Book recommendations

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by BahadZubu, Oct 13, 2016.

1. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Hello all.

I am getting pretty into boxing history. I really enjoy reading stories about famous boxers and just about the development of the art in general. So far I have read Mike Tyson's autobiography (awesome) and am currently reading a book about Sam Langford which, although has some neat little stories throughout, mostly reads like a list of date of his fights and fails to present a compelling narrative of the actual man himself. You would really have to be into memorising obscure boxing trivia to love this book in my opinion. So does anyone have any recommendations of any other good books about boxing or boxers?

Thanks.

BZ

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

There are so many out tehre, but recently I have read

Facing Ali
    Floyd Patterson: Boxings invisible Champion
    Vegas Tales (Ricky Hattons autobiography)

All remarkably good

4. TakadaDojoKeith

TakadaDojoKeith Valued Member

I liked "Mi Vida Loca" about Johnny Tapia. Also, Thomas Hauser's stuff is pretty good. But there's plenty of good stuff on the net. This is one of my favorites. It's about Floyd Patterson.

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I'm personally not a huge Biography / Autobiography reader, but even I enjoyed "The Good Son" (the life of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini)

Travess

6. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

7. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Thanks a lot. Exactly the type of books i'm looking to read. I'm sure Hatton's book must have some interesting stories.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ricky's book is amazing!

9. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Awesome link. Thanks!

10. ned

ned Valued Member

I have recently read and can recommend " The Twelve Greatest Rounds Of Boxing ; The Untold Stories " by Ferdie Pacheo , aka the fight doctor.

Also " Sting Like a Bee , the Muhammad Ali story " by Jose Torres ( with forward by friend and mentor in his early writing career , Norman mailer ).
    A light heavyweight champion with a record of 41 wins , lost 3 , drew 1 with 29 KO's , he gives a boxer's perspective on much of the same ground that Ferdie Pacheo covers in his book, in terms of both boxing and social history.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I read King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero by David Remnick and was pretty impressed by it.

12. TakadaDojoKeith

TakadaDojoKeith Valued Member

My pleasure. Also, although it's not a book, I highly recommend the documentary "Thrilla in Manila." It's based on the book "Ghosts of Manila" and it's both the most sympathetic and tragic portrayal of Joe Frazier. While I'm at it, I'd recommend "Muhammad and Larry" as well. It's and excellent short documentary on Ali's decline and Holmes' difficulty being the champ who put him away.

13. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I will be interested to see how it portrays Frasier and Ali. I have seen "Muhammad and Larry" pretty tragic. It seems Ali really should not have been allowed to fight that one. I read somewhere (Perhaps in Tyson's autobiography) that when he was walking to the ring to fight Holmes Ali took him aside and whispered in his ear "Get'em for me". Or something to that effect. To be honest, it's always incredible watching Ali move but I don't think you can disagree that Frasier was the more technical boxer.

Also, despite the thread title, any recommendation on boxing films would be awesome. I really can't bring myself to watch any of the Rockie/South Paw etc type of boxing movies though. They are all just so poorly done in my opinion.

As a final note, I have been watching Lee Wylie's videos for a while. The guy is a genius in terms of fight analysis. I may make a thread about him if one doesn't already exist. I have learned so much from his video analysis's. Although some of the stuff you have to keep in my mind it is pro's doing, because when I bring it to the gym I get tagged lol. But def. has some other stuff that has really improved my boxing game.