blending kenpo with other striking styles

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Batmanb, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Hi everyone. I am looking for advice on mixing kenpo with wing chun,or other styles that would complement it. I have some experience in Japanese ju jitsu

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Any particular school of kenpo?

3. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

EPK preferably. Open to all styles.

4. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

That's like mixing Pepsi with Dr. Pepper. You're still gonna be drinking soda at the end of the day. WC has a lot of the same flawed striking concepts Kenpo can be known for, most notably the importance of the "trapping range" which in reality lasts a mere fraction of a moment in a real fight.

If you wanna mix it up to broaden your striking foundation, take up boxing.

5. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Did not know that. Would think each other strength would cover the weakness. The kenpo for mid-range and wing chun for close quarters.

6. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Lol, over 40 views come on guy chime in.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Boxing by far will be the best option - there is no room for theory that does not hold water in the art

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well Ed Parker Kenpo can be good. I like the focus on combat principles but not so much the large number of techniques in the system because I have heard of folks learning the techniques but not learning how to fight... kind of defeats the purpose of learning techniques if you don't also learn how to fight better.

I suggest you don't try to mix systems at first but stick to one and then cross-train later. Or just pick a mixed system like Kajukenbo which will include kenpo and boxing plus others to start off with and then decide later if you want to specialize in any one area more.

If you try to do too many different things together without first having a strong foundation in one or the other or both, especially if they are similar, you may end up having a hard time learning things.

9. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

The most important thing to give yourself in self-defense is options.

Have you considered a grappling style as an addition?.
    When i first started to become interested in martial arts, i found it intruiging that the Ju in Judo/JuJutsu was typicaly defined as "gentle" as in Judo meaning "gentle way".

What that basicaly means is, consider the legal consequences of acting in self-defense, but during the course of that action, being found to have exceeded the appropriate level of force required in relation to the threat that you were presented with.

I could go on for pages about this lol, but i will just leave it at this - Just do whatever striking art/arts you find yourself comfortable with, but, seriously consider something like Judo as your base to work from.

:cool:

10. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

oh.. whoops, just re-read your edited opening post.

Kenpo and wing chun kind of have their own particular ways of doing things, i would suggest in my humble opinion, that you choose the one you prefer, if in fact they are the only arts you are interested in.
    You should continue on with your study of JuJutsu. But ofcourse it is completely up to you.
    Train hard, train well. :cool:

11. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Will be meeting with the kenpo instructor tomorrow.

12. UrbanDaoist

UrbanDaoist Valued Member

I would say you where better of mixing it with FMA, as they go hand in hand. Then you will also get a freash perspective on some of the knife and club tecniques in Kenpo. They are not all that good. I can highly recomend that you go with the Huk Planas lineage, as you are not likely to find one, who has a higher understanding of the intricate deatails of the system.

13. UrbanDaoist

BTW how long have you been doing Kenpo???

14. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

It will be my first time trying kenpo.

15. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Hard to find in my area.

16. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

17. UrbanDaoist

Mixing Kenpo

To be honest, then I would not recomend you mixing it with anything. Stay with Kenpo until you have a solid base. Second/third degree black belt, then start looking around.

Wing Chun and Kenpo have different structures, too difficult at a beginners level. Sorry! :fight1:

18. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Where are you? Alot of FMA is done in backyard groups, so it may be in your area and you are unaware of it.

19. blindside

blindside Valued Member

double post

20. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Excellent observation. I would discourage a beginner from mixing arts.... too confusing. But once you've got a solid foundation in a striking or grappling art, FMA is a great thing get into. Our backyard FMA group has people from Kenpo, WC, boxing and Judo... all loving it.