BJJ Rants / self-pity wallowing

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by flashlock, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

First of all, man the hell up. Second of all, I didn't call you a hypocrite or a quitter, I believe I said you need to grow some nuts, and that you were flakier than a Jamaican Beef patty (mmm that flaky crust...). I still believe that. You hear some guy mouth off about how good what he is teaching is, and you drop it on MAP like it's the new Gospel. And now you come back whining:
    "my instructor is a bully, waaaaaah". You made this guy sound like the messiah on wings when you posted your "BJJ is the best, case closed" thread. You should start thinking for yourself, that way you wouldn't be so heartbroken when you realize that the dude has been feeding you crap.
    If you like BJJ, and you should, it's a great art, excellent for self defense (no one is disputing that), then tell your instructor to go fornicate himself with an iron stick and go train elsewhere. And for the love of God, stop whining.
    Seriously, come the hell on.
    And regarding the BS, are you seriously not taking everyone for a ride?

Edit: I saw that you said there are no clubs not connected to him in melbourne, that's tough, damn tough. Depending on how much you want to learn BJJ, you could just put up with it, I've done that. I would keep looking though, hostile/uncomfortable training environments are terrible.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. kingc699

kingc699 Valued Member

Flashlock,

Have you tried Ben Hall from Carlson Gracie JJ think he is in Prahran or is he connected to your instructor also.

I agree with what the others are saying, I have read what he writes on his own website, after that there is no way I would train there. No wonder you are having problems !!! I dont doubt he may be good, but some people are good at their chosen martial art, but terrible instructors.

3. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Are you implying you yourself have nuts?

4. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Well, I'm sure there are other places in outer Melbourne, but I don't have time after work to take a bunch of trams. One of the reasons I joined the club was it's right in the heart of the CBD.

I admit, initially I really found my instructor's stories and attitude refreshing... now I'm just wondering if he's a jerk. I'm going to have to corner him and tell him some of my concerns.

I'm going to class Monday after 2 weeks off. I'll let you guys know how it goes... if he doesn't break both my arms, my collar bone, and throws me out the 3rd story window.

5. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Scarlet, the post has "self-pity wallowing" in the title... have you ever heard of irony? This was a rant, a whiney cry baby rant and I needed to do it! :)

Fair enough, but you can't say I'm dishonest. Even when it makes me look wavering, I stand by what I believe in at the moment. It changes as my experiences change--doesn't everyone do that (though they don't broadcast it because they don't want to look foolish?)

Yes and no. He's not "some guy mouthing off". He's a brown belt multiple NZ, Aus, and state champion. He has a lot more credit than... you or about anyone else on this forum.

I do think for myself, and that's why now I'm seeing some things that aren't jiving with what this instructor initially claimed. I'm still on the fence because I've been going back and forth about it in my mind, but I will talk to him Monday and set things straight.

I'm certainly not heartbroken by it. I was able to get a couple days off work, recover from this month long flu, and now I'm ready to rock n' roll. I feel very positive now, whatever happens--because as long as I'm active and enjoying martial arts, I'm doing well!

If you don't want to hear a big whiney post, THEN DON'T GO TO ONE ENTITLED "BJJ RANT/ SELF-PITY WALLOWING". It's your problem, I wanted to whine! And you're whining about my whining... :)

What for? I post here to test theories and get advice. No one intelligent here belives I'm a troll. If you can't tell I was being honest in this thread, you can't tell BS from gold, buddy!

Now that's a helpful post above, Scarlet, I knew you had it in you. I don't even like BJJ. I hate grappling. That's why I have been focussing on it! I'm doing it for fitness and so that if I'm on my back, I have some sneaky weapons to turn the tables.

Maybe I can get that elsewhere... but I need an instructor who meshes with me, doesn't make me feel like a failure because I'm a white belt who can't pull of a decent arm bar from guard.

If there was a decent BJJ-only club in the CBD of Melbourne with direct Gracie connections (or similiar big name--Machado bros, Ed rubber guard guy--I'd check it out, believe me.

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

:eek: Shocking ;)

7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Okay boys, back off now.

flashlock has posted a very subjective thread about his feelings etc. We're allowed to change our mind about things you know?

8. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Thanks lil.

I don't really see the big change of mind except my teacher's antics are starting to wear on me, and I feel affecting my training. BJJ is still the best thing I've done, and now I'm starting to see it has problems like every other art, a few I didn't realize. I'm admitting it, and I get attacked more. Just shows what their real agenda is.

Anyway, I'm in a good place now, and a lot of these posts helped--when things aren't goin well in your training after you stood up for it, you have to just keep being honest in my opinion, even if it makes you look weak.

9. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

(BTW, I'm from Grand Rapids, doc97, coming up for Thanksgiving... where is your school? We can roll maybe...)[/QUOTE]

Portage, Southside Dojo........Tuesday is ground training and Thursday is stand up/throws. The guy who teaches us was a national Judo champ for quite a few years, he has trained at the olympic training center. We also offer MMA, aikido, karate, kobudo, and recently JJJ. I'd be more that happy to roll with ya, but take it easy on me...I'm an old man!!!

