BJJ reading material and videos for newbs?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Hapuka, May 13, 2015.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Sorry hapuka I can't find that video at all... It basically said walk/stand/sit like a mandrill; except much more articulately and in much greater detail ;)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just ordered Jujuitsu University! Can't wait ;D

3. Knee Rider

That book should be considered a classic text. You won't regret it :)

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its really good, more so the order and the focus of the chapters instead of cool technics that won't work.

there yt channel has chaptor videos on their too

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Now I'm all jealous, though I managed to find myself a poorly scanned copy of 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique' while using my Google fu. It has been helping with learning how to roll with those in my class that chose to wear gi.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  6. Dead_pool

Your gripping the gi when your nogi?

1) you have such an mechanical advantage, anyone good will just smash you instead of letting you work
    2) you should buy a gi
    3) on bottom play spider guard, on top pass bullfighter style, finish with breadcutters, super high percentage for mixed training
    4) you really shouldn't take advantage caus you won't get better.

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I also roll with no-gi people too. I'm a bit poor right now to buy a gi (welfare) but in the future I will invest in one.

8. Knee Rider

This book might be useful at first but you will outgrow it so fast its unreal. I have it. I think the instruction, technique selection and formatting is really really poor. I was ultra disappointed in mine. I'd no use for it in under 6mths absolute max. Not really gonna do you much harm if you got it for free and have nothing else but just posting as a warning to others to steer clear of buying.

9. Pretty In Pink

I have a e book copy of Jujuitsu university but I prefer having a real book to read. :)

10. Pretty In Pink

Pro tip: Judo gi. Essentially the same thing but much cheaper.

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Where did you get the eBook version from (and was it legal)?

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Where did you get it? I could only find hard copies. I'm the opposite of you. I like portability :)

13. Dead_pool

Its not legally available on pdf

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That's what I thought...

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Looks like I will have to use my google fu again.

16. Pretty In Pink

There is no legal version of the pdf. I do not endorse piracy, so I purchased it.... honest.

17. Dead_pool

Buy a month of Bjj university, its worth it.

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Neither do I when I can afford to buy legal copies. But books are a luxery. Normally I purchase ebooks because you don't have to pay for the shipping. Shame its not in digital format.

19. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I've been reading Stephan kestings A Road Map For Bjj. Excellent read, its really easy to understand even for someone that has only been rolling for a month.

20. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

I've got a book by Eddie Bravo that covers the rubber guard and i absolutely love it. i was getting close to being able to pull off the rubber guard just from looking at the pictures and thinking about it in my head like i had just seen my own instructor doing it in front of us. it can really work that way, especially with Eddie Bravo and the way the images were put together in that book just for people who had never even taken bjj before.

there was this position before you get to the full rubber guard called mission control or something and i was maneuvering get a lock on my opponent and lost the to the mount. i could only get one side of my body to be that flexible because i believe in letting the workout be the warm up.

i like his ideas about the half guard and i know i've used some that in my own competitive experience, but then again i used to tackle guys like i was playing rugby when i first went into judo competitions to get an armbar in like five seconds after the match began.

i've got some other books by jean-jaques machado, which are really good. i have another book by renzo and one that is all geared for the mastering the guard and another one by pellagro.

i don't skimp on books. i like 'em, especially when i was training and i couldn't train for some reason, i'd look at the techniques and get ideas and think and imagine myself using the technique.

Yeah, I really like that Eddie Bravo book on the rubber guard.