Bloodsport - Jean Claud Van Damme (1988)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AJS-TKD, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As was fellow Inosanto student Chad Stahelski.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep, "Sword of Doom" is a very good samurai movie. "Evil mind, evil sword." :D I love the snow scene where Toshiro Mifune fells a dozen samurai, and then chews out the doom guy.

3. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

OK guys, but in Timecop....

...where the heck does the time car go when he goes back in time?

In the present at the TEC, he flies down the track in the car...then just steps casually into the past.

WHERE DOES THE CAR GO?????!??!?!

4. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

nice collection hannibal. Also a daniel bernhardt fan. Anyone remember him from mortal kombat conquest? good Martial arts show , I think its on youtube.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

He parks it in Narnia. Under the lamp post. Duh.

;)

Time travel movies are always problematic. Even if the problems have nothing to do with the actual time travel (like your example). There's a scene in Terminator 2, where Sarah Connor is visiting some survivalist pals with her son and the Terminator (Arnie) in tow. They show several scenes featuring a German Shepherd walking diligently around the camp. Without a care in the world about the killer cyborg in their midst. Isn't that precisely the same animal they used to root out the cyborgs in "the future"?!

6. aikiMac

Wait, whoa, I recently introduced my son to the greatness that is Terminator, and now you're messing it up! No, no, no, I would rather say that the good programming of Arnold makes him smell different. Yes, that's it. Only evil programming smells evil to a dog.

There, problem solved. :D

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good save!

To be clear, the original Terminator film was awesome. The sequel was a visual marvel, no questions asked.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Your memory is deficient Ap. It says that they used dogs to detect terminators but that the T-800s were harder to detect because they were detailed to the point of having bad breath.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ah!

Man. That anomaly has been bothering me since the early 1990s. Sounds like I just wasn't paying enough attention.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Watching blood sport just now, still lol that people think this happened.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, no kidding. Though it does deserve credit as basically kickstarting a whole subgenre of action movies. For a while there, every up-and-coming martial arts action hero had to make two of three distinct action movies:

1) The underground tournament movie
    2) The prison movie
    3) The post-apocalyptic near future where firearms are scarce and people live by their fists movie

Oddly, Van Damme played a hand in kickstarting (so to speak) all three: Bloodsport, The Quest, In Hell, Death Warrant, and Cyborg

He has much to answer for. :)

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Cyborg is one of my "guilty pleasure" movies :)

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Universal soldier for me. I watched the newest one (universal soldier 4 I think) and it was actually alright! Bit confusing storyline though.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Was that the one with Scott Adkins?

15. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

All of this is making me doubt the blair witch project. ;)

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

This is always the bit which gets me. If you assume that a full contact knockout tournament only allows each fighter to participate in a single bout (i.e. no round robins, direct elimination all the way to the final) then the number of fighters needed for a 56-knockout streak is 2 raised to the power of 56. To illustrate why, if you have two fighters, either of them can win with one knockout in a row. With 4, that increases to 2. With 8, 3, etc. In all cases, as the number of knockouts increases by 1, the required number of competitors doubles (ignoring byes for the example).

Digressing for a moment, this is oddly similar to an old story about a man who did a favour for a king and was offered the chance to ask for a reasonable reward. He asked for a chessboard to be brought out, and for a single grain of rice to be placed on a square. After that, 2 grains would be placed on another square, then 4, then 8, etc. However much rice was needed to fill the chessboard would be reward enough.

Suffice to say, not a good deal for the king despite sounding innocent enough.

For 56 consecutive knockouts in a direct elimination tounament, the secret underground fight would have necessitated a total of 72,057,594,037,927,936 competitors, which is about 10 million times the number of people alive today.

The problem can be somewhat addressed with round robins, but then you lead to a secondary problem of how many deaths must have occurred in these tournaments if fighters were being routinely and repetitively beaten into unconsciousness.

In short, it's a nonsensical claim when you look at the mathematics of it all!

17. aikiMac

Maybe the tournament lasted two or three or four weeks? Sumo tournaments go for, what, 14 days? So maybe there was double elimination and you only fight once a day? Or it was a round-robin, and you only fight once a day?

(pause) (blink)

Wait, am I defending the Frank Dux claims? :eek: Gasp!
    I'll shut up now.

18. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Didn't Van Dammes career go down the tubes when he started snorting stuff up his nose?

MOD Note. Watch the masked profanity please.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  19. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

ok i'll be careful with my language from now on.