BJJ slamming vs wrestling slamming

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Meh. If you're resorting to slamming in the guard, or even wanting too, then yeah, I assume you're a white belt, or a douche.

The "slams" that you guys posted about wrestling I think are totally fine btw, other than that kid who got power bombed. It's different/dangerous to slam them straight backwards. In wrestling you're always "cutting the corner" and bascially moving straight to side control because there is no guard. In BJJ, slamming makes them go straight back, the aim being to hit their head off the mat, or headbutt them "by accident".

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's no submissions in kids judo either, and in bjj is heavily geared towards positional training, catch being more about submission over position it would make it really really hard to do safely.

And tbh the kids would get more out of straight wresling (any style) and straight BJJ (gi or nogi)

3. Dead_pool

The slamming viewpoint revels a lack of understanding in how why and when guard opening works and a disturbing lack of understanding of care for your training partner, and to much emphasis on 'winning rolls vs gaining skills'

Which means either inexperienced or not very bright, and I dont think anyone here has a low iq so im gonna go with inexperienced.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If that the case Iowa wouldn't have won so many titles with the blast double which drives straight back and bounces there head of the mat....

5. Pretty In Pink

I meant picking someone up and slamming them forward ^^

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You said you are always turning the corner and ending up in side control, this isn't the case

7. Pretty In Pink

Yes, and that was an attempt to correct myself. You never pick someone up and slam them forward. If I'm wrong please provide examples. :)

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Sorry I completely lost what you were attempting to say Chadderz. You first said that wrestlers only sneak into side control whereas slams in BJJ might involve bouncing the head off the mat or causing a head butt. Icefield said that the same effect of having the head bounce off the mat occurs with a blast double. Fine Now you are talking about never picking someone up and slamming them forward. Just want to understand what you are saying.

Thinking about it I'm not sure that is possible.. closest I can think of would be tripping someone from a standing single leg position and having them dive onto their stomach. Can you think of any time in any grappling art where people do a forward slam (if there is such a thing)? The purpose in wrestling is to put someone on their back (other than say sub-wrestling/?catch) so it is counter-intuitive to throw them on their stomach if you have them up in the air. Can't remember seeing a forward slam type movement in judo either.

Would love to hear what you really mean please.

LFD

9. Pretty In Pink

Sorry man, haha!

Right, I meant that in wrestling, when you pick someone up and they are on your shoulder you don't go straight forward and slam down. Normally you go to the same side as the shoulder. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I can't recall anyone slamming straight forward. A power double is just attacking someone's hips and forcing them backwards without picking them up.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Normally you change the angle on a double and go to the side because they sprawl their hips back and you need to adjust, if they dont you go right through them, this is what got wrestlers in trouble in early mma they drove straight back and ended up choked out so they started going to the side lol
    A power double as I was taught it goes up and through your opponent and you end up a good 6feet past where they are standing, you aim to carry them so far that we sometimes missed the crash mats as we went right over them

11. Dead_pool

And why again are you using crash mats?

12. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Blast double:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIx9phnIQSQ"]Blast Double Granby - YouTube[/ame]

I assume people use crash mats because there are only so many times you can get thrown before you start to affect your ability to train on the next day. I have used crash mats to train takedowns like the high-crotch, it doesn't mean the takedown is too deadly to train without a normal mat, just that the rigours of repeatedly training a move put different stresses on your body than what you have to worry about in a match.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Because they were out from the suplex training we were doing and the coach decided in for a penny in for a pound

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The viewpoint isn't "you should guard slam your partners in training", it's "clinging to a standing opponent is a suicidal habit that BJJ rules should not encourage". And you can take half Victor Estima's medals back if you're going to assert that it's soooo easy to open the guard and pass once you're upright that the entire point is moot. Jumping closed guard also causes lots of injuries to the knees of people receiving the technique and gives an out from the standup game that discourages getting your hips close enough to throw properly. Since landing from a guard 'slam' that results from you jumping on your opponent can be at least as bad a landing as from a hard throw, the logical thing is to reward two points to the opponent, at which point the technique would entirely dissapear from competition without anyone getting hurt over it.

15. PointyShinyBurn

Here is me getting safely laid into side control in a wrestling competition, by the way, since that's the only kind of takedown that exists in that sport: http://youtu.be/JKDzPTc67FI

16. Pretty In Pink

Landing sideways is different to getting thrown straight back.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That is what they do

18. PointyShinyBurn

No, it isn't, unless you have a grip on their leg before they begin the motion of the guard pull.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So long as you grab the leg before you hit the floor its 2 points

The rules a bit vague, but how I describe it is how I've always seen it scored.

20. Dead_pool

If you want to wrestle, wrestle, if you want to do bjj do bjj, if you want to get good do both.

Really in competition most people dont jump guard, its just one of those things in competition thats the arts own idiosyncrasies.