Body toughening to take hits

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mikelw, Jun 3, 2003.

1. mikelw

mikelw New Member

What are ways besides full contact sparring and actually getting hit to toughen the body (mostly upper body), shins, and knuckles WITHOUT deforming/harming yourself/ giving yourself arthritis in your later years? Any ideas?

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

There are a few post on this under Kenpo, Kickboxing and a few more, take a look at some of them.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What style of karate do you do? What are you trying to toughen yourself up for, fighting, self defence, etc?

You could train yourself to mentally block out pain. The mind can be a powerful thing, use it.

Failing that, go thump some trees :D

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ahaa... i see thumping trees hav become new fad on MAP :D
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Why do you want to do it?

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The only thing you need to toughen is your mind.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Uh, none really. Maybe surgery...

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

And the best way to do that, is to spar and pressure test!

9. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

When i'm hurting, i just seperate my mind and body, and see it that my broken leg is sending a message to my brain, saying "Ahh u idiot, you broke me!". But, as i said in another post, this will probably be the WRONG way of doing it, as you need to keep mind and body as one, so i'll ditch this method as i get better at combining mind/body.

10. YODA

Exactly! :D

You can toughen your mind without martial arts though.

11. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Start playing First Grade Rubgy Legue,your'll get very fit put on weight and get as many hits as any one could ever want all in the name of sport.:D

12. YODA

I understand fully Kat- being born & bred in Wigan :D

13. steeldiscipline

steeldiscipline New Member

Do some research on combat KI. Its a form of body hardening using breathing control and focus. Check out jukokia.com

14. YODA

(((Sigh)))

Hogwash! Standing there while someone hits you where they are telling you will hit you is a nice party trick. Applying that when some testosterone fuelled nuttyer is trying to dent your head with a fencepost is another matter.

15. Adam

Adam New Member

How 'bout this:

www.sindo.org

Can this be done? Channeling inner energy to make yourself invulnerable.

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

A more effective way in reality is to hit them hard several time, thus making yourself invulnerable! :)

17. YODA

NO - you can channel energy to make your students bank accounts lighter though :woo:

18. Adam

Adam New Member

my thoughts excactly :D

I really like those bollocks MA sites :D

19. steeldiscipline

steeldiscipline New Member

Now I dont believe that its some mystical power. Some people think that combat KI is getting hit and not feeling the pain. This has never been the case for me. But I do believe you train this way to control your reaction to pain. If you takes someones best strike and react as if it didnt phase you its phyicalogicly tramatic to your oppent. I believe if train to take strikes to the throat, soloflex, groin, ect. when it happens on the street you will react diffretly.
    Its kind of like stubbing your toe and yelling before it ever starts hurting. If someone kicks you in the groin and you fall to the ground what do thinks hes going to do next , thats wright stomp you. Now I know some of the old phillosiphy on the subject hard to swallow but we should keep an open mind.

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If someone hits HARD you in the throat/groin etc, it will hurt and you'll go down. No amount of training can prepare you for a serious thumping in critical places like that. If someone's punching you in the stomach/chest/face, then you can train to take blows to there better than other places. Martial arts isn't about making yourself superhuman, its about having a better chance than before.