Blue Trimmed General's?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Herbo, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

While meant to be studying I found myself perusing the photos from the NKMAA Gathering of the Grand Masters. I noticed in a couple of photo's a lady who was wearing a blue trimmed general's uniform.
    I wondered what style this uniform is a part of, and what rank it represents?

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Picture???

3. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

In NKMAA the trim is 1st&2nd Dan Silver - 3rd&4th Dan Blue - 5th&6th Dan Red - 7th&8th Dan Red/Gold.

I asked GM T about it several years ago, and if I recall correctly the blue was an innovation by GM Pak In Shyuk, as he felt the need to differentiate the difference between a 1st/2nd Dan and a 3rd/4th Dan which is quite vast, indeed :)

Cheers!

4. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Fair enough. I never thought the wee change in bib badge did the 3rd dahns justice.

Although the silver/red 4th dahn uniform looked the coolest I thought.

5. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

I have used a dark royal blue trim for 1-4th degrees since the mid 1980's.

6. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

does that mean that you wore blue as you progressed through 1st > 4th of the organisation in which you study?

or that you have instituted blue as "the" colour for the 1st-4th dahns of the organisation which you lead?

your comment is ambiguous

sorry - just realised theres a third option - you're a Freemason!?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

I was replying in reference to OTL's post #3 and the "innovation" statement regarding use of the color blue for trim.

8. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

That is obvious and is not what I was asking of you
    I was asking for further details of the context in which you - or maybe your students - wore blue

9. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

My favorite anecdote about the 4th dan general's uniform, comes from one of the first to ever wear it - namely, Marlin Sims. He (lovingly & jokingly) called it a "candy-stripe" uniform. :D

I also found it amusing that when some female sadans went looking for "matching" ribbons (which could be used not only to tie their hair back but could also serve the function of *nonclashing* ornamental accoutrements), they had to wait until christmastime in order to find such ribbon - silver & red being a more common color scheme during that time of year (hooray for the holidays!).

10. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Baahh humbug...

11. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Is there any historical point in the blue trimmed uniforms, or was it soley to be different?

12. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Is that question directed at me?

13. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Well, sure. LOL

Both you and the Kong Shin Bup Hapkido Camp.
    Why the choice in blue? Historical? Military reasoning? Faviorite color? ADD and it caught your attention first? Whats the reasoning behind the color blue?

14. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Within my art, we have used a royal blue (satin material) trim on 1st-4th degree formal uniforms and a red (satin material) trim on 5th-8th degree formal uniform.

Philosophically, the reasoning of the color choice is based on EumYang and the 교법 KyoBeob 敎法 Teaching Method of the art. To explain in more detail:

From 1st-4th Degree, one learns the art exactly the way it is handed down and everyone is doing things the same way. At this stage, the art is "analysis" and technique is the basis. In this way, the purpose is to internalize (Eum/Blue) the external aspect of the art.

From 5th-8th Degree, one expresses (what has now been internalized) the art according to one's own natural character. This is why you see different masters of the same art do the same exact skills/techniques but each with his/her own characteristic style/manner/interpretation so that each master is unique in application. At this stage, the art is "synthesis" and application is the basis. In this way, the purpose is to externalize (Yang/Red) the internal aspect of the art.

Therefore,

1st-4th Degree internalizes the art via analysis. This is Eum/Blue within the Yang.

5th-8th Degree externalizes the art via synthesis. This is Yang/Red within the Eum.

So, we go from external to internal and then internal to external according to the philosophy of EumYang.

[Added after original posting: In the Korean EumYang, you will see Eum/Blue and Yang/Red.]

Hope this explanation is adequate.

BTW: I have never been part of Kong Shin Bup Hapkido and have never researched anything about that art/organization.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

So only at 5th dahn and above is personal style and technical preference expressed or encouraged?

16. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

The formal end from internalizing the art via analysis occurs at 4th Degree. Once a person is 4th Degree, the art is externalized via synthesis. So, it is at 4th Degree that the change occurs.

As to the balance of your question, it is within 음양 원리 호신술 EumYang WeonRi HoSinSul 陰陽 原理 護身術 Eum-Yang Principles of Protect Self Technique, the six distinctly different types of 대련 DaeRyeon 對練 Opposition Practices, and the 혼식 과 자유 대련 HonSik Kwa JaYu DaeRyeon 混式 과 自由 對練 Confused Fashion (mixed type) and Free Opposition Practices that 1st-4th Degree acquires "personal style and technical preference".

Opposition Practice is how to say "Sparring".

Note to unknown-KJN: I saved you the trouble of reverse transcription to HanKeul and determination of HanJa above. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

All this mumbo jumbo means is that at a certain point in ones training he/she should understand what they/we are doing. It was put to me as... "now that you are at a certain level your training now becomes more like a thesis". Which I took as I should look deeper into the why's and what for. I don't think the outline that SeongIn is teaching is much different than what is suppose to happen, it is his methods of how the information is presented that is probably unique. That said I can see why teaching children is probably not a good idea for him, heck I couldn't learn like that.