Blind with Ball?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Xia, May 9, 2004.

1. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

Close your eyes at look up to the sky. Can building senses help your reaction time?
    Take a soccer ball for example, close your eyes, throw and catch it. (No peaking before or after, throw it enough so you don't know how high it went but not enough that it flies :rolleyes: )
    Then try punching and kicking the ball with your eyes closed. (Don't forget to throw it in the air first.) Just a fun exerise, fun because the ball might land on your head. :D

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Of course. You block off one sense, and other will get better.

PL

3. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Not sure what this has to do with reaction time...

4. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

It's almost like having 2 dudes searching for something. When you have your eyes open, then your eyes are doing it. When they are closed you are using another sense. Once you build up this sense, you'll be using both senses at once: you'll see the punch coming and you'll feel the punch coming. It could better your reaction time.

5. toothpaste100

But this has nothing to do with nerve pathways or anything to do with reaction time, merely turning you into daredevil.

6. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Sounds like ******** to me. Whatever "sense" your building up, it wont help you sense a punch comeing. The senses are: taste, smell, sight, hearing and touch. None of those (besides sight) are effective in detecting attacks thrown at you. This exercise, while perhaps being fun, will not help you advance your ma skills imo.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

It is pure luck whether you catch/punch/kick the ball or not.

Isn't it? - Yes it is!

:)

8. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

This, as a skill, can be developed like everything else one desires to develop. BUT, that development will come from better "feel" of where and how far you throw the ball.

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

It's funny, because just a while ago, I was watching Discovery channel and saw how a guy (Iaido practitioner I believe) was able to dodge a blade coming at him, while his eyes were close. Oh, the guy was behind him to, so he didn't just see the light in his eyes fade or anything.

PL

10. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

If that's the case, why is it possible to improve so much at this kind of exercise, to the extent that eventually you can punch/kick the ball the vast majority of the time? I do a similar exercise with a very light bag swinging from a beam, punching, blocking and kicking it blindfold.... I have improved a LOT in the few months since starting. And yes, it does seem to have enabled me to hit and evade a real target faster in sparring.

11. toothpaste100

Because you recognize what power it takes to throw the ball at the right height and when to strike to hit the ball at this height, it still has NOTHING to do with reaction time.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Seems like a bit of a waste of time to me.

Why is this thread in health and fitness?

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

even if you have someone else or a machine throwing the ball randomly?

It seems like a flawed exercise as you are the thrower and the catcher.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

It improves your sense of touch, not sense of reflexes, though.

PL