Bodyweight Flow for Capo, agility etc!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, May 12, 2013.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I stumbled across this video when I was looking for bodyweight exercise ideas. It's basically a mix of animal drills, gymnastics and bodyweight moves.

I think it would be a lot of fun to mess around with. You can do what you want basically, so I could throw a whole bunch of cartwheels, handstands and capo moves into the flow.

But would it be any use for developing capoeira skills and agility, mobility etc etc?

Might sound like a silly question but I really have very little knowledge about exercising.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVxln98pm2I"]Bodyweight Flow[/ame]

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

First of all: I don't know who Chip Conrad is, but--fun fact/small world time--Sincere Hogan (referenced at the beginning of the video) trained briefly with my group here in Houston. So I'm not surprised to see some capoeira related drills in the free flow.

As for aiding some of the attributes you mention for capoeira, I'd say that I think that it does. I'd support your adding some other capoeira movements to the flow. I'd also suggest that some days you just work a strictly capoeira flow as an addendum. In short, go for it!

Oh, and don't look at the floor when doing cartwheels like the guy in the video--you're a capoeirista!

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Ok - thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing it with capoeira flow drills. Maybe a round or two of the bodyweight flow and then a couple of capoeira.

At the moment I feel I don't have enough, I am not sure of the proper names, acrobatic and gymnastic moves to get a good flow going. The bodyweight flow would posibly allow me to get something similar going in the meantime.

Hope that makes sense...Insomnia is a pain. Hope to have my first look at CDO tonight if I can stay awake.

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Typically, the flashy, acrobatic moves are called floreios (in general, each movement will usually have its own name).

What you say makes a lot of sense and your flow will change naturally as you progress in all of your chosen arts. Until then, work the moves that you're comfortable with, of course.

Good luck checking out CDO!

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think it's a great idea. I've been doing a basic version a couple of times a week (when my back allows). All I was trying to do was get better at linking kicks and ginga and other ground movements. Just work the techniques you know and add in things as you learn them in class.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This is just the sort of stuff I do with my 4 year old daughter.
    I call it "pretending to be animals" but really I'm training her to be the next Ronda Rousey. :)
    For example where the guy rolls on his back and onto his feet again I call "being a tortoise" (rolling on his shell see).
    We do bear walking, monkey rolls, froggy jumps etc etc.
    It gets tricky thinking up names though.