Blocking and Head Kicks (WTF)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by liero, Jul 2, 2012.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

It works...

One thing I've been working on is covering my head by raising the open side (back arm) up as I attack with front leg, like fist to the sky. It's stopped many a sneaky reverse.

While utilising a standard WTF guard (covering body mostly) how do you utilise blocking? Especially when attacking a good fighter, and also getting in and out of the clinch?

One thing that I am noticing with the e-hogu and the touch head kick rule is that when I get "inside" distance, like kicking range, the guard really has to come up, more so than previously when I might keep it down to draw out an attack and move out to counter.

PLEASE RESPECT THAT i want to have a discussion about tactics for WTF TKD. If you want to talk about the unrealisticness of the guard or its lack of effectiveness in another martial art rule set etc please start another thread!

2. Asterix187

Asterix187 Valued Member

Whilst I train ITF my general thought is that I tend to protect the area that scores the most points regardless of where that is.

3. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

I tend to use, (and teach), using a crossed guard when attacking; with the back hand covering the head on the front leg's side and the front hand covering the body of the same side.

Otherwise I don't think about it too much, but whatever I'm doing it seems to work.