Bloody flipping padwork and Jab

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Seventh, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Got back from Boxing a bit ago, I had one of the most frustrating experiences with the pads. It's been a nagging issue for a number of sessions, but today was the absolute worst. There was some good things during padwork (got smacked in the side of the head a number of times, which I'm grateful for because it reminds me to keep my hands up), but I am saddened to say that the cons outweighed the pro's this time. The jab especially on pads has been giving much frustration. This could be that I worked pads with a different trainer that I haven't worked with before, but that honestly sounds like more of an excuse then a problem. Frankly, making up excuses or being depressed isn't going to serve me any good, so I'm here to try and fix the issue. Problems are as follows:

- I miss the pads either due to not extending the arm out enough (especially on the jab) or I hit my trainers poor wrist.
    Elaborating on the range, I'm told to extend out as far as possible. When I try to do so, I either can't reach the pad properly, or when I extend I lose balance and power. I'm going to assume this comes with practice, but any pointers/things to watch out for would be appreciated.

- Having issue popping the jab
    When I throw the jab, I'm not getting that snapping sound on the pads. I'm fine jabbing for the most part on the heavy bag, but on the pads I suffer. When I execute a right cross, the sound on the pads is much much better. With the jab however, either there is not snapping sound (just a dull thud), I'm not extending it out, or a mixture of both, which is usually the case.

These are the two most problematic issues that are sticking out right now. I plan to upload a video of myself sometime tomorrow shadow boxing so you guys can see my technique, which is most likely the issue here.

Thank you in advance Mappers, it's appreciated.

~ Seventh

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Alert your trainer and have them watch you jab. If anything see if they can just work the jab for a round or two on the mitts with you. Sounds to me like a range issue but then again I'd have to see it to give it my opinion.

3. Seventh

We worked the jab for most of the round and I pretty much sucked the entire time. It's probably a range issue, but I have no problem fully extending and hitting the heavy bag properly. Stupid question, but how much is the difference?

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Bags can help give you some idea of range but you develop it more effectively through the mitts since it's a free moving target rather than stuck in one place by a chain.

For some home training the old reliable of a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling would probably help some. Just work on moving around it and popping it with some light jabs. The ball tends to swing around like crazy and is a small target so once you can accurately hit one of those well a pad will seem like a freight truck.

5. Seventh

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll rig one up tomorrow morning!

6. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Is your coach or a reasonably useful person holding the pads or is it a newbie? If the guy holding the pads isn't doing his job properly (especially if they aren't providing resistance), that will have quite a large impact on what it sounds like when you are hitting the mitts and also on how well you can perceive the power of your shots.

7. Seventh

Possibly, though truth be told I have no idea.

Video of me jabbing/crossing, criticism is appreciated....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJYuHu0Mts"]Jab n' Cross - YouTube[/ame]

Mask worn for privacy reasons, as a budding teenager there many scary things out there in the vast land that is the Internet.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A couple of things I noticed Seventh.

At the start of the video you are punching with your left lead. Look how your right shoulder turns away from the opponent.
    I would prefer you to lock off the right side of the body, keeping the right shoulder where it is.
    Image a door, it pivots around the hinge. The hinge stays where it is and the door (handle end) rotates around it.
    now draw a centre line down the middle of the body. You need to lock of the right side and get the left to turn around the centre axis toward the target.

Earlier I saw you had trouble reaching the pad and were over balanced when reaching.

Stand in your basic boxing stance. Now image you have talons like an eagle. Grip the floor with your toes, just to make sure you are "in your feet".
    Release the grip. Step forward once into the same stance, grip the floor. The feeling should be the same.
    Stand in your boxing stance and grip the floor. Lean forward and note how you get painful toes where you have over balanced. This is the feeling to avoid. By gripping the floor now and again you get better feel for where you are balance wise.

Ah, but now you can't reach the pads.

No problem. If you can't reach the pads without leaning, then you are out of range. Use your feet to get in range before attempting to punch.

The front foot does the range finding, not the hands.

Hope that helps.

9. Seventh

Thank you Simon, brilliant! Besides locking the right shoulder, and criticism on the jab itself. The trainer yesterday said I was rabbit punch, or not extending all the way out. How did the jab look in the video?

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeedpzLRe2E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeedpzLRe2E[/ame]

11. Seventh

Thanks for the video Hapuka, any criticism on my video?

