BJJAGB National Competition

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hext, Jan 16, 2013.

1. hext

hext Valued Member

thanks again Oneman,

I'll probably try out a few of the local type ones for now and we'll see about travelling to africa - not that I need another excuse for wanting to visit such an amazing country..

I've contacted the wakarishin guys too..now I'm hunting youtube for footage ;)

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

is the southend comp for BJJA members only? or is it an open one?

also @Oneman - you said you are with the BJJA but follow the jikishin syllabus, could you expand on that? Jikishin is no longer part of the BJJA and since our syllabus has changed slightly for the first 3 Kyu grades.

3. hext

hext Valued Member

I've emailed Wakarishin to find out..will let you know

Also, our syllabus is more than slightly different to BJJA anyhow

4. Kuniku

I shall speak to my Sensei as well, he's mentioned the name of Sensei Ian Arbon before, but can't remember for the life of me in what context - I think it might just have been when I asked why my sensei didn't have a club in Chelmsford, I think he said something along the lines of Sensei Ian Arbon has clubs there, it would be rude to step on his toes...

do you have any links to your current syllabus?

5. hext

hext Valued Member

6. Kuniku

Cheers for the link Hext!

tbh its definitely not the same as the current Jikishin Syllabus, for starters we don't have a red belt (well we do but its for judan not hachikyu [hakkyu?])

I'm not 100% sure its been updated to the latest Jikishin Syllabus but here is a link to ours

I'm definitely going to download yours to help me in my background project of translating our syllabus to Japanese ;D

7. hext

hext Valued Member

Yep, our senseis (plural) are trying to develop the japanese although it's proving "challenging"

8. Kuniku

Thats the one thing I'd have liked to be in our clubs is the Japanese side of it, especially now I'm attending a Japanese class. Some of the Japanese names for techniques are quite 'abstract' compared to our names for them =p

(if you've not seen in the stickies in the Jujitsu forum there is a big translation thread I've found useful in the past)

9. hext

hext Valued Member

also, I just got this from wakarishin-jujitsu

"The details of the Southend competition are not published yet. They will be on the news section of the web site when they are available. They only thing I can tell you is the date of 18th May."

10. Kuniku

fair enough =)
    let us know if you get any more info on it =)

11. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

The BJJA GB Nationals - Freefighting involves the following:

1 minute - Light continuous contact kickboxing (1 point for each shot landed to the body or head)

A buzzer goes and contestants can then grip up

45 seconds - Standing grappling (3 points for a drag down and 5 for a clean throw)

Opponents hit the floor or a buzzer goes after 45 seconds

1 minute - Ground grappling - (3 points for a submission or a 10 second hold down clear of the legs)

Armlocks, chokes, strangles, straight ankle locks and straight leg locks are all allowed.

12. Kuniku

Yeh I thought it was something like that, I must say I really dislike that as a format, Jikishin is talking about bringing their stand up and ground competitions into one competition rather than the 2 separate competitions they are now, and I really, REALLY hope they don't use that kinda system - would much prefer a semi contact amateur MMA rule set tbh

13. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

The problem with semi contact MMA is that striking becomes worthless. As a competitive judo dan grade and BJJer I could just run through my opponents (without fear of being hurt by strikes) grab them and smash them. To be fair to the BJJA when they forced everyone to spar for the first 60 seconds it made people become a bit more balanced and learn some striking.

In my personal opinion if you are going to do MMA then the strikes should be full contact. Then one just decides if head shots are allowed or not (amateur/semi pro etc).

14. Kuniku

I agree that strikes become worthless, but with a proper scoring system in place you know you can't just eat a load of strikes without blocking or counter striking, even if you do just want to take it to the ground.

This is why I didn't spar in the jikishin stand up last year, strikes aren't scored properly, and my striking is better than my throwing, but because I can't kick hard, and because my kicks aren't scored properly - my opponent can just walk through my kicks and use their usually superior size and strength to put me on the floor >__<

(This year should be different as ill have dropped a weight class and should be the biggest of the middle-light heavies rather than giving away sometimes 30kg as the lightest heavyweight...)

I've fought a few times with the forced stages rule set you linked, and utterly hated it, I've not spoken to anyone who likes it, senseis have said its a good way of making sure all 3 elements are included, but even they agree you lose all flow between phases

15. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Why not compete in http://www.mmaleague.tv/ if you hate these rules? Full contact to the body only is a pretty safe rule-set, you very rarely see anyone stopped on strikes at those things. Just having "ju jitsu" in the competition's name needn't add any particular value for you?

16. Kuniku

I am planning on going into amateur MMA after my shodan at least for a couple of fights to say I've done it sort of thing, but that won't stop me competing in my jujitsu organisations competitions - I'm just saying I hope they don't go to the rule set that Bomber linked.