blind which martial art would be best for me?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by elitegroupuk, Apr 24, 2010.

1. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

Wrestling or Judo. Sure you can do BJJ as well. The point is that you will be grappling. Go by feel and not by sight.

2. Jiu JitsuNation

Jiu JitsuNation Valued Member

I have competed against the blind in BJJ and they are not to be underestimated! I would say a legit BJJ school would be perfect as it is more complex and addresses more self defense situations than wrestling or judo. Both of which I believe should also be integrated into your program.

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

4. Mister C

Mister C New Member

Hello Elite, we have a blind instructor at our Tae Kwon Do studio. He's been blind since birth and got his black belt in Tae Kwon Do when he was 14. However, Tae Kwon Do is probably not the best martial art for a blind student. The reason he succeeded was all because of the teacher (TKD Lady on this site), who was willing to modify the curriculum and give extra instruction by touch rather than sight. The most difficult challenge is to associate a command with exactly how your body should feel, since you cannot see yourself. So, for example, if the instructor says "front stance", you have to remember all the different parts and how your body feels doing them (back leg straight, front leg bent until you can't see your toes, fists with thumbs up touching your ribs, shoulders square to your opponent, heels on the ground, toes all pointing forward). You don't get hints from the other students by watching. It takes a lot more repetition than a sighted student.

My suggestion is focus on a ground-fighting art such as Ju-Jitsu or Judo. But, the most important thing is the instructor and are they willing to give you the extra time and instruction needed. If you find an instructor like that, I am sure that you will love the martial arts as it's a great way to keep in shape and develop self-confidence with your condition.

Just as a note about our school, since we have a blind instructor and two other instructors with training and a passion for teaching special conditions, we actively recruit physically challenged students. I am currently trying to recruit a teenage girl with 2 prosthetic legs, although she doesn't think she can manage it. In our school, trying hard is much more important than high kicks. And just in case that makes you think we just give belts out, I am proud to be able to say that we have more current state champions (10) than any other school in Arizona. Unfortunately, Arizona would be quite a commute for you.

Good luck in your search.

5. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I think he should try Tai Chi.

6. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Judo, jujutsu or sambo.

I would lean towards jujutsu only so as to incorporate close striking (ie. feet, hands, knees, elbows, forearms, headbutts).

Judo will teach you the subtle art of kuzushi through tai sabaki/body movements. Or you can be lazy like me and acquire kuzushi by palm heeling them in the chin or a forearm strike to their neck.

7. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

WHO...WHO...WHO wait a minute
    are you really blind? if you are how Can you come over to this site?
    or do you have a braille keyboard? and how can you read all this? and how did you chose that Smilie? is are there braille Smilies?

I do not mean to make fun of you and Forgive me if you take this offensive but I find it a bit strange.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What's wrong with you man? He's obviously not not completely blind. Most Blind people aren't completely blind.

9. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

you could try brazilian jiujitsu

10. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

What's wrong with you man? He's obviously not not completely blind. Most Blind people aren't completely blind.

aint that called being "impaired" or "impaired eyesight"?

but I heard that there are special computers for blind people
    People who are blind can use their computers by installing hardware or software that simulates the human voice reading the computer screen or produces hard-copy output in braille.

Attached Files:

11. elitegroupuk

elitegroupuk New Member

freeform and all your nice replys

Hi and thankyou to everybody for your help and advise i decided to go for win chung and have had around 12 private lessons and am enjoying it a great deal, i want to take up something else to go with this was thinking about karate but judo sounds like a good bet now,can anybody suggest a good tutor whom would be able to do 1 on 1 tuition within the birmingham area although for me i cant use a computer my lovely wife uses it for me,many blind people use talking software to help navigate through the net,the only thing i use it a talking mobile phone which is an absolute godsend but yes i am completly blind,thankyou all again will stay in touch

12. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

that is really inspiring. and enlightening.

good luck with your future martial arts training:cool:

13. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

glad to hear that youa re enjoying ur martial arts training so far, if you are looking to do something else also i would still recommend something like BJJ or jujitsu just because i think it would give you experience in different positions and also i think it would work best for you because it doesnt really rely on sight to be effective

14. elitegroupuk

elitegroupuk New Member

with thanks

once again thanks to you all i lost my sight 3 years ago and i have only just started to come to terms with it as i have been in denial i have good support through my wife and am hpoing the martial arts will give me more confidence,if anybody can suggest anyone local to birmingham or worcestershire whom can train 1on1 in any of the suggested marial arts please let us know so i can have a talk with them too.

many thanks to you all once again
    kind regards
    jay