something that would make a useful reference tool would be useful to me and my lapsing memory :)

10. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Yes that is a good book but not as a training aid. All of Hatsumi's books are good even the ones written by others for him like History and tradition. Rightly said, books and DVD's should not be used as a training aid unless you already have a good teacher.

11. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

books, vids, and curriculae

for a syllabus you're going to have to AYS - ask your shidoshi - or keep notes and write your own.

I think the prequel to Ninja no Michi: Hiden Waza, Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu TenChiJin * makes a pretty good guide for a training curriculum.

If you're feeling adventurous, view copies of some other dojo' curriculae and compare them with what you are learning, and AYS what parts you should focus on for now.

I think a set of videos that shown kihon would be a good reference for things you should practice often.

* Not to be confused with Bujinkan Dojo Kihon Gata: TenChiJin Ryaku no Maki - which also makes for a fine syllabus well into the black belt level.

Last edited: May 4, 2005