Block's How are You Use Them?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Anomandaris, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

It may seem an odd question, you use them for blocking yes?

well I'm not so sure, I have been thinking and wondered why would I ever have a block, surely the block hurts their body part in use...so couldn't I just use a block as a different type of attack.

an attack the hurts the opponents offending weapon(arms, leg etc) rather than a more vital area?

is this just me or do you see blocks as more of an offensive or defensive tool.

2. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Both! :D

Destructive blocking is a very useful technique. A personal favourite of mine is blocking a turning kick with my elbow.
    Of course, sometimes direct blocking can harm yourself, bruising on the forarms etc. So I tend to parry more than block. After redirecting my opponents attack, I counter from the side or from behind.

3. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Of course, sometimes direct blocking can harm yourself, bruising on the forarms etc.

4. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

personally I prefer body shifting and simply being out of the way of the attack but a counter attack to the offending weapon via a block is something I often try and do.

also after a self defence situation(which I train to be successful in, the art is secondary) if all you have done is hit an arm or a leg it seems far less like you were attacking back, a punch on the nose looks like an attack while a dead leg or a bruise on an arm look like defence.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, but who can guarantee that you'll be faster than your attacker?!

6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

In training, perhaps not. :) However, in a self defence scenario, I would still rather not get any kind of injury, even bruising ;)

7. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

I like to use my blocks to set up my next attack. For example, a middle section outer forearm block can be used in a resisting motion, circling outwards. While the block is occurring, circle around and into your opponent towards their attacking arm. When the block is completed your arm should be bent in a V shape, following this, grab your opponents upper arm (the attacking one) and push their arm down. Then raise your elbow horizontal to their temple. Voila, instant elbow, simply do an inward crescent elbow from that position to the temple. (It's not easy to describe over the net) There are plenty more where that came from.

Blocks do not need to be either purely offensive or defensive techniques, I find that they are best used to setup your next attack. This is particularly true of joint locking and grappling techniques, although it applies to striking as well.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  8. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Agreed :)

9. G50

G50 Night Owl

Anomandaris - Just think of it as if you were really being attacked by someone, wouldn't u want to try and block their attack? (if it's not a knife or sword). Getting a bruise is better than getting hurt really badly or even killed. I say - always block as many attacks as you can, some day it may save your life :D

10. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Your blocks are a power-delivery system just like any other strikes. You use them the same way.

11. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Bingo,a bruise on your forearm is better than a broken nose.If you don't like to block,you can work your footwork and learn to side or diamond step.But basic blocking is a cornerstone of your tkd training.Please don't overlook it,take it from a guy who has a slightly crooked nose. :D

12. lord s

lord s Valued Member

mmmm

in my opinion, best defeand for attacking is a counter attack
    especially backsidekicks, those are powerfull
    but if the opponent is faster than you, yep, a bruise on the forearm is better than a broken nose, cause when you get hit in your face, you get really confused and you may not complete the match well and you will lose, so a little bruise in the forearm is A LOT better
    peace

13. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

It is really funny to see these responses because I agree with them. However, less than a month ago I was having dinner with a 5th dan and 2nd dan WTF black belts and they said you should never block because you could get your arm broken. LOL Serious, they are Olympic fighters and perhaps that is the mentality there, but I would be hard pressed to get a broken arm from someone's kick. As someone here said too - I would rather a broken arm than a broken face.

14. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Directly "blocking" a kick with your arms is not usually a good idea. Legs are obviously larger and stronger than arms, so your arms will always be at a disadvantage in a direct conflict. Covering up and taking a kick on your arms is usually a better idea than taking the kick to the body or head, but it's still not a great option most of the time.
    We always want to use our strength to attack their weakness. In direct blocking (as opposed to deflecting, bridging or parrying) the bones in the arm can rarely compete with the bones in the leg for strength or structural integrity.

15. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I think some of you got the wrong idea here. I said that i would much prefer to completely evade an attack if at all possible, I didnt say that I never block! I do, but when I do I dont use them as a solid wave break thing, I use them more as an aggressive attack to the offending weapon to hurt it in the process.

16. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

@ Andy - A strong kick can break an arm. On an early episode of this season's Ultimate Fighter, one of the losers had his arm fractured by a round house kick early in his match. He was able to finish out the fight, but that injury prevented him from winning.

@ everyone else - I think the issue isn't evasion OR blocking...but how do you do both. Think about it, you would never just stand still and try to strike...you use the proper footwork to set up and deliver effective strikes. The same goes for blocking...either evasive footowrk to get one off the line of the attack and to lessen any impact while delivering a block (either a soft block to redirect the attack or a hard block meant to strike at the attack) or perhaps using entering footwork to get inside teh attackers range of power and set up for a counter attack. Anyway, I'm thinking we should be talking about how we use both evasion adn bloacking together to create strong defense and how strong defense can lead to strong offense.

Peace,
    Erik

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i think that goes without saying. it's only natural that you won't simply stand there like a punching bag taking all the beating.

18. G50

G50 Night Owl

Andy - In some ways you are right, you can get a broken arm from blocking, but only if you block the wrong way, and hit the wrong part of an attacker's arm or leg, so you have to be careful

Bluekey - what I said before ^, plus, you cannot always evade a kick or a strike, sometimes the kick or strike is way too fast, so in that case you would have to block and strike back

19. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

So am I the only one here who finds that they can't block a flury of punches?

20. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

It is better to evade and block. The objective is not to be a human heavy bag.