BJJ vs football

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by wildloosecomma, Jun 23, 2007.

1. wildloosecomma

wildloosecomma New Member

So today I grappled this enormous football player dude called Conan (it was his first day at the bjj gym and yeah I thought it was funny at the moment) and basically at the end even with the 50 pound weight ( me 6'1 150 pounds him 5'11 200+) difference I caught him in an arm bar. The only thing is I feel kinda bad cuz ive been doing BJJ for about 8 months(ive been taking no gi bjj at a krav gym but unfortunately they only teach it twice a week) and it took me almost 3-4 minutes of him writhing around in my guard to tap him out. I also feel half dead right now, am I behind where I should be at this point?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Yes. If someone has no knowledge of BJJ it shouldn't take anything to break them down in guard and submit them.

3. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

No, sometimes the only way you can get someone with a major weight and strength advantage is to wait until they play themselves out.

4. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Sorry to be off topic, just a quick question: how do you find the combo of krav maga and BJJ? Which do you find more practical?

5. wildloosecomma

wildloosecomma New Member

Well while Krav Maga has some interesting techniques (mind you ive only been at this gym for about 8 months and while I started off strong later on I stuck to mostly bjj and boxing), Krav Maga focuses more on mentality then actual technical striking. It is useful in the fact that they mention possibilities not mentioned in more sports based striking styles (eye gouges, etc), but at the same time the actual kickboxing skill is somewhat low. At the same time though many krav maga gyms(including mine )offer not only krav classes but also boxing, kickboxing/muay thai, and bjj classes, as well as free fight classes, so there are some pretty well rounded fighters at my gym. In other words krav classes do not force you to spar therefore krav technique ive found is only very useful if one takes advantage of all the fighting classes they offer.

Personally ive used bjj to full contact fight my friend who takes muay thai and I have won, but I have never really had to use krav techniques. Krav techniques are very dirty and are not really intended for nhb fights, as they encourage eye gouging, stomping downed opponents, fish hooking, biting, head butting, and emphasize NOT going to the floor(hence even their bjj classes do NOT teach takedowns, merely takedown defenses). If you go to a krav gym they will tell you that while bjj is very useful if you get taken to the floor, it is not advisable (other people, concrete etc), and because of this they refuse to teach very many takedowns.

I personally have a great interest in grappling so I am going to transfer to a rickson gracie jujitsu place, and then after than to Eddie Bravo's gym in hollywood, but if the above is appealing then you should start looking into krav maga.

6. alister

alister Huh?

Gotta disagree.

Don't sweat it. 8 months is no time in BJJ. The trick with BJJ is to work with what your opponent gives you. Stay cool and wait for your opportunity.

If you go in trying to force your game, that may work on someone with no training, but sets up bad habits - if you then come up against someone who knows what they're doing and you force it, you'll just end up in knots.

Just take heart in that after only 8 months you can work good technique over someone bigger. It doesn't mean anything more than that - if you get too hung up on it, then your ego is gonna take a bashing and that's no good.

Keep training and stay focussed on your movement and technique. Focus less on tapping and being tapped - often the only way to learn is to lose. If you stay fixated on winning all the time, you'll just be missing all the other lessons because your mind isn't open to feeling the spaces, movement, base posture etc that your opponent gives you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  7. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Really important point. If a person treats sparring in class with their training partners as "winning" or "losing", they are going to stagnate.

That's because on the one hand, if they are "losing", as their goal is to "win", they'll probably lose motivation and get frustrated, or alternately may start aiming to simply "not tap" and end up clinging on in closed guard doing nothing.

On the other hand, when they're "winning", if that's their main goal they'll likely use the same techniques over and over, aim to use force in order to get the tap, and possibly even gravitate towards those people they know they can "beat", so as not to upset an imaginary "record".

What they should be doing instead is approach each spar as a learning process, or as Garbanzo Bean/Cassius over on Bullshido described it, a laboratory. Its a place to test out and improve technique, without worrying about getting tapped/swept or whatever. If they do something wrong, then that becomes a positive experience if they ask their partner (or even better, the instructor or a higher belt) exactly what they did wrong, and how to correct it.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

First of all, reread alister slidey's posts. Then print and save them. GREAT advice. I live by it and I'm lucky enough to have a school where 99% of the students do as well.

As to the OP. You're giving up 50 pounds and have only been training for 8 months. Don't worry about where anyone else is, worry about how much progress you've made, especially against bigger guys. 50 pounds is a significant weight difference, so what if you have to work to get a sub? At the very least it helps gauge your endurance! Seriously, don't sweat it. I've learned the hard way over the years that constantly comparing myself to everyone else gets me a frustration migrane. Sometimes it's the little things that'll make all the difference.

9. alister

alister Huh?

And everything you ever need to know is right there! I assume you live in LA, in which case you are one lucky guy! Stick with Rickson's style and you'll come to understand jiu jitsu as it's meant to be.

Aw..schucks :)

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

NP... I think too many people tend to look at the sports side and go all out every time they roll, forgetting that you gotta learn somewhere. Anyone with any talent will tell you they learn as much from losing as they do from winning. ;)