BJJ Rants / self-pity wallowing

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by flashlock, Jun 28, 2007.

1. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

UPDATE:

Went to a bookstore Saturday and purchased a BJJ book by Royler and Renzo Gracie. I have done a lot more book-research on other MAs, but haven't delved too much into BJJ itself (especially teaching methods/ culture).

I went to open mat Sunday. Rob, my "controversial" instructor wasn't there, but I asked the other students some direct questions.

I've realized BJJ training and teachers are different than most other MAs. They are not there to hold your hand. They give principles and demonstrate techniques, give you a little advice, but you are on the mat to learn from your own mistakes and successes. With greater freedom means you have to be a bit more self-reliant.

I'm mainly paying for mat time against more experienced MAs, and secondarily demonstration of technique. Lastly, direct instruction (private lessons are available and are relatively cheap).

Regarding my instructor--as I've stated, I don't really know him, but the other students said he really cares about his students. He has never hurt a student. He comes from a very rough background, so some of his writing and class comments are way over the top compared to how he really is--which they tell me is a "softy".

One guy injured his leg. My instructor agreed to continue working with him one-on-one, and sent him encouraging SMS to keep him going.

I'm pretty much over my illness, and I feel a lot more positive about everything again. I'm going to go full-on again. People at my club have been very encouraging as well, re-stating a lot of what people have said on this thread. BJJ takes a lot of time.

Thanks for those who helped me on this thread--it really mattered.

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Yes. But I always ask to be spoonfed anyway :D

Last class, I kept getting yelled at for attempting Gogo's when really I was trying to swivel for an armbar and failing due to position. I asked my instructor to come by and watch and tell me step by step how to do it. He showed me.....but he kicked me in the ribs first for wasting his time ;)

3. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Yeah, that's about right... and that style of teaching isn't for everyone, I understand.

I didn't get it because I didn't see the positive side. You're pretty much thrown to the sharks, and people quit or fight.

I ain't quittin'.

4. KempoFist

Hey that's just your and one of my instructors. He also doesn't act that way towards everyone, just those he knows has the attitude to take that. I've seen him much nicer and dare I say "coddling" towards other students who aren't well...me :)

I also get extra special treatment cause I did Ke?po.

At my school we have 6 Black Belts that alternate between two locations. On top of that we have 2 regular brown belt instructors. So we have a variety of Jits styles and personalities to get to know.

5. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I wrote that near the end of the "BJJ is best system, Case Closed." Told you guys he'd come around. It's all a part of the learning process, especially with BJJ. Everyone's a nutrider when they first start. Everyone. To some extent.

I'm just glad he's reevaluating some of his opinions, and actually came back to talk about them, knowing that he'd get his posts ground up by some of you.

6. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Flashlock,

I just happen to stumble upon this thread, as I was trying to figure you out from another thread. But seriously, (and this is most likely out-dated) just keep going and plugging away. But, I wouldn't mope or cry about not getting it, its unbecoming of a student of the martial arts.

My younger brother does MMA and he seems to enjoy it he has been doing it for 3 years or so. When I go home we say hi with a quick match in the pasture. But, we are old school farm boys and crying wasn't allowed. He never wanted to quit, but he had a cool gym enviroment. Everyone had fun as they trained. I think maybe you might have the problem with the feeling in the Dojo and not the training in general. Or both, or maybe you are just wussing out a bit. I don't really know, but stick with it.

7. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Thanks; I'm not sure myself what caused my dissatisfaction with my training.

Sorry to bore everyone (I guess no one is forcing you to read this thread) but I had my first official class (as opposed to free rolling on Sunday) yesterday. I came an hour early, so I ended up rolling for 2 hours (mixed with instruction).

I walked in, kinda butted into a conversation with my instructor and a blue belt. I asked for advice on elbow escapes. The blue belt helped me, and then my instructor gave me advice.

He finally talked to me for the first time, a real talk, not just shaking his head at me.

He said I worry too much about technique when I need to forget all of it and just fight. He said I need to be drenched in sweat from rolling before the class even begins. He said to just do what he instructs without over thinking everything. He said before I worry about techniques, I need to get down to 75K (I'm 85K 5'8").

I rolled with a blue belt who weighs only 65K--and I submitted him twice. He said the second submission he really was resisting 100%; the first one he was letting me get good positions just so I had a chance to try something.

He said for my "game" that I am very explosive. We were on knees and in an instance I was side-clinching him, then I got to his back--said he didn't see it coming. He said just to work on one thing, and he should me a way to post your forearm out to your side in front of you (sort of a triangular shape). Very simple basics is the key.

Any, I'm going to really focus on elbow escapes and sweeps, and fighting instead of over-analyzing. I'm going to pay more attention to general fitness and diet as well, to cut some weight.

Till the next "crisis"...

8. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Nice one flashy, you're back on the mats, that's what counts :)

9. KempoFist

Hey you.... JJJ girl.... shoo! This forum is for athletes and real martial artists only....get!

10. EternalRage

I just want to clarify, do you mean that was your first official class ever? Like before you were just rolling?

11. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

No, just first official class since I lost my mind two weeks ago and took that time off. (I attended a Sunday free-rolling class last Sunday, but yesterday was first real class back since my waffling.)

12. EternalRage

13. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

All training has its ups and downs, most of it is a result of over thinking or expecting to much out of ourselves to early. Take your time, and slowly make progress, I think that is the key to anything. But, constant practice is really what everyone should be doing... no matter what they do.

14. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Lily is an:

a) athlete - Check
    b) real martial artist - Check
    c) girl who can kick you ass in 20 directions - Check

15. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

ROFL!!

16. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

The best advice I could give you would be to take your time and go slow and just keep training. Eventually it will start to sink in and walla you will be out of the slump. Everyone goes through different phases of burn out just keep going and it will eventually change.

17. KempoFist

awww....so cute...it's like watching a little puppy....so scrappy and energetic, but still no bite....it's ok you'll be dangerous one day ;)

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

agreed. :D

19. KempoFist

a slunt!? I'm not sure what that means, but it don't sound good. Betta watchya back :woo:

20. EternalRage

Girl who can drive your car in 20 directions is nothing special.