Boardgames... Yep.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Knee Rider, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

1. I like the sims a lot too. Its one of the best tools for reflecting on your poor life choices as you waste your day watching someone read a book when you yourself could have read all day.

2. Check the ToS with regards to using caps ;)

2. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I would, but the ToS page i found is not the ToS page from the old site. Link me to one otherwise and i will do.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

OK so now I have more BSG stuff to collect!

Knee Rider likes this.
  4. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Also, Monopoly is probably the most violent game on the board game list. :p

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Apparently it really captures the paranoia and cat and mouse chase of the first few seasons. I reckon it'd be great with 4 and up players.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I love Axis & Allies. I grew up playing it with my Dad. We still play when I visit at Christmas time.

Monopoly will alway remind me of rainy Saturdays and family vacations. I still play this game regularly with friends.

The Game of Life is another rainy day classic from childhood. I have this game on my iPad, but it's not the same.

As a massive H.P. Lovecraft fan, I love Arkham Horror.

I also enjoy Letters from Whitechapel. It has a Lovevcraftian feel and is basically Clue on steroids.

I used to play Settlers of Catan, but have not played in quite a while.

I'm currently trying to acquire a complete set of Fireball Island (I don't think I'll ever forgive my parents for throwing mine out), but I don't have $300+ to spare for a board game.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

So, played Eldrich Horror yesterday....man the game is gruelling! But in a good way. You feel consistently under the oppressive weight of an ever encroaching apocalyptic evil and your journey is fraught with breakdowns, misfortunes and morale crushing encounters.

The rules are reasonably heafty (especially if your only used to your standard MB boardgame fare) but you can get to grips with the fundamental play mechanics very quickly.

Set up is lengthy and highly involved especially the first game out of the box. Our first game took over 7hrs from start to bitter end.

Overall I think it's fantastic. The game is enjoyable and the world is dripping in lovecaftian atmosphere - created by quality components and some good writing (for a boardgame).

Gonna play again today.

5/5 stars.