12. Simon

Just noticed something else, this time with the rear cross. You are leaving your foot in the bucket.

Stand in front of a set of curtains (soft when you hit them).

Throw a slow jab so it just makes contact. Follow with the rear cross.

Note how you have had to lean to make the rear cross reach. You are probably throwing the rear shoulder at least six inches too far.
    Your rear leg straightens up, which means you now cannot move properly and you are open to an overhand left.

How to fix it.

When you throw the rear cross the hip and shoulder should be driving toward the opponent. The rear foot should mmove forward by a few inches, not enough to make the feet aprralel, but enough to make the punch reach without disrupting the upright stance.

Practice hitting the curtains (unless you have a bag). Take the entire right side of your body (lock the left side) toward the target. Note how by bringing the rear foot forward the punch now reaches without over reaching.
    By gripping the floor you should feel where your balance is. You should still be making contact with the floor with your rear foot. Remember you are bringing it forward, not up.

Soft knees.

This is a term I use for my guys for visualisation.

By standing bolt upright you encourage leaving the rear foot in the bucket.

Relax those knees, soft and bouncy. Jab, soft knees. Rear cross, soft knees. Don't come out of that stance.

13. Simon

Every trainer will have their own variation on the jab. Remember there are different types of jab.

• Feeler jab
    • Flicker jab
    • Power jab
    • Up jab
    • Peppering

Sometimes you need a long straight jab, sometimes you don't have the time and a short jab is necessary.

Stick to what your trainer says until you have some technique down.

It would be wrong of me to point you in another direction.

14. Simon

Don't be afraid to ask further questions though. Boxing mechanics is one of my favourite martial subjects.

I find it fascinating how two guys just using their arms can be so different and how one guy can be so commanding just by making the most minimal of changes.

15. Seventh

Thank you Simon. One thing however that the trainers told me when throwing a right cross is to put your weight on the right leg. Silly question, but can I do that while moving the right foot forward?

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just to explore this a bit, how do you work to combine this with "kicking the floor" to generate extra power Simon? Small slide then punch from the floor, rotating and pushing hip and shoulder presumably? Worth analysing for folk I think :)

Loving the mask BTW Seventh, I may start teaching wearing one. My students might prefer it actually :D

Mitch

Hah! Seventh and I cross posted! :D Told you it was worth exploring :D

17. Simon

Just remember that power comes from the floor, up through the legs, hips, body and arms. It is not driven by the arms.

By having a straight bolt upright stance you do not encourage power delivery.

Soft, relaxed knees. Put the energy in the legs. The legs are strong and will tire less than the arms.

You can put energy and power into the right side of your body, just don't over lean.

You need a centre line. Outside you can put some tape on the ground. Indorrs you can use a line in the kitchen floor tiles. Stand with one leg each side of this line. the line runs right through the centre of the body.
    Jab and cross and stop when the cross is at full reach. Is the line still centred, or has one of your shoulders drifted across (a common problem)?

You can have more energy in the right hand side, just try the floor gripping exercise and make sure your rear foot is still making good contact with the floor.
    If it isn't you need to centre before you can move again.
    If it is you can move forward, back or side to side without any re-adjustment.

18. Simon

If I'm reading this correctly the power generation (for the rear cross) starts in the rear foot. It is the rear foot that does the driving.

I find that my students reach for the punch, where I tell them that the foot should push the entire body.

If there was a small step in front of you, you would need (from a boxing stance) to hop over it. If I took away the use of your front foot, the rear would have to push the entire body forward. It is this push from the rear foot that I am looking for.

If this makes no sense I'll try and shoot a video, although I am with jwt tomorrow, so would have to do it Sunday.

Failing that Seventh you will have to fly over for the MAP meet.

19. Seventh

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIBBBQVIMw"]How to Box in HD - The Right Cross/Straight Right - YouTube[/ame]

Just taken a look at the guys hip rotation and use of legs, and I think I know what you are getting at Simon. Looking at my video, and this video as well as your advice, I notice that:

- I'm upright
    - Not using the legs explosively enough, mostly just using the hips and upper body
    - My front leg locks up way to much, too stiff.

There is more, but those aforementioned three stuck out the most.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  20. Seventh

Knowing my superior lack of navigational skills coupled with my ever so lacking of good luck, when attempting to fly I'd probably end up in some random destination haha.