BJJ: Height -- Advantage or disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by theunforgiven, Oct 12, 2006.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

While having a lanky build does make it easier to get your legs wrapped around people for triangles/guard/hooks whathaveyou, it also has a lot of disadvantages IMHO. You've got a high center of gravity, so it's going to be much easier to take you down (more important in Judo, but still a factor in BJJ). Also, I believe that being lankier makes it harder to protect your limbs. Coupled with the fact that I'm not very strong, I find myself easily getting put into keylocks and the like.

2. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

That is pretty good pay. I've seen smaller shows pay a little more and some pay less here in Texas. Oh, if your Athletic Commision is similar to Texas', you won't fight every 2 weeks unless you plan on winning alot fights in the first round. You get AUTOMATIC suspensions when you get stopped(KO,tap,towel,etc), and 1 week for every round EVEN IF YOU WIN. They also have descresion(sp?) to suspend for longer periods if you get a bad KO or take damage.

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Edit: repost

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  4. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

I have much weights in my legs, granted i am all legs. I would say that center of gravity is just below my navel. yeah.

We dont have suspension rules like texas, you can do as much as you want in the wonderful hick state of MN

(PS: Canadians.... Wish i lived there.)

5. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Unforgiven, where do you train? I think being as tall as you are will be a liability in MMA due to the fact that you're not going to have any muscle compared your opponents.

6. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

I train at the American School of Mixed martial arts.... www.americanfistlaw.com

Remember MMA has weight classes... i am in the 155 (lightweight) class. So i wont fight a guy with a single lb over 155.
    However, in my classes, i purposely fight guys in excess of 200lbs allowing me to be able to throw that weight with ease. Then when i fight a lightweight, its going to be a peice of cake if im on my back

7. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

I think what he meant was since your competition will be smaller than you they will have mroe muscle and strength than you because alot of your weight will be attributed to your height where as the shorter people at 155 will have to have more muslce to be in that weight class.

8. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Ya that's what I meant sorry for not being very clear. In my opinion you want to be pretty close in height to the other competetors allowing you to put on proportional muscle. Look at Shawn Sherk. He's 155 and because he's only 5'6 he's stong enough to rip your arms off. I'm just saying you might want to think about adding 15.

9. gornex

gornex Valued Member

yeah, and if you do add 15 it doesn't mean you have to move up a weight class, it just means you will have to work harder to make weight.

10. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

The great thing about BJJ is that there are techniques for all body types... guys with long legs tend to be primarily excellent guard players and are a nightmare to deal with.

I guess the key is using techniques that apply well to you and discarding the ones that don't.