BJJ: Rediculous Question

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by TheMightyMcClaw, Aug 4, 2006.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Something has been bothering me for a while.

Is it legal to tickle your opponent in BJJ? What about other forms of competitive grappling?

2. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

Not that I've ever done BJJ, but I'm pretty sure tickling wouldn't work too well in a real fight.

3. heim

heim Valued Member

if someone attempted tickling me if i did BJJ, i'm sure you'd just try making your grip tighter on him to make them regret it :p

4. gornex

gornex Valued Member

I think when you get going at it and some adrenaline kicks in and you are concentrating and stuff you wouldn't be very ticklish.

5. s7il7s

s7il7s New Member

It could probably be classed loosely at either fish hooking/whatever they call intentional placing of the fingers in fleshy areas not in the mouth, or as a pressure point if those are illegal in the organisation of question. I think you might come off as bent or just weird if you tried it though.

6. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

When adrenaline is rushing through you, the guy is going to be too buzy breaking your arm then focusing on being tickled.

7. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

BJJ: Ridiculous spelling ;-)

I don't think there's anything specific in the rules that prevents tickling. Unless, of course, you start tickling the groin area :eek:

It would be pretty ineffective anyway, probably wouldn't even be much of a diversion, and it'd just make your opponent more likely to butt rape you...metaphorically speaking of course.

Is there any reason that it's bothering you?

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I dunno if it's legal or not, but while rolling a classmate of mine did that to me, it was actually kind of funny and quite distracting for a second or two.

9. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Definitely not a good idea in a real fight... but in a match it might have potential. You'd have to know in advance that your opponent was very ticklish, in which case it might give you a spare second or two to get him where you want him, pass guard, etc. I seriously doubt there's a rule against it.

Then again, let's just not go there... BJJ looks homoerotic enough as it is. :)

10. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

My roomate did BJJ, and once I started taking it, we rolled every once in awhile. Now this guy is VERY, VERY ticklish, and simply cannot handle it when someone tickles him in the ribs. For someone who is uber-sensitive, it will work wonders. I got in a tight spot, tickled him, and he lost bodily control and started flapping around like a fish out of water.

I've never met anyone as ticklish as him so I'd doubt it really work on most people.

11. s7il7s

s7il7s New Member

Actually, i was training in my mates garage and we were ground fighting, both totally pumped, and he has an ankle lock on and was basically about to make me tap, so i thought i'd try tickling his feet, and he started flailing like a maniac, let go, and crawled off the mat.

12. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Some of us enjoy that =D

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

So would it then be okay to lick your opponent's face? That's always good for shock factor and buys you a few seconds...

14. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

This is pure ********.

No. Not even. SIck.

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

What's so sick about that Sedvan?!

Back to the tickling, someone did do it to me during some groundwork. It was stupid and did nothing to distract me. It also meant that they were not doing something useful with their hands so I got the better of them.

16. CinMike

CinMike Valued Member

Lol at the face lick. I can actually see that happening. There are times in BJJ when the persons head is right next to yours and you could put your tongue in their ear or lick the face. It could cause a good distraction. Not that I would recommend it, the person you licked would get extremely ****ed off most likely. Funny though.

As for tickling, in my 3 months of BJJ so far, never seen it happen, and never heard of it before. I wouldn't try it.

17. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I myself am EXTREMELY ticklish, which is why I ask. I have a sparring partner who loves to rake his knuckles across the ribs (not sure if that's technically tickling or pressure point gouging), and it very difficult to maintain a hold during such.

18. NIKUMAN

NIKUMAN New Member

LOL. Never heard of this. But While training in BJJ, the brazilian guys would joke about and say "do an oil check". Meaning (when you cant get out of a lock or position stick your thumb in the opponents ****) STINKY . This technique will work a 100% and get your opponent off you. SHOCK FACTOR............................................................... UNLESS they enjoy it, then you are in real trouble and should clench your checks as tight as possilbe. LOL

19. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

I always thought those jokes about BJJ guys weren't true, you learn something new everyday :love: :p :love: :p :love: :p :love: :p :love: :p :love:

20. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

Well rounded
    Very strong
    Knockout Power
    Ticklish.................