Board Holder

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TKDad, Mar 24, 2003.

1. TKDad

TKDad New Member

Personal Board Holder

I am having a really tough time with my jump spin side kick, and kicking the Wavemaster doesn't really seem to help. I have been trying to find a rebreakable board holder that I can attach to my WM and use for practice at home (bracing the WM up against the wall). My wife and kids are having similar problems, so I need something that is adjustable in height.

I was chatting with someone in my local martial arts supply store, and she mentioned that she had done a Google search and "founds loads of them" for about $100. She could not remember her search or a product name. My attampts at a similar search have been unsuccessful. Does anybody know if such a training device exists?

:woo:

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

3. TKDad

TKDad New Member

Thank you

The holder looks exactly like what I need. I'll post a follow-up after I've tried it.

:D

4. Helm

Helm New Member

Spin side-kick? U mean a jump backkick right?

Else you'd have to do a 360 spin then sidekick, at which point theres so much force on your hips from the spin its hard to get the leg out straight...

5. TKDad

TKDad New Member

You are correct, the technique is a jump back kick. My master calls it a jump spin sidekick,

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

One of the students in our school actually made this board holder for us and it works quite well for multiple boards (3 or more). [​IMG]

As long as you strike boards dead on ... otherwise you strike cold steel!! :eek:
    They used to sell one similarly online at powerboardholder.com (non-existent now) ... for a couple hundred dollars

7. Mark Davies

Mark Davies Valued Member

If you want to be technical you have back piercing kick which is a blind technique, & back side kick in which you have rotated slightly further around into the sidekick position & you are looking at the target.
    Just trying to be annoying, hehehe:Angel:

8. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

Board Breaking

hey who knows the dimensions for the wood boards used for breaking.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

1" and 1/2 " thick boards could measure anywhere from 12" X 4"-12"

You can purchase here

10. Neckbones

Neckbones New Member

:eek:

KickChick,

I thought you were kiddin with the link until I clicked it. LOL
    Do you suppose they probably go to their local Home Depot, Lowes, etc. pay $5.00 for a long plank, cut it up, put it in a box, label it martial arts breaking boards and sell it for $20.00? Why didn't I think of that??!! :confused:

:p

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

LOL

Another "wish I thought of that" idea.

Actually those site are not uncommon....
    here's another http://www.nbbf.net/Products/Products.asp

The folks at Home Depot shutter when they see me come into the store ... ! :eek:

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm the same, I'll go through about 50 boards till I find one the right grain and such. Didn't we talk about this a Loooooong time ago KC?

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Good memory Kwaj ..... yes, and I'm still getting those looks!! :D :eek:

14. bauer

bauer New Member

Desperate student needing a board holder

I know this has been asked before but no-one's ever got a proper answer back.

I'm a penniless university student - all my money disappears into tkd. But I'm desperate for a board holder as I never really get a chance to practice at class as all the blue and red belts steal the floor trying to impress each other with rediculous amounts of boards leaving none for the rest of us to try with. I'm only 8th kup in ITF TKD but I've been doing martial arts since I was 3 (I'm 20 now so do the math :p) and I'm pretty good at breaking but want to try and make sure I can do a number of techniques and also, even though I'm right footed, previous injury means my left leg is actually stronger now, so I REALLY need to work on my right leg.

I'm desperate to make a holder, I'll fork out the money for the boards but the holder I'd prefer to make. I have TONS of leftover stuff since my parents just installed a new kitchen. Lots of wood and tons of tools at my fingertips, all I need is the plans.

I could probably make plans up myself, but it'd be MILES easier just to get plans and work from them.

Can anyone help me out here?

15. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

you could do it in 5 mins! but my friend has found an even easier way!! build a box with no top or bottom quite long, make it so that the outside of the box is the same size as the board. then build a small shelf to hold the board onto (or just make one side of the box longer than the others), and get a thick band of elastic (from C&H fabrics or habberdashery shop) stable it both sides so that you get something extra to hold your board, then fix it on the wall! easy! my mate has built 3 for each section and finds they work really well!

16. bauer

bauer New Member

That's quite a clever idea actually lol.

My only problem is I'm looking for one I can move about. The kind that you prop up against a wall. That idea would work but I need one for outside as there's no room for one in my house but plenty of room outside.

I've found this pic (below)

That's not exactly what I'd need but roughly there - I'd just have it with two legs either side and have the back propped up against the wall. But if anyone has any ideas towards that I'd welcome them. Even a free standing one would work for me, I can change around a plan easier than constructing a completely new one lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  17. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

When I want to practice breaking, but lack either boards or someone to hold them, I tie a small pillow to a tree, punching bag or pillar, and see how well I can hit it.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Bauer, I've looked around the internet and I thought I had one in hand, but it turned out not to be. There are some pics in the gallery that show some nice stand up board holders. There are some commercial ones that are handheld, but not any that I know of that are stand up on the floor type. I don't think they'd be too difficult to build though.

19. camouflagecat

camouflagecat Valued Member

Where to sell board breaking stand/holder?

I've searched through the internet and I haven't found anything but Ebay to sell martial arts items, and I don't think a board holder would get many hits but people seem to need them. Are there any swap pages on this site or another?

20. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Ebay will give you plenty of hits providing you title it right. Just make sure you include a few keywords that people are likely to search.
    As an example you could have:

Breaking stand (tae kwon do, karate, kung fu)

That way whenever someone searches for "tae kwon do", "karate", or "kung fu" your item will still appear on their results, as well as if they were searching specifically for a breaking stand. Also, triple check your spelling of the title, I've lost count of how many bargains I have got out of people's typos. :D
    Hope that helps. :)