Bloody flipping padwork and Jab

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Seventh, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just the opposite. It looks like you're extending far enough to lock your elbow out, which is a bit too far. And, if you're not warmed up, dangerous. (I had a training partner who damaged his bicep just overextending his jab when he was cold. I'll spare you the horrific details.)

You have a very side-on stance. I'd open it up a bit, so you're more squared with the target. It's not hurting your range any, but when you cross, you're wobbly because your feet are almost in a straight line with your punch. When you rotate your hips to throw your cross, you're crossing over your centerline and are off balance as a result.

Open your stance a bit. Watch a more experienced boxer. His basic stance will generally be more squared to his target. And he may even open it up a bit further as he's landing the cross.

Just a couple of things I noticed.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That's exactly what I was driving at, didn't want to interrupt you though :)

Mitch

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I noticed that you don't extend out your elbows that much and you're rotating your right shoulder back.

What you need to do when you punch is relax. Then you'll probably find that you will be able to reach those pads. What you can do is when you practice on the heavy bag is measure out your jab by fully extending out (though don't lock your elbow or try to stretch it out, you don't want to be feeling strain on your elbow, it should be relaxed) the arm (like you did when you did it slowly) then using the same distance try hitting the heavy bag faster and reaching that distance (without leaning over forward or stepping, if you need to step, shuffle forward first then throw the jab, try not to get into the habit of stepping and punching at the same time as you can lose your balance).

With your shoulders what you want to do when you're in your stance is to have your shoulders roughly at a 90 degree angle (this applies to all punches). Your leading shoulder is in front while your other shoulder is next to your head (not behind it). Another exercise you could try doing is in your boxing stance have the side of you rear shoulder resting up against a wall and then practice your jab.

Good luck and happy punching people in the head. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  4. Mitch

TKD habits maybe? Seventh, see how at the start of your vid, when you cross, your back hip and thigh have to uncomfortably almost come round your front leg? This is becasue your stance too narrow, or you're leaving your foot in the bucket perhaps, as Simon puts it.

I'd just say (without any knowledge of boxing, just from good body mechanics), that the back leg/hip need to be free to pivot and drive the shoulder then arm forwards without being impeded by the front leg. To do this you have to have a wider/squarer stance.

As you're now discussing thigh movements with a man in a mankini your mask decision is looking ever wiser :D

mitch

5. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Makes sense! I'm having trouble however visualizing what you are saying though with a more square stance. With the highlighted part, do you mean that both my feet are facing straight ahead which is an issue, or that my feet are in line with each other (my back foot lines up with my front foot).

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have a photograph as an example?

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm not a big fan of the elbows being out too much, I find it too telling.
    It is alright if you lead with the hand, but often the elbow moves first, which is wrong.

There is a good exercise you can do in class. Stand with your leading side against the wall, arm tight up to the wall. If your elbow moves first you can really feel it and can hardly throw the punch.
    This really gets the hands moving before the elbow.

7. Mitch

Take up a TKD L stance. Your back leg is not in line with, but close to being in line with your front foot; you could almost draw a line through your feet to your opponent.

This means your rear hip is turned away from the opponent. Even if you change the angle of the rear foot, but not it's position, the rear hip is behind the front when viewed by the opponent. You need to move the rear foot. So, with your left leg forward, you need to move your right foot to your right, nearer to walking stance (I'm using the terms to give general ideas you understand? Not as actual stances), which will in turn bring your right hip round and make you "squarer to your opponent.

Mitch

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Too bad you don't have a video on your foot work, but that could be another reason why you're losing balance. Your stance should be as a wide as taking a step forward. Comfortable, you should be able to pinpoint the center of gravity through the middle of your torso, going down through the floor (imagine a pole).

I also thought of another thing, by rotating your shoulders back your running into the risk of hyper extending your arms as you try to achieve more reach. You don't want to do that as you can seriously hurt yourself. Instead of punching in line with your shoulder, try bringing it more across so that its inline with the center of your head so its almost like your looking through your two lead knuckles (the barrel of the shotgun).

9. Seventh

Uploading one right now.....

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I agree, but I noticed two problems.
    One; it appears that seventh was hyper extending the elbow when he was punching slowly and two; that he was hardly extending it out enough when he was punching at normal speed. The wall exercise is a good solution, the video I posted (I think) also had the same exercise in it.

11. Seventh

Hey guys, I really really appreciate this. I really do! Thank you everyone!

Next video, with footwork....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuhQ3Vxsl8"]YouTube[/ame]

12. Simon

Okay first thing is the rear heel.

It is actually rotating away from the opponent. Imagine you need to push from the rear heel toward the opponent. the finishing position (at the end of the cross) should have your foot at the same angle, but about 4-6 inches in front of where it starts.

As is stands your punch and foot are going in different directions. This is where you distancing problem lies.

13. Simon

At 1.10 your are turning your rar foot, which is okay, but you are not pushing the right side of your body forward into the punch.

Get this right and it is like a door that slams when the wind catches it.

Even at slow speed the punch should slam into the opponent, not push.

At 2.50 the toes on the rear foot actually end up behind their starting position.

14. Seventh

Just a theory, but besides my sub par technique, I don't get a lot of traction on my carpet, and can actually slide around on it quite easily. That may be screwing me over.

I appreciate the criticism Simon, something to watch out for when I go to class tomorrow.

15. Simon

Not criticising, Seventh. I've seen a lot worse, sometimes by me.

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Turn your rear heel in a bit more so that its more in a 45 degree angle, at the moment its more closer to 70 degrees. If you do Taekwon-do that might be because you're used to doing stances like the L stance, with the Boxing stance both feet are pointing towards 45 degrees (some fighters like to have their front foot pointing straight ahead but that's more personal preference).

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/the-perfect-boxing-stance

Also keep in mind to have a bit more weight on the front foot than on the back foot (60/40), and lift the back heel off the ground a little. Your stance in the second video appeared to be a little bit on the wide side (your stance should be about shoulder width and as long as your average stride). Its going to take a little bit of practice to get it right, but here's some material to get you on the right path.

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/perfect-boxing-stance-width

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BprruQPMw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BprruQPMw[/ame]

17. Mitch

It's difficult from a video and under odd conditions, but I see what Simon means.

This bit is a bit of a drift but might put it in context and is in no way criticism, just developing some thoughts I was talking about in class on Wednesday actually.

Think about pattern Chon Ji, when you turn to the left, move the left foot and perform a low block in walking stance as the first move. Now, most people concentrate on the stepping foot. They want to get it into the right position, they want to get their body weight going forwards into the block, whatever.

But the front foot is a minor matter. As long as it travels behind the right to produce a wide ("square") stance it has pretty much done its job. It allows the technique, it doesn't perform it.

The rear foot is the key. The rear foot pivots, the rear knee bends, the rear leg straightens and drives, the right hip snaps forward. This is what drives the block, this is what develops all that torque, that rotational power.

The same is true (if not in those exact terms) of the cross. The drive has to come from the rear foot upwards, so there has to be a channel for the rear hip to move through and the back foot has to push. The Enshin founder talks about kicking the floor as you punch, not an exact description but you get the point. ITF TKD the same.

Just the ramblings of an old fella, I hope they help :)

Mitch

18. Seventh

I'll be honest, it is getting more and more confusing. Keep the help coming, but I'm thinking I should practice more, and then come back a few this thread after a couple of weeks to see where I stand.

19. Mitch

Sorry dude, didn't meant to make it worse, I was just trying to establish common principles.

Old men think about stuff too much :)

Mitch

20. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

One thing I noticed Seventh, from around the 10-20 second mark, your first few jabs your fist goes more vertical and downwards than I would. To me it looked like you were rotating your wrist a little too much.