Bloody flipping padwork and Jab

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Seventh, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I appreciate the help Mitch, quite a lot actually, but my mind is unfortunately not comprehending the advice. Thinking about this too much will only serve to make me hesitate more anyways. I should just train harder lol.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

More training is almost always the right way to go :)

Mitch

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Some great responses by all. Not much more I can add to say that other than I prefer Russ Abner's explanation of the jab better than the Expert Boxing one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH0rO2RFBPw"]Rival Boxing Training Tip #2 / The Jab - YouTube[/ame]

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'll ease back,, I'd hate to add to the confusion, but I do have a tip that may help.

Imagine you have a fist on your rear hip (facing forward).
    Now imagine a pad two inches in front of that fist.
    Get the hip fist to snap into the pad. It is like the hip is punching or snapping forward.

If it helps with visualisation you can imagine both the rear knee and shoulder hitting into a pad two inches in front of them.

Effectively I want the right side of the body snapping towards an imaginary target.

This may help with getting the rear hip turning toward the punch.

You and Mitch are right though. Nothing better than practice.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. Seventh

Thanks Simon, I'll keep that in mind. Going in for Boxing today, so I'll work on those jabs and crosses extra hard :)

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Here's another good video that covers some important aspects to keep in mind while practicing the basics:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKLGnOdxgE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKLGnOdxgE[/ame]

7. Seventh

Just came back from Boxing, and I must say that the padwork went so so much better. I was back with Patrick, my usual trainer too, so that was nice. My 1-2's went so much better, and I think I got that hip snapping motion with the right cross that Simon was getting at. The issue here is that my legs weren't bent enough, and I wasn't using them enough. Now I understand that power comes from the legs first, hips second, and arms and upper body last. Driving and twisting that right leg and sinking my wieght down really made a difference. I still need work because it's not consistent, but I'm feeling much better :) Thanks again everyone!

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I was working the mitts with one of the guys and he started throwing a right cross for me to duck under at the end of the combo. We work well together with mitt work and do different things and I was practicing dipping under and throwing some left hooks to his body which is open if you dip under a right cross. I meant to just lightly hit him in the side using my arm but accidentally turned into the punch with my hips and legs. I put absolutely no intent for power into the hook, but because the mechanics were done well in the hips/legs I can tell you the guy holding the mitts for me was not too pleased at getting socked in the gut like that and I had to explain what happened so he knew I wasn't getting "too excited" and that I didn't mean to hit him that hard. It is all in the hips/legs.

I also wanted to say that one thing I get complimented on a lot (when the gym posts videos again for their website I'll see if I'm in any and post it up so I'm not just talking out of my fingers on the interwebz!) is how fast and accurate my jab has gotten since I started a few months ago. - As an aside I've regularly done MMA in the past so I pick up things a little quick sometimes - I went from being "just whatever" my first month, to setting time aside in the gym to work NOTHING but my jab (500 jabs using a pyramid scheme, 1 -> 10 reps then 10 -> 1 rep, or doing 5 -6 3min rounds working on foot movement with just jabbing) for about two weeks, hopped back in the ring and all of a sudden my jab was great. Granted that's a way to build up proficiency and muscle memory and lacks technical advice in the explanation, but you should be getting that from your gym and then applying it when you train. Just like anything else, mind numbing repetitions gets you a lot better at stuff.

I give this thread two thumbs up by the way!

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yeah baby! :D

Glad it's all coming together :)

Now apply the same idea in your TKD patterns and your techniques will have real speed and power!

Mitch