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Why yes, yes I do have nuts.
    I think you have nuts too, but yours are in your cupboard, next to the can of beans.

1) Yeah, eeeeverybody hurts, and everybody cries, sometimes. But not eeevery body posts it on a martial arts forum. Especially after coming on all strong and whatnot. +Whining+, like fermented grape juice. You don't get to whine! I think people don't broadcast it beacause they want to look foolish, they don't do it because they don't want to look like lil' bitches.

2) You know, it really doesn't matter who he is, the choice is still the same. Suck it up and train there, or decide the guy ticks you off too much and go train elsewhere.

3) I'm not whining about your whining, I'm telling you to man the hell up. Whining would sound like this "waaah, I'm Flashlock, people are being mean to me, waaaah, BJJ is the best, waaaah, I had another epiphany, waaaaah".

4) Lots of whitebelts can't pull decent armbars off from guard. I've done it in drills, but I'm yet to tap someone with it. If you know that you're working hard and that it's not for lack of trying that your armbar is looser than a teenage pop star, then keep working and tell your instructor to cram a submarine up his hoo-hoo. If he's ticking you off too much, find refuge elsewhere.

Yeah, and he who *whines*, gets plastered. You're about to be plastered all over the walls.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Geez, really? There's a reason for the saying "think before you speak"! Maybe you oughta try it some time :rolleyes:

12. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Live and learn, man. Let us know how you've progressed after your break.

And no, it doesn't make you look weak.

13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

"I do think for myself, and that's why now I'm seeing some things that aren't jiving with what this instructor initially claimed. I'm still on the fence because I've been going back and forth about it in my mind, but I will talk to him Monday and set things straight."

That's great and all flash, but after only 4 months of training at a place, unless you have some decent years of experience under your belt you aren't in a position to judge anything on a technical level in your chosen art.

As other people said, stop looking for rationalisations and just man up and train. I ain't saying this to be mean or anything, hell I don't know you from a bar of soap. Do you think all the greats of the various styles got there by switching when things got hard or when they faced adversity? No they are great because the pushed right on through it no matter how much it hurt. You may think Scarlet is being harsh, but he's telling you exactly what you need to hear.

I guess now you also face the harsh reality of the MA world: you need to think before you speak/post. It is common for people that haven't been training long to be very opinionated, I'm sure you have learned to maybe take a bit more of a back seat and listen now rather than talk so much. I'd wager in a few years if you keep training you will look back on your posts and say "GOD what was I thinking???"

14. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Personally, I don't really care what you end up doing. The thing that really irritates me is that you don't ever take the time to actually figure out what you're talking about. You're a sheep, being led around. If I were in sales, you'd be broke. You swallow propaganda and then when reality just starts to set in, you go in a completely new direction, following whatever line is fed you next. And you do it all without ever seeming to spend any time trying to figure out what you really think. You gather information and depend upon everyone else to do the heavy lifting for you, and then at the end go with whatever seems to be the consensus.

Take some time to gather some real experience and then, for a change, form an opinion based upon actual, personal experience rather than secondhand information and sales pitch. Even in this thread, you waffle all over the place. Whenever someone says anything with any amount of sincerity, you're right there agreeing with them without any kind of critical evaluation.

15. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

ok I kinda skimmed through this thread, but I wanted to make a few points clear....

1) BJJ pwns all! It is the bestest style ever made, and nothing can beat it. End of story

2) Flashlock I so wish you lived in my area. Would love to have a long talk with you followed by 2.5 hrs of sparring and rolling

3) Helio invented gravity

4) I have a bigger dick than all of you

16. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I edited your post :p

17. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

...I'm still bigger

18. hux

hux ya, whatever.

LMFAO - that's awesome :)

If you find yourself regularly beating everybody in your club it's time to find a new club.

As a striker at heart, grappling just doesn't make sense to me. I find it complex and difficult. I am about 6 months into my BJJ career and can only tap out the new guys. I'm sporting a shiner right now from a guy who mounted me and commenced to slugging away at 10% contact - all I could do was cover and flop like a fish :) It ain't tiddlywinks.

On the bright side - there WILL come a day when you catch somebody in something and they tap...and it will get better from there. Just don't give up, and don't think of getting submitted in training as a defeat. It's just a really fast opportunity to stretch something. ;)

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

1) Ok, whatever you say :p

2) KF, do you get to tourneys on the East Coast, let me know, some of my classmates do some in Jersey...

3) Like Al Gore invented the internet... :rolleyes:

4) Show or grow? Then subtract the "internet inches", which is anywhere from 2-5.

oh, and...
    5) We're not taking you seriously and you love it :p

20. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Flash, if you take a break and still hate your instructor just find another school. He's not going to weep over another white belt dropout and they won't care if you came from his school as long as you're paying.

Get on here and ask the nice people for recommendations: http://www.davesbjj.com/forum/index.php3

I have trained under multiple mundial champions and some of them were rubbish teachers. At the end of the day, if his teaching style doesn't fit your learning style you're wasting your life.