Bokken Basics

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nickh, Oct 27, 2007.

1. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Great video, everyone should watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwqwPQc8Vdg"]YouTube[/ame]

Highly educational ...

Did you know you can take these techniques and put them into a ka'a?

2. RentoKill

RentoKill Valued Member

Well i liked how her hair matched her Gi top but she should really see a Doctor about her itchy knee and never a good idea to get sand in it.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Ah can oanly say ahm loste fur wo'ds.

And just as well!!!

regards koyo

4. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Oh no.

5. fat-lazy-git

fat-lazy-git Valued Member

hahahahahhahahahaha

definatly not katori shinto heiho.
    maybe it was a form from the ancient hooflungdung ryu.
    (in old japanese master accent)
    start by wearing your sword like a tachi.
    stick out your fingers when gripping tsuka ( especially when fighting me)
    pretend to balance on tightrope when performing stance
    make all moves up as you go along.

( ancient training text from hooflungdung training manual under title eechuckshit iai techs)

6. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

Horrible just horrible.

Word of warning, most of the instructional stuff on youtube is crap. Actually most of the instructional stuff on the internet is crap.

If you aren't willing to shell out some cash for quality instructional videos don't bother with free stuff because all you learn is crap.

A day in the dojo with a quality instructor is worth 1000 instructional videos :p

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    Just brilliant. A Scottish emo gives us her take on the bokken.
    Absolutely NOT what you want to be learning from. The point of her bokken just about dips behind her head every time she raises it. :D

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

For the benefit of people like me who quite literally wouldn't know a good bokken if you beat me round the head with one, could someone post a vid of these forms being done correctly? :)

9. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Nickh I'm rapidly going off you mate :woo: :woo: :D :D

10. nickh

nickh Valued Member

You're just jealous because your Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu doesn't have these bokken sets.

If Musashi had known bokken sets 3 and 4 (and maybe 5 and 6) he might not have lost to Muso Gonosuke on their rematch. :D

11. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Nick...
    Nick....
    Nick....

Quality find...

I'd ask to marry you...If I hadn't been so enthused with the lady in question that I had asked to marry her a few short seconds before..

Where can I get a top like that, and a fashion sense to match it I wonder?

Genius..

12. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Oh god, that poor bokken. :( Even a poor quality bokken such as that one doesn't deserve to be treated like that. :eek:

And what's with twirling the bokken tip on the ground?

And wearing it like Captain Pugwash's cutlass?

Will someone please show her how to actually grip a bokken please?

See, this is what happens when crappy westernised Jiu Jitsu schools attempt to incorporate weapons training into their curriculum in order to convince their students they are doing t3h 0rfentick Sammoorai Juey Jitsoo.

I also feel sorry for my poor PC because that crap is lurking in my temporary internet folder.

/me shudders

13. koyo

The bokken should not be grasped "from the sides" as this causes the elbows to stick out when it is raised. The hands "hold from above" with the little finger tight and the other fingers firm. All cuts use the momentume of the bokken and body movement. If you step in AND THEN cut , it is too late , your opponent shall have already cut you.

Effectiveness is dependant on the use of ki (intention) ken (sword technique) tai (body movement,alignment and momentum) ichi (all integrated as one)
    This (among other things) is missing from the video. It is obvious that the many thousands of suburi (practice cuts) needed before any form of kata can be performed have been eschewed.

I am speaking from an aiki ken perspective but also have some experience in kendo and iai.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

14. nickh

nickh Valued Member

You know what the really scary thing is?

There are actually people learning from this video and totally believing it is good. Look at the comments on youtube. :eek:

15. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Man, I just threw my honkin' shoe at the monitor.

She obviously hasn't learned the Goldilocks Johnson kuden for nigirikata. :p

It was just that bad! :ban:

EDIT: WTF is this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JyEi5CWbt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JyEi5CWbt0[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  16. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

Yes, that's the dark finished crap that is all over the internet for sale these days. It's some inferior wood from Taiwan if I remeber correctly. Very poor grain and miserable balance.

Many her video was sarcasm and she wanted to demonstrate how dumb kids who watch these vids to learn t3h w4y 0f t3h s4mur41 are..... :Angel:

I'm surprised by the comments left for the video....most MA stuff on Youtube gets flamed pretty bad. Typically every little flaw is critiqued mulitple times. To see almost no negative comments for this video disturbes me...

17. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

It has disturbed me too.

18. koyo

It disturbs me that I live in Glasgow where this girl trains and where I have seen some of the most ridiculous "demonstrations" of swordsmanship ever, culminating in the infamous one man seated unarmed taking on four swordsmen simultaneously.It is the instructors that should be outed on u tube rather than the students who do not know any better.

regards koyo

19. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Kogusoku said:-
    Let's see. Hood drawn up close around the face. Impossible to make out coherent words. I reckon that's actually a video of Kenny from South Park!

Oh my god, they killed Budo! You.....! :D

20. nickh

nickh Valued Member

If she's a student, she really shouldn't be teaching "instructional" material to anyone.

But then again, she's apparently been elected to an instructor level by some guy called ChosonNinja.