"Black Belt" myths

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Artikon, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Just to pose a question to the group which stems from a discussion I had in class on the weekend. What do you feel are some of the myths pertaining to the idea of some one who holds a black belt. Do you feel these myths are positive or negative, and how do you feel these myths came about.

I have my own ideas on this, but I want to hear what the group thinks before I comment.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

A black belt doesn't mean you can hold your own on the street, I think that's a common myth.

3. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

What did Mr Miagi say in Karate kid...

"In Okinawa 'belt' mean no need string to hold pants up."

A couple of my friends recently graded to black level. Unlike the popular myths they haven't suddenly transformed into Ninja assasins and I happily continue to train with them regularly. Sure they're better at some stuff but then I have them in a few areas too.

That being said I do not want to detract from their achievement and think they should be proud of themselves. But as they say the BB marks the end of the beginning not the end in itself!

Oh and if you're reading guys get back to the bloody gym you lazy swine!

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

That I can block any attack..... had the old surprise attack before

"Why didn't you block that if your a black belt?"

"Same reason you didn't see this!!!! THWACK!"

5. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Where I am training all those myths you hear about black belts are understatements.

Was watching one helping a junior with his training and spent half an hour leaping about, hitting things jumping onto over and spinning around benches and only bearly broke a sweat.
    His casual - you can kick from here like this and this - made some bags fly up against thier supports and he nearly broke our big bag. This bag is about 7 foot tall and is so hard and heavy I nearly break ankles and hands on it. He side thrust kicked it and it bent in the middle and swung out - it scared me.

All those black belt myths apply to anyone below brown belt at my dojo - the three day grading ensures it any higher up.

But as many of them have told me a baseball bat to the back of the head would kill anyone.

Although having a black belt doesn't mean you will be a good instructor, this is probably the only myth that holds true.

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Myth: Hands are lethal weapons
    Reality: No there still just hands

Myth: Nobody can hurt you
    Reality: Anybody can hurt you

Myth: You can easily win a street fight
    Reality: Your chances of winning are better

Myth: You know how to fight
    Reality: You know the theory of how to fight

Myth: You’re a martial arts expert
    Reality: You know a bit about one style

:p

7. STASH

STASH New Member

Good post pgm316, couldnt have said it better.

8. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Sorry I know I was going to post sooner, but I got tied up with some things.

The myths everyone has put forth are simply that . . . myths, but how were they created. They could not of come out of nowhere.

Here's what I think, at least in North America. When people started bringing the martial arts to North America they elevated themselves to such a high level as to sell themselves. Could be because of ego, could be because they saw a market and wanted to exploit it. I think this is where the false idea of "one hit one kill" came about.

To me a black belt is someone who has learned the basics and is competent at them. They have a basic understanding, and physically can perform the techniques adequate enough.

They "myths" that we as martial artists have to deal with were created to elevate early practicioners to a god-like status. Which we know are false. There are definatly people out there who are very good at what they do, but the myths pertaining to what it is, in my mind, are so unbelievable that the general public has many misconceptions about the martial arts.

The misconceptions are huge from how people train, to the "mystery and magic" behind the arts. This misconceptions were widely accepted during they 80's and 90's but I think with more information being readily available, these misconceptions seem to having less and less truth to them.

I believe that part of our job as martial artists is the honest promotion of what we do. With this in mind, I don't think the promotion should be a "Hey look at what I do and this is the truth" I think that it is much more subtle than that. Train hard, live right, and if anyone asks, tell them the truth. Trying to elevate oneself to a higher level is false and in the end it's damaging to only one person (you can guess who that is)

Comments anyone?

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I think a majority of myths come from the enchantment the average person feels when they see the often unrealistic fancy stunts performed in the movies.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

That a BB can perform jumping backflips!

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Oh yes they can :D but not necessarry a black belt :D

|Cain|

12. darlph

darlph New Member

If a Black Belt could do a back flip that would mean I would have no belt . I get a kick out it when someone askes me what belt when they find out I am an instructor or study the art. All of a sudden they think "bad ass". No idea that to earn that belt is more of a matter of mind and a conditioning of the body thru hours of training and determination. I think they forget what they see in the movies is, well, stunts. I wish I could spin 3 times in the air, bounce off a wall and then... you get the picture. Ladyhawke, I agree with you. Wanna go bounce off walls sometime and beat up 5 bad guys? :) ha ha

13. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Have ya ever noticed that most of the really awesome stunts
    are usually done in low light situations making it more difficult
    to actually see the technique supposedly being used.

....and I'm sure you guys have noticed that whenever a half naked woman is being pursued by the bad guy while leaping
    over furniture and making a feeble attempt to fight back, her
    breasts never bounce with her movements. That is complete
    lack of realism.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its terrible, they should bounce I think!

15. Chlo

Chlo New Member

Perhaps they should bounce and knock the bad guy out...LOL

16. darlph

darlph New Member

am so glad that someone is paying attention! I still can't get over the girl finding the lock on her car solder shut and she stands there. Black Belt or not, I would run like.... instead of waiting around. And still her chest is immobile.
    Now why do they believe all that hoopla crap in the movies and not believe in haunted houses or E.T.'s? Funny isn't it?
    Perhaps until they actually participate in the martial arts with a good instructor instead of a charlatan they may find the true meaning of what it takes to earn and realize the Black Belt Dream.

17. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I think many quickly lose their enchantment when they enter the "real" martial arts world and they are faced with the reality that honest martial art skills and knowledge is only gained thru dedicated hard work, perseverance, positive attitude and
    a generous amount of blood, sweat and tears.

18. khafra

khafra New Member

I couldn't say much about black belt myths, but I think there definitely needs to be more attention paid to realistic breast physics in today's cinematography. In fact, somebody should create a documentary on the subject, it'd probably increase Discovery Channel viewership by several hundred percent.

19. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

It really wouldn't matter if she stood there or not because in the movies if the girl runs from
    her attacker, he will be in hot pursuit, she will of course twist her asnkle and fall, then she
    will struggle with her attacker while she screams, cries and flops around on the ground like
    a fish outta water. Naturally her top will be torn in the struggle to reveal a bit flesh and if
    she happens to be rescued by the hero in the movie and walk away with him, her clothes
    won't appear to be dirty from rolling around on the ground.

20. darlph

darlph New Member

Don't forget, her hair won't be mussed.
    Ladyhawke, maybe when they find out how hard it really is they have to add the mysticism to explain why they couldn't do it?
    I still want to try 3 backflips and a few wall bounces. Maybe in my next life:)