BJJ specific conditioning aims

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I was thinking about this today, on top of general life SandC goals, (I. E. Keep looking like a lessor viking God/ keep up with children on smarties without a afternoon nap) what a would be good BJJ specific goals to have?

I was thinking
    A) ability to work/ roll flat out for one round,
    B) heart rate recovery from max effort to baseline as quickly as possible.
    C) the ability to lift/hold bodyweight for extended times.
    D) ability to roll for an hour at various paces without needing a break. To maximise limited bjj training time.

So to address this I was going to include in my gym work
    A) and D) sprinting / interval / HIIT work - to increase my anaerobic threshold.
    B) and D) some longer cardiovascular work to increase baseline
    C) and d) keep on lifting but more systematically. Plus hand strength work.

Am I missing anything major here?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Mangosteen and Knee Rider like this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Depending on what sort of lifting you are doing I think muscular endurance work would be useful.

I swear by Gotch's Bible using pressups, Hindu pressups and Hindu squats for building strength endurance and energy systems. I noticed that when I first started BJJ my heavy lifting wasn't helping my rolling at all and switched to doing the above. It really increased my output and I got in the best shape I'd ever been. The direct grappling crossover was insane.

Giovanni and Dead_pool like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Gi wise isometric endurance is very important as well, static holds on deadlifts for example, grip strength and grip endurance is also important as is pulling strength, the Gracie's were and are renowned for their chin up strength.

Conditioning wise increasing power output at threshold is also important best done using the threshold method, working for 4 or 5 mins rounds within 5 beats plus or minus your anaerobic threshold for rounds. Start of with 3 3 min rounds and work upto 5 x 5 rounds does wonders for specific rolling conditioning. Finding your threshold without a gas test is not easy but there are a few simple tests you can do to find your range

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Excellent, I'll have a look and start implementing it as soon as I can, in the meantime I'll revisit gotch's workout!

Knee Rider likes this.
  5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

this is key for when you have little ones. i just can't make it to the gym as much as i'd like anymore. i have 3 boys now, and now they each have their own sports their into. so i end up training for long periods of time, but only once or twice a week.

like this past saturday, me and two other guys did 3-minute rounds, rotating in a guy with every round, with 30-second rest in between each round. it meant that someone did two rounds in a row. and the goal was to do 10 rounds each. basically took about an hour to do, and i got 30 minutes of actual roll time in.

to get ready for these times, or being able to hit open gym for 3 hours, i just do a lot of kb's and body-weight calisthenics at home, and solo movement drills. jump rope also helps with the wind.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i really hate how we can't edit posts anymore, because i see grammatical errors.

Dead_pool likes this.