BJJ, Judo, Sambo and Catch (this is for you, flashlock)

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by TheMightyMcClaw, May 23, 2007.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Now that I think about, I'm pretty sure I do have a tendency to keep one leg substantially further forward than the other, and that's why people keep shooting for it. That, and I sprawl terribly. And I am fighting Rhadi Ferguson.
    I'll try your advice for defending the single. Thanks.

2. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

wheres the double asterick at?

= D

3. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I don't know what all this nonsense is about leg shots not being used in judo. Leg shots are excellent in judo. They're not as common as uchimata, but nothing is. Kuchiki taoshi is one of my favorite throws to use in judo and other shooting attacks see use too.

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

It was meant to be after the Judo one :cry: Now all the internet kids won't think I'm cool.

5. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Really? As soon as they hit the ground, a bjj guy will instantly get a submission before an intelligent judo guy will be able to stand back 95% of the time? You guys practice that much putting on submissions in the middle of a throw?

6. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Do you think it might be because the leg takedowns aren't the bread and butter of Judo and thus people are slow with them or is it really that the gi inteferes? Have you tried defending against a judo guy who has done a lot of wrestling since it is bread and butter of the wrestler? I would be very interested in your response.

7. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

That certainly wasn't what I was trying to say at all. The part you had quoted was merely to show that wrestlers can compete very well against bjj guys when they understand the rules of the game and work on their weak areas.

I think each of them have their strengths and weaknesses. As a wrestler, I was very good at takedowns and positioning people where I wanted them. I was not so good at submissions and not giving up the back.

8. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Someone email Karo Parisian to go punch BJ Penn in the face and see what happens

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I have to be completely honest here and say... yes :D We have a guy at our club who went to Uni in America and as such wrestled a lot and he says that double legs are harder to pull off in the Gi than they are without it by a long way and he doesn't pull them off very often.

Having said that, I once went up against a wrestling instructor or something like at a seminar by Neil Adams after only a few months of training in Judo and he double legged me all day long :D He did however tell me afterwards that his double leg was his move and he'd been doing it for a long time so I felt better after that.

I'm not saying that double legs can't work with a Gi on by any means, I've done them myself a few times and there's always the chance that they will foul up, it's just they are no more or less brilliant than other throws with the Gi on, whereas without the Gi they have several significant advantages.

But really, the friction the Gi allows you to generate off even very minor contact coupled with the fact you may already have some sort of decent grip on them means that the double leg is harder.

10. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

quit while you're ahead

Shhhh! Yes it was! :woo:

:D