Black Belt Club

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Jukai, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Jukai

Jukai New Member

The Kenpo Studio that I attend offers membership to the Black Belt Club after one year of membership along with certain guidelines. For anyone else who has optional membership to the BBC, I was wondering if you have to write a letter explaining why you want to become a black belt? I wouldn't know where to start.

What does becoming a black belt in Kenpo mean to you?

Cyndi

2. tellner

tellner Valued Member

What's a Black Belt Club? How much does it cost? What are you committing to? What do they give you for your money? Can you reach BB without being in the club?

3. Lame Leopard

Lame Leopard Valued Member

Talk directly to your instructor. There should be an open communication and respect between you. Find out all the information and then make a decision. Kenpo can be a great art to study. An instructor wants a student who is dedicated, loyal, and convinced he chose the right style, school, and instructor. If that loyalty and respect goes both ways, you will both have a fantastic experience. Also remember that he is in business, and trying to make a buck as well teaching for the intrinsic rewards he gets out of it. If you like the club, join it to support his effort to instruct and help pay the bills. :)

4. Jukai

Jukai New Member

The black belt club is for the more serious students. Of course we can get to black belt without being in the club. It's a financial committment more or less, that the member will continue their studies at that particular art/school until they earn their black belt. Although it is a financial committment, it costs less monthly then regular membership. (Example: Instead of paying $135/month for one year at a time, it might be $100/month for 4-5 years-until black belt is achieved)

I don't have to decide if that's what I want to do anytime soon. I have another 10 months before I even become eligable. I hate to plan that far in advance to be truthful, because Life throws obstacles kind of randomly and I'd hate to have to break a committment like that.

Even though people in the BBC get to wear different colored gis, have a less monthly payment, and get discounts, that's not really why I'm interested. I want to be around other people who are dedicated to MA. People who can be a positive influence in my life. Maybe that sounds stupid, but I am trying to make my life seem less empty...so-to-speak.

Earning a first degree black belt means that I've put a lot of effort into MA, that I'm willing to do my best, and that I really want to learn Kenpo. Anyone can learn the basics of an MA, but to stick with it takes passion.

Cyndi

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

You are correct in that earning your 1st degree black belt means plenty of time, effort, and let's not forget money. It also means that once you've earned your 1st degree, you have just mastered your basics. Now comes the real learning and that is where having a strong passion for the martial arts will pay off in the long run :)

6. Jukai

Jukai New Member

Pacific--why do you practice MA?

I took Kenpo as kid and quit when I was 11. Three years and I was bored--typical kid. I regretted leaving Kenpo by the time I was 13. There's just something about it. I've been drawn to MAs my whole life. It's weird--but when I think about practicing MA, I think about peace, like an inner-calmness...really knowing oneself, inside and out. It's very beautiful to see a martial artist who knows what they are doing. It's tranquile almost, even though the movements may be fast and have a lot of snaps and twists...it's hard to describe.

Cyndi

7. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Why do i practice martial arts? I think I had many different reasons starting from the first day I started to now. Like my training, my reasons have evolved. At first it was about being hooked on the Bruce Lee movies and wanting to learn to fight. Of course early on in my training, I've hit pit falls along the way like quitting, not because I was bored, but because I thought I knew all of what I had learned. Only after some time did I realize that was a big mistake. So as I matured and got back to training, I took a much different approach to my training, not only looking at the physical part, but the mental and spritual part as well. The more I trained, the more I began to integrate what I have learned into many aspects of my normal life. Although I wasn't too aware of this integration, I soon realized it when I had a period on non-training due to a relocation and start of a new job. I just had a feeling of something that was no longer part of my daily routine. Luckily I realized that it was my lack of training, and even though at the time I could not get back to my Kenpo roots, I found Shotokan to fill that void. Now it has been some time since I've returned back to my Kenpo roots, and I find that my everyday life has its balance back. This is probably the biggest reason why I study martial arts ;) :)

8. Jukai

Jukai New Member

I like your answer. Very insightful. If the reasons never change or evolve, then we aren't learning from our experiences. I understand about the balance. I am still working on finding that balance for myself. Time should do the trick--if I use it wisely. Thanks for your reply, it put a smile on my face. :)

Cyndi

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

We don’t have any black belt clubs so my experience in this regard is not relevant to this discussion. We also don’t teach for a living, Shorinji Kempo is strictly a not for profit activity. We do have essays though. The very first grading in Shorinji Kempo requires a couple of essays, one of which is why did you start Shorinji Kempo. Interestingly this is also the subject of one of shodan essays. It could be a good time to review your earlier essay and see just how much has changed since then. I would expect that you would have a much deeper understanding of yourself and you may have found some priority shifts from your original thoughts. Whenever this essay is done it can provide you with an opportunity to examine your motives and gain some additional knowledge of yourself and what you desire.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

good luck getting your money back if yu ever decide to move or go to another club for whatever reason in that 5 years.

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Yeh, I agree 100% with Ikken. Contracts are rarely a good idea. You could move, you could get sick, you might get a woman that demands 24hrs of your time. For whatever reason, you wouldnt of wanted to waste all that money would you?

Stick with your original plan I think. Sure it might cost abit more, but at least you have the security of leaving whenever you want.

12. Jukai

Jukai New Member

It's in the contract that if you move, get seriously ill/injured, or some sort of disaster happens, that you will no longer be obligated to attend and pay the school. At least it is in the yearly contracts.... :) I most likely wouldn't sign up for Black Belt Club. Too many things are up in the air right now. I'm applying to a few universities for the Fall semester--so if I move or just don't have the time, I won't have to worry about it. The club thing was just a thought, but more then anything I wanted to see some responses about what it means to get a black belt or why you'd want it etc.

Good replies from everyone, definately things to consider before signing anything. :D

Cyndi

13. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

Black Belt club ... pfffft ... lol

Work hard ... EARN your BB .. that's enough club you need !!!

Eric

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Our schools use a BBC. You pay a one-time fee that equals about 20 months at the monthly rate. You get private lessons for free, and can come to all classes at the school. You get all the training you can take until you reach your black belt wioth no monthly payment. Considering it takes 4 years or so to get the BB, it's less than half price of the monthly payment.

15. NaughtyKnight

Aii, but if for some reason you have to move, get sick etc, can you get your money back?

I doubt it. Thats the problem with paying all at once. You never know what may happen 10months down the track.

16. Jukai

Jukai New Member

It's not a one-time payment. It's monthly payments, but with the BBC you are getting into a contract where you will be paying monthly for 'x' amount of months/years until BB is achieved. It's a committment and a price break. So if someone got sick, injured, or moved-there's no money to get back, you simply get out of the contract and have no more monthly payments.

Cyndi

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Our plan is all at once, or at least in a very short period, like over 6 months. And no, you don't get your money back, you are correct it is the biggest risk to the program. However many people feel that it is worth it to get a BB for about half the price, and with more instruction per week. We have a master's club program where you pay one time fee and get training for life at any of our shcools. We only allow 5 of those at any time, about every 18 months or so there is an opening as somebody quits or whatever, but it never lasts long. It just depends, everybody is in a different place and have more stability and more money thatn other people and so what might seem crazy to one person, another sees as a good deal.

18. NaughtyKnight

Thats pretty decent enough then.