BJJ slamming vs wrestling slamming

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

There is nothing attribute based about falling on someone stupid enough to jump on you and wrap their legs around you.

2. Combat Sports

I think what's sad is the suggestion that BJJ players should simply use dangerous and stupid techniques and that people who they are using them on get in trouble when the knucklehead who put themselves in that position gets hurt.

3. Combat Sports

That is of course if you are not asleep because you fell on your head trying to jump guard on someone.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Get your daughter to do it to you and then ill agree.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I just think its kinda funny how JJ guys talk a really tough game in general, not that Im suggesting Jujitsu is weak Im just saying that its very sport oriented.

6. Combat Sports

And that's a silly comparison. No competition lets 9 year olds compete with 38 year olds.

If my daughter was to face a girl her size and that girl tried to jump guard on my daughter, she could absolutely fall on that person for doing so with very little effort.

7. Dead_pool

I dont use closed guard vs standing but I do drill it plus counters because there's always a meathead who will try a slam from closed guard kneeling.

Hooking a leg, dropping to openguard or the old falling flower sweep all work well.

As does torturing the meathead afterwards so much they dont come back again.

8. Dead_pool

So the attribute of strength would be in place there.

9. Dead_pool

So remind me again how your 3 year blackbelt is better for the street because you do simulated slams, which is also called putting someone down lightly.

10. bodyshot

You mad bro? I would sugest cooling off a little, its pretty stupid to take this personally ok. :hat::
    Dont overreact to comment posted on a thread, leave the mans daughter out of it bro...That wasnt so cool.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I agree here.
    Newbies certainly need to learn the rules (I probably will still need to learn some myself ^^), and if slamming is against the rules in the first place I totally agree, that they need to learn the ruleset.

I don't think they need to learn it by a more experience partner ignoring their tapping though.
    But I'm more or less sure, that you would agree there.
    (I at least hope your example of ignoring a tap out wasn't aimed at newcomers or people who just don't know better ^^)

Fair enough, thanks!

I agree; goes for every action though, in my opinion.

I still don't think, that you want to intentionally injure someone when slamming them, but since it's against the rules anyway it doesn't matter so much right now.

12. bodyshot

Right and thats all Im saying, in most Ju Jitsu matches its illegal, only a meat head ******* would slam his opponet in a JJ or Bjj match.

Then theres wrestleing which uses controlled slams, the general rule is that you have to go down with him, and martial arts systems like my own that use/train a few slams. Those systems are in my opnion less sport oriented in my opnion.

Props to all styles, keep on keeping on, oh btw I have a broken leg, it hurts really bad today. I also have a fractured vertebrae, it hurts really bad.

13. Dead_pool

It was an example of attributes not ' a diss'.

If I ever start dissing 9 year olds online, ill definatly have to give up MAP.

14. Combat Sports

Barely if at all. Your comparison was over the top.

15. bodyshot

I mean personally I make fun of nine year olds all the time, but it seemed like a very professional come back after you dissd my M.A. lols I kope it worked. I dont care though, you can diss me, Ive been on Map like a year now so I know you are all good guys just playin. Also your a Jujitsu player with macho issues and your mad you dont have the BB and wont get it any time soon...Man that horrible.:bang: thats you waiting for BB lols.

16. Dead_pool

Lol actually I have two already and im working on my third (judo) at the moment, although im resigned to being an old old man when i finally get to be a BJJ blackbelt.

Which brings me to my next question

Is having a gameplan focusing on low risk throws and a lot of BJJ in transition good for getting a judo blackbelt.

If my focus is getting the blackbelt I think it is, if my focus is having blackbelt throws I think its a mistake, what do you guys think?

17. bodyshot

Well Id be a fool if I said that I didnt like Judo or Jujitsu, Im all for both actually. How can Judo affect your Jujitsu in a bad way, I dont see that it can.

As far as haveing a game plan, theres nothing wrong with that at all, again it just shows being prepaired in my opnion. I mean I have a game plan too, we all should really.

One of my best game plans is in fact against snotty nine year olds, my basic philosophy behind it is this, if a nine year old hates you give that person a reason.

18. Dead_pool

To explain further, I'm training judo for the throws and the transitions, to get your shodan you have to compete and win a certain amount of contests.

In groundwork I'm better then the "average" brownbelt, and thats sticking to judo rules and timeframes.

But if I rely on that to get me wins I wont be getting better at throws whilst im doing it.

Therefore whilst ill have my shiny belt (ideal world here) I wont of been focusing on my initial aim.

In reality I'm likily to stick to low risk high reward throws that have good transitions from failed attempts.

And cary on working the big throws in the dojo.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Right, I've just given you guys two different options to defending guard pulls. Grab the leg and stop it, or push down on the hips. Both will award you points and will give you the advantage of already opening their guard. Yet you still complain that you want to just slam them instead.

Pulling guard is perfectly valid technique. It's up to you to defend it.

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

defending against a slam isnt actually that hard because lifting an opponent is a pretty slow thing.

slamming from a guard pull is another matter and the guard jump isnt something i like but it isnt the end of the world either - its just for people who want to get straight to the main part of the game without all the intro of having to take or be taken down (its purely a comp thing and its good competitive strategy).

doesnt mean a BJJ guy will pull guard in other scenarios.