Body toughening to take hits

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mikelw, Jun 3, 2003.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I really really do not like combat KI.

I saw an hour long documentary on it. I'd really like to have put their fat instructor to the test! :D Theres little skill in taking single hits to certain parts of the body, they've so lost the track of what MA's is. Its learning to avoid hits, not take them!

I really believe it will offer little in an actual fight! It won't stop your nose being broke, eyes blackened, or your breath taken away, not to mention any locks.......

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Does the words Steel Robe or Steel Full jacket ring a bell to anyone?

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Not to me, want to elaborate?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Full Metal Jacket?

5. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

The site has nothing to do with fighting, just getting hit.

Why not just wear body armor to a fight?

6. Adam

Adam New Member

I may have messed up the names, but it's something I heard the Shaolin monks excell at. Supposedly, it's a superior form of body conditioning that will make you able to withstand insane amounts of punishment and also edged weapons (!?!)

I remain sceptical myself, as I have never seen it done, but it is said to be tested and proven.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

said to be tested and proven by whom? I've seen photographs, but then I've also seen photographs of keanu reaves jumping into a guy's torso and making him explode.

8. Adam

Adam New Member

It's just hearsay, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be true.
    I find the bit about edged weapon resistance a bit hard to believe though.

The training method is supposed to be just getting whacked an unbelievable amount of times to mould the muscles and flesh into steel and leather.

I suppose you COULD withstand a knife stab if you had muscles like an elephant, but who's got that kind of brawn?

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If you get stabbed... it'll hurt trust me! OK, it goes numb for a bit first, and you could still stand up and attack then, but it won't be long before the pain kicks in and you can't. I would think it would depend on where the weapon was struck on you to see how long you could withstand it, but it would affect you.

10. Knight_Errant

You internal freaks can channel some energy through the vacant space between your ears and have a good logic session before you post these jokes again!:woo: :woo: :eek: :woo: :woo: :Alien:

11. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Watch it. :yeleyes:

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Easy tiger... We're all entitled to an opinion here.

13. Knight_Errant

Yeah, and this is mine.

14. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Knight Errant, I've been enjoying your posts and enthusiasm, but your just stepping over that line a bit mate.

If you see something you disagree with, by all means say so, but it's better to ask questions about it and discuss, rather than sneer and scoff.

If you've trained every system out there for a few years apeice, then you're free to dismiss them, but if you had, I doubt you would.

Aside from too much Caffeine in your blood stream, what itches you?

Was Shotokan sooooo bad?

15. Knight_Errant

I never took shotokan. My brother did and I don't like the way they taught him. OK. I back off.

16. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I don't know if anyone has said this, but various conditioning exercises for one, and another thing I do is hit my arms against a wooden pole at my house(looks a lot like a light post)
    I start off at a light paste, and I keep bringing up the intensity untill I can't take it anymore. I also do the same with my legs. I also do the same with the edges of my hand, with my palm, and also strike it with my finger tips. I try puching it sometimes for my fist, but hell, it hurts too much, so I don't dwell much on that at all. However, I'm sure there's a much better way than what I do.

17. Adam

Adam New Member

I don't dismiss this kind of internal conditioning, I just never saw it in action. (apart from the iron-mind as it is applied by many good martial artists.) It could very well be some very effective way of conditioning and I don't know anything about it, so who am I to call it utter bollocks?
    You could check out bullshido.com. Not a very nice forum site in my opinion, (troll heaven) but that's where I got the information about some super-monk who had that kind of conditioning.
    I could post the link to the thread if someone's interested.

18. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

interested always

19. Adam

Adam New Member

20. Knight_Errant

I'm not saying anything (thanks Adam for saving me a lot of 'karma')