bjj instructors

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by bloc, May 9, 2007.

1. bloc

bloc Valued Member

Hey, i'm currently looking at bjj schools in my area and i was wondering what belt level does an instructor have to be at so that the training will be of a reasonably high standard?

I suppose it depends on the individual instructor but surely a certain level of skill and time studying bjj is required before instructing lessons. What level are most instructors?

At the school closest to me classes have recently started at a multi purpose ma school. The instructor is a purple belt and seems like a decent enough guy and is affiliated with Jorge Gurgel. Another bjj school which is abit further away only trains bjj and was trained by Bjorn Friedrich and Roy Harris( not sure who either are ) he has studied escrima and wing chun from the web site it seems that all he does is train. What ma school would be more likely to offer good training

Any advise or comments appreciated
    thanks.

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Gurgel is a solid and respected guy. Purple belt is more than high enough to teach, but I assume when you go for rank you will be expected to roll against some of Gurgels guy's so that you get proper perspective of your skill. I have friends who train under a purple, but when they got rank they had to go to D'Arce's school to show their stuff. I'd just go there, I haven't heard of the other guys.

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Gurgel is very well respected. Blue belt or above can teach beginners, although I've learnt loads off good white belts who never got promoted.

4. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Hi! I learned under a blue for quite a while (he's a purple now) and the white belts he helped train consistently do well in local grappling tournaments (with a 2 black belt Gracie affiliate just 30 min away, even ;)). A solid blue is all it takes to teach, as it represents a good understanding of the basics - which is all you should be studying as a beginner!

Instructor ranks vary. For white belts, the instructor's affinity for teaching beginners is far more important than the instructor's technical knowledge as long as that knowledge is middling blue or above.

Can you provide links to the websites of the places you're considering? I'm in the Gurgel family and might be able to provide some feedback. A pleasant benefit for you: if you join the Gurgel place soon you'll be able to study for 4-7 hours with Marcus Aurelio when he comes in for a seminar and free rolling June 2nd. I might even see you there!

5. bloc

bloc Valued Member

unfortunatly here wouldnt be much point posting a link to there sites as both are in german!

6. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Ah, I assumed you were in one of the local gyms. Doubt you'd want to fly out to train with Aurelio then ;)

7. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

i suppose the higher the rank the higher the person's knowledge of all of the subtle moves within a move.

8. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

True, but when your a beginner you just need to know the basics, and not all the subtle nuances in all techniques. That just confuses matters. But also i suppose you dont want to be picking up bad habits early on.

Hell, if your brand new a decent whitebelt can teach you enough to keep you busy for a long time. But generally you need a blue or above for proper instruction.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  9. Pipe Dream

Pipe Dream New Member

A decent Blue Belt is elligible for teaching. A purple belt can run his own school with distant supervision.

You can learn more from a blue belt in BJJ then you can from most black belts in other styles.

10. alister

alister Huh?

That's true - belt is not neccesarily an indicator of ability to teach, or in some cases, even ability on the mat - it varies so much from one school to another.

I know of places where there are blue belts that would be brown belts anywhere else and blue belts that will get owned by average white belts at other places.

As always, try it out - if it feels like good training and you can respect what the instructor is saying, coolio.

11. bloc

bloc Valued Member

Thanks for the info/feedback guys.

I might check out the 2nd option as he has gi and no-gi training and the purple belt only has 2 classes a week.

12. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Hey, how'd the club exploring go? did you go to the Jorge Gurgle purple belt place? If you do end up going there please tell the instructor (Niels, right?) hello from Dustin Ware's gym :)

13. bloc

bloc Valued Member

Hey, true thats the instructors name. How did you know that? small world!

14. Atharel

Atharel Errant

He trained with my instructor when he was over here. They still talk about him!