Body Feel, whats it mean to you?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Simplicity, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

To me, body feel is daily decrease then daily increase. I like to get to the point of not using as much muscles to get the same job done. How do you do "IT".

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Get someone esle to do it for me:D

3. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Doesn't anyone know what I'm talking about here? (Body Feel)

4. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Yes I do. You are talking about being able to bring your awareness into EVERY movement that you make and extending your awarness deep into your body as well as in the space around it. This is how to "train" all day long! Have you tried Tai Chi?

ToomuchofthatwillmakeyougoblindMartialartsnobout!

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do you mean not as many muscles used or less effort from those that you do use?

Personally I go for the latter

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

MartialArtsnob, in your own way you nail it. What I'm talking about. No, I don't do Tai Chi. But I do understand Taoism, and if I'm right Tai Chi has come out of Taoism. I'm just being me, all that I only know how to be. Take Care!

7. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Hannibal,
    Sometimes us martial artist use to many muscles to get the same job done. This is not very economical. Also, fire-ing up to much muscles slows down the muscles that are actually doing the movement, thus acting as a brake. This is what I mean. I hope this helps you. Take Care!

8. Hannibal

Personally I am a bone-idle fighter and look to finish with as little effort for maximum results as possible.

So I suppose we are looking at the same thing from a different angle :D

9. Pat OMalley

I tend to use what I call the lazy mans approach, least amount of effort, maximum amount of response. Know what I mean. but at the end of the day it all takes training, like anything in life, if you do it often enough 1. you find an easier way to do it and 2. It becomes a natural reaction with no effort.

If effort is involved you are trying to hard, if you try too hard the chances are you will make a mistake, make a mistake and the chances are you will loose, Loose and the chances are you have not trained the technique enough.

You can only reject what is usless one you know it is uselss, not being able to do it does not mean it is usless, it may mean you have not trained it enough (see upper paragraph)

10. Zazen

Zazen New Member

To me body feel is when every muscle fiber, every part of your body is working together in perfect unison and everything flows. Its a great feeling. Well thats my interpretation of it.

11. MartialArtsSnob

What a great thread!

I learned about something called co-contraction patterns. It has been shown that there is a specific contraction pattern of the musculature that corresponds to each emotion. In fact without the contraction pattern you CANNOT feel the emotion. For instance, when you get angry there is a tightening of the jaw, fists, generally you are bracing yourself. If a person is under hypnosis and in a deeply relaxed state the same stimulus which provokes an anger response will not succeed.
    What I get from this is that the ability to stay physically relaxed IS the ability to stay emotionally relaxed. I was told once "Stress is the degree to which we contract against reality". My Tai Chi teacher tells me energy does not flow through well through tension or stress.

I know that when I am training, sparring, pushing hands, chopping wood or any other ummmm activity, I sometimes fall into “The Zone” or what my Karate teacher calls “The stillness in motion”. Everything is quiet, totally relaxed and everything seems to happen perfectly and in slow motion. I can be yanked out of this in an instant with the slightest bit of tension.

WishIcoulddothisatwillMartialartsnobout!

12. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

MartialArtsnob,
    I'm glad you like this thread. I've have been training all my life and I have found this important body feel to be number 1 uno, as far as martial arts goes. This is just my experience with the Arts, though I find "IT" in every martial arts I have done. Sound like you have some great teachers that are pointing the way for you. Yin- Yang is so important, that us martial artist can't ignore "IT". In order to function properly we have to use "IT" right. Over the years I have see Yin-Yang used as. Oh you do hard style martial arts, or Oh you do soft style martial arts. This are people that don't understand Yin-Yang principle yet. But that will be another thread that I will post sometime later.

Take Care!

13. Hannibal

Exactly - Note I said lazy fighter not lazy trainer!

I firmly believe in two old adages -

"Train Hard, Fight Easy"

"The more you sweat, the less you bleed"

14. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

i usualy get "THERE" (that state) after a heavy training (1-1/2h), when i still spar then, i don't feel tired nor heavy anymore, i'm light - it's kinda like i'm "over" the fatigue (probably just the endomorphines doing there job!)
    :p

15. Black Dog

Black Dog Expressionist

Isn't that kind of like a second wind?

I know what you're talking about, though.
    It's almost like a surge of energy that you don't really notice.

16. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Body Feel = "Less Is More"

17. MartialArtsSnob

Cheng Man Ching said "invest in loss".

18. Pat OMalley

That's great but I'm just a lazy old man;)

"Train Hard, Get Tired":eek:

The more you sweat, the more you stink":eek:

On a more serious note I much prefer this one "Train smart not hard":cool:

19. MartialArtsSnob

No brain, no gain. That's what I say.

20. Pat OMalley

Like it:D