BJJ Knife Attack

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Woman gets attacked late at night by a man with a knife. Man is now in jail and the woman is unhurt, although I imagine traumatised to some degree (I would be). Nevertheless she did an unbelievable job getting away. I hope she can fully recovered physically and mentally.

aikiMac, Smaug97, Dead_pool and 3 others like this.
  2. quasar44

quasar44 New Member

Krav Maga is better with weapon def

3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I've wondered about that: it's unclear to me which style or training would give you the best chance against a knife. Krav? Silat? Something like No Lie Blades training?

Krav Maga makes a big deal about its training to defend against weapons, and I expect the Israeli military training is good. But I suspect the civilian training's a mixed bag, depending which Krav school you go to.

4. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Another opinion that you try to shove forward as the truth.

I think, after practicing Krav Maga for several years and Silat and Kali, that the latter are for me the ways to go. This because the Krav i was learning taught people about defending against a knife with vast techniques and the Silat/Kali that I learned taught me to use and defend against a blade with a set of principles which are more universal to apply to different attacks/situations.

I would check out the different option near you and see what works the best for you.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Most knife defense is so removed from reality it's not even funny,and that includes all the above.
    Go watch any knife class then go watch a video on line of a real attack,
    Or read this
    Self-defence against knife attacks: evidence-based approach | Self Defence - Krav Maga | London | Urban Fit & Fearless

Very few deal with the free hand which leads the majority of the time, or the fact the attacks happen so close and so quickly you are hit multiple times in seconds and so aggressively you are on the floor before you know it

If you defend a knife attack you are lucky or have a bigger weapon, even then it's 50/50

Monkey_Magic, Dead_pool and axelb like this.