Bo staff, what kind of wood.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Buying my first Bo staff what material do you reckon would be best?

Rattan, red oak, tappered...

Whats the difference in production? in use?

Thanks guys :cool:

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

For your first bo, anything wooden, you wont go far wrong with red or white oak. I much prefer tapered bo, but that's personal preference.

Don't overthink it; it's a piece of wood at the end of the day.

3. eyeofstorm

eyeofstorm Valued Member

Has your school asked you to buy a staff? If so they would be the best ones to tell you what kind you need. If this is for your own use then it depends on your training goals are. A rattan staff is very light compared with an oak staff. So for developing strength particularly in the upper body (especially grip strength) then an oak one would be best. Personally we use oak staffs that aren't tapered as we've had problems with the tapered ends splitting when hitting other objects or other staffs. I think the tapered ones may be easier for spinning but full width staffs require more strength and control when spinning so you get that additional training benefit.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

No it's for personnal use, I am well versed in long staff techniques via kuk sool and although I do not practise the system anymore, I did enjoy their staff work.

Thinking of red or white oak, whichever is cheaper, I'm on a student budget :p

Thanks very much guys!

5. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Then what did your kuk sool instructor advise you to use when you practiced it with him/her? That's your best answer.

Barring that, here's my answer:
    Red or white oak is what most of the store-bought stuff around is, unless you do some Chinese arts which recommend waxwood. Unless you're planning on making the staff yourself, it's not like you'll be choosing from a variety of woods.

AFAIK, tapered vs. all-straight is a preference thing, whether on the part of the school, or, later on, of the practitioner.

As for the matter of wood vs. rattan vs. synthetic-materials vs. whatever, use what your training partner uses, in order to avoid unduly damaging the equipment.

Old-style weapons and old-style weapons arts vary widely. That's why you'll keep seeing us all say "ask your instructor".

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  6. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Ask your old teacher, just like Bronze Statue suggested.

There is a hell of a lot of differences between staffs. Some are heavy but hit with a lot of "thump" when they connect. There are others that do not pack as much mass and damage but make up with it with their ability to start and stop so quickly so they can hit multiple times.

Imagine getting hit by a huge truck. That does a lot more damage than a VW beetle. But the beetle can take off, stop and change directions faster. If you try to use one like the other you will get yourself in trouble so if you are doing a certain style you need to ask teachers that do that style what kind of staff the moves were designed for.

7. Gojushinki

Gojushinki Pre-Blue Belt

I would suggest two bo if you can afford it. One made of oak (red or white) that is straight, not tapered. Then one made of rattan (or another lightweight material) that's tapered. You practice with the oak one for a bit, then switch to the lighter one. You'll notice a drastic change in the speed and accuracy of your techniques.

I own one oak non-tapered bo, one rattan tapered bo, and to really challenge myself, a solid steel bo.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

What do you want it for? Show or a weapon?

9. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

If your training Kuk Sool then rattan definitely. For all the reasons the Don said. Lots of spins and direction changes. The whipping action and precise strikes involved require a light strong staff.

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I think the OP may have bought one in the 3 weeks since the last post.