BJJ Newbie here

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by robertino, Oct 15, 2017.

1. robertino

robertino New Member

Hello Everyone

I am starting my BJJ classes next week and I am really looking forward to it :)

I am looking to buy a kit for my BJJ classes, not sure what is the best online shop you would recommend, I was browsing Amazon today and found this BJJ t-shirt which in my opinion is quite nice, what is your opinion ? It would be nice if you can advise from where I can get all the kit (BJJ GI, Belt...) I wanted also to mention that I am with a limited budget for now, I can afford only $150
    Your help is much appreciated!
    Thanks!!!

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi

Welcome to MPA and it's great that you're about to start your BJJ journey!!
    Usually you can buy all the kit you need from the academy - often they will want you to wear the "colours" of the club

Best

3. robertino

robertino New Member

Hello Dunc, thank you for your quick reply
    Ah ok, I didn't know about this detail which is quite important!
    I will give them a call tomorrow and ask then
    Thanks!!

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Usually an old shirt t and shorts are fine to start in, often gyms sells beginner kit, otherwise Amazon is a good place to look for, as for which Gi, make sure its a BJJ Gi, and ask at the gym for what they suggest themselves.

Edit, don't buy a tshirt that says bjj just to train in, put that money into buying a gi instead.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah if you're going to no-gi, just wear shorts and a third shirt. Don't wear football shorts or shirts. Also, you can buy gis cheap anywhere. I like Valour. They are cheap and solid. If you want cheaper you can buy an addidas judo gi. It's the same thing.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think they're American so valour won't be available over there.

Seconded for the Adidas judo Gi, I've had a lightweight BJJ one which was terrible, and a entry level judo one which was great!

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Dead_pool likes